Will we make finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is hard to sack the coach on a finals appearance, would be a lot easier of a sell on a non finals appearance, once again, after making a granny
Either way, whether we make it or not don’t think Bev gets sacked.

Only way he’s not coaching next year at the Dogs, is if he says I have done my time here with this list and it is best for both we don’t waste another year and everyone’s time and effort.

I’m still in two minds whether he should be moved on or not BUT I know one thing for sure he needs better Assistants yes plural not one but two or three.

Bev with some new assistants and the right assistants maybe be a very different coach.

How compromised are we by the soft cap? Is money for assistants any part of the problem, if there is one?
No idea, but if it is compromised then cuts need to be made other places. The coaching has been very poor across the board. I still don’t know what to make of the half time vision of Webb talking to the midfield group.

Because in reality they've been better than us all year.
You want to put wallpaper over cracks, that's your right to do so. But for me, our coach and selection policy is shot.
We need a new voice, a new game plan and reset.
When we won the flag in 2016 I at the time thought stupidly we were in for a long string of success. Instead we have been very mediocre since.
Thanks Bevo for premiership but it's time to go.
Making finals won't "put wallpaper over cracks". They're obvious to everyone hence links to players and the club said to not be happy.

Making the finals changes nothing and it's pretty shitty to barrack against your club

Making finals won't "put wallpaper over cracks". They're obvious to everyone hence links to players and the club said to not be happy.

Making the finals changes nothing and it's pretty shitty to barrack against your club
I'm not barracking against my club. I want an earlier draft pick.
I want a new coach and I want people held accountable

If we make it in ahead of Carlton its because we have a better record than them, with both teams having quite similar W-L vs top 8 and bottom 10 sides. Did you think we "deserved" to make top 4 last year when we missed out?

It's also a big assumption to say that if we make the 8 we'll just wallpaper over the cracks whilst that wouldn't happen if we just fall short. Do you really think it's that black and white?
Yes, if we make finals it will take heat off the coaching panel.
It's just my opinion. My opinion is no better or wise than anyone else's opinion.

You're splitting hairs.

You're barracking against your club winning
I'm for the club improving. We have gone backwards, in fact we've been atrocious this year.
Without change we won't improve.
So if that's barracking against or splitting hairs I don't really care.
It's my opinion we can't keep doing the same thing over and over again and think results will change.

I'm for the club improving. We have gone backwards, in fact we've been atrocious this year.
It's my opinion we can't keep doing the same thing over and over again and think results will change.
You think the difference between 8th and 9th is going to spark mass change? And what do you want to be when you grow up?

The club is already said to be internally unhappy, they're chasing players that have been reported.

1 spot difference is doing nothing except giving players like JUH and Darcy some finals experience

You think the difference between 8th and 9th is going to spark mass change? And what do you want to be when you grow up?

The club is already said to be internally unhappy, they're chasing players that have been reported.

1 spot difference is doing nothing except giving players like JUH and Darcy some finals experience
It wallpapers over massive cracks.

Yesh... it doesn't, and all evidence points to the contrary.

You do you but I for one can never hope my team loses. That's a shithouse mindset
Tone it down. That's unnecessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure its clear to everyone, even Bevo, that we have some serious problems from the top down, gotta listen to his last few press conferences.

We know Grant is actively trying to lure defenders over to the Dogs. As for assistant coaches, yeah, we need at least two new ones (experienced, good coaches). If Bevo walks, he walks, he has one more year to run on his contract, would I re-sign him? No.

Last edited:
Is there any genuine possibility that Carlton and the Bulldogs finish with the exact same percentage?
Yes, there are possibilities, although unlikely and irrelevant.

For example, if our score is 109 - 97 and Carlton's score is 79 - 83. Our for and against would be 1995 - 1845 (108.1300813...%) and Carlton's would be 1862 - 1722 (also 108.1300813...%).

If this were to be the case though, I believe 3rd order of precedence is total points for, in which case we'd be ahead. There's obviously no real possibility of Carlton making up that extra 130 points and losing.

Bevo needs a break. Looks like the world is on his shoulders and has been like that since round 1. I still believe in him and I’m of the view that he needs some tough love from Grant and Bains to tell him to switch off for a couple months over the break and fully reset and recover.

I was much more confident regarding R23 in 2019,2020. It sucks that it isn't in our own hands.
Hawks won't be an easy run either. Even though we won by a comfortable amount they still challenged us and scored quite easily against us last time we played. And don't forget they rolled us over there last year too. They'll also be playing for Mcevoy. One of their few 2013-15 grand finalists remaining on the list.
Either way i'm looking forward to a premier league type day next Sunday.
And if we do sneak in I hope we play in Melbourne. A lot of us wouldn't have been to a final since 2016.
Go Dogs!

I genuinely hope that we don't make finals.

The benefits of not making finals are a longer break, a better draw next year and a better draft pick, among others. I don't believe we are any chance of achieving any success in this year's finals series and I don't think there's anything to be gained by making it. I suspect that the benefits of a game or two of finals experience into our younger players are overstated.

I believe that we are a much better chance at
achieving real success next year and I think missing finals this year improves our chances next season.

Ultimately I want as much success as possible for the club, just like I presume all of you do. The difference of opinion is that I believe we are better placed to have more overall success if we end our season early this year. I'm not advocating that we tank or anything like that either. I just think it would be a better outcome for us if we miss and therefore I find myself hoping that we do.

The benefits of not making finals are a longer break, a better draw next year and a better draft pick, among others. I don't believe we are any chance of achieving any success in this year's finals series and I don't think there's anything to be gained by making it. I suspect that the benefits of a game or two of finals experience into our younger players are overstated.

achieving real success next year and I think missing finals this year improves our chances next season.

Ultimately I want as much success as possible for the club, just like I presume all of you do. The difference of opinion is that I believe we are better placed to have more overall success if we end our season early this year. I'm not advocating that we tank or anything like that either. I just think it would be a better outcome for us if we miss and therefore I find myself hoping that we do.
I also think getting smacked a in final which lets be honest with what we’re putting out at the moment, in a cutthroat away final against a Freo/Sydney etc we will - could have more negative affects on the group than the experience gained

He ain’t wrong though.

Hoping we lose is just sallow.
You can make the point without being so unnecessarily derogatory though. There is no reason for us to talk to each other like we sometimes do on here.

I’m assuming (aside from any argument about whether we want to be in or not) that the following is the ideal outcome:

1. Collingwood lose this week and swans win
2. Collingwood beat Carlton next week
3. We beat hawthorn next week
4. Brisbane beat Melbourne next week
5. Freo beat gws next week
6. Sydney beat st kinda next week

This should give us an elimination against Melbourne.

See your point. But just for clarity, draw becomes no easier regardless of where you finish in the middle six. Finishing ninth is same likelihood of easier or harder draw than making and losing a final. See your view for the rest however.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back