Will we make finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

My point was Saints are stinking it up, as they often do. 0-3 and looking more and more likely to miss given their run home.
Saints missed their two rucks and will have them back by the time we play them.

I don’t feel confident on any of those games, mind you I wasn’t confident playing Swans, GWS, Collingwood, GC and Hawthorn, so what would I know.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we let even the worse teams in the comp kick multiple goals on us quickly.

Norf kicked 5 in 13 mins, wce and ess cut us up at times, it’s a real concern

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Posted something similar in the non-bulldogs footy thread, but if Stewart got five games then that would include our game v them at GMHBA - which would be a massive help. But almost guaranteed to get four and be raring to go against the dogs.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
Posted something similar in the non-bulldogs footy thread, but if Stewart got five games then that would include our game v them at GMHBA - which would be a massive help. But almost guaranteed to get four and be raring to go against the dogs.
He should get 6

4 weeks for what he did 1 for Prestia not been able to see out game and 1 for Prestia missing week after

If AFL is serious will be 6 weeks plus

Last time we played them Stewart was subbed out fairly early and game was at Marvel but we still managed to find a way to lose that game.
We actually lost the game twice at the start and when we fought back.

Last edited:

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
He should get 6

4 weeks for what he did 1 for Prestia not been able to see out game and 1 for Prestia missing week after

Last time we played them Stewart was subbed out fairly early and game was at Marvel but we still managed to find a way to lose that game.
Chris Scott was really smart at the press conference to straight away try and get the narrative out there that Tom Stewart is just such a great guy and so no way should he get more than 4 weeks.

If Toby Greene did that he would get 6+ and everyone knows it.

Andrew Gaff was always a good bloke until he did a dog act also. At the end of the day the punishment has to fit the crime regardless of who did it. And what he did was totally deplorable and the League needs to send a message to say that is unacceptable. To be honest I think he should get 6 weeks and that’s got nothing to do with when we play Geelong.

It was a disgraceful act. And he should have a very long stint on the sidelines but in the media Chris Scott set the narrative and the media has jumped on it and I expect the AFL to follow suit and he will get 4 weeks

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
I think we can only afford to drop 2 more games in order to make finals unless Golf Coast manage to knock off Collingwood or they drop a game that they would be expected to win.

If we lose to Brisbane then we need to beat either Melbourne or Geelong. It’s not impossible, we beat Melbourne last year and we almost beat Geelong but both are probably better now and we are not yet at that level. But I do think it’s possible for us to beat Brisbane and Sydney and then make the finals but it will be a really tough run and we need to win a few games we won’t be favoured in.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Well the Dogs are certainly up against it for at least five of the next six rounds. If you can win half of them then the Bulldogs are definite finalists. Good luck!

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Since the top 8 was introduced in the 1990s, no team has ever won 13 games and missed finals. Most teams with 12 wins make finals, especially when their % is healthy.

Ladder predictors make things seem harder than they really are because it's hard to predict shock losses some teams in the 8 will experience at some point.

If we can win 5 of the last 8, history says we'll be in the finals.Even if we go 4-4 from here our chances are high.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Since the top 8 was introduced in the 1990s, no team has ever won 13 games and missed finals. Most teams with 12 wins make finals, especially when their % is healthy.

Ladder predictors make things seem harder than they really are because it's hard to predict shock losses some teams in the 8 will experience at some point.

If we can win 5 of the last 8, history says we'll be in the finals.Even if we go 4-4 from here our chances are high.
The challenge is that as you approach the final rounds normally the teams placed 7th to 12th are often only separated by a single game and percentages. It's quite possible at that point to drop from 7th to 9th by losing a game and having a worse percentage than the two teams that were previously positioned below you. So you can't take anything for granted.

Darkpoet

Draftee
Jun 26, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
He should get 6

If AFL was legitimate about taking head trauma seriously, it should have been six weeks. $100,000 fine which was donated to head trauma unit and during the six week suspension, Tom Stewart couldn't train with Geelong, but volunteers at a head trauma clinic. But the AFL is not serious about head trauma. They are piss weak hypocrites with no accountability or responsibility.

Darkpoet

Draftee
Jun 26, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
If AFL was legitimate about taking head trauma seriously, it should have been six weeks. $100,000 fine which was donated to head trauma unit and during the six week suspension, Tom Stewart couldn't train with Geelong, but volunteers at a head trauma clinic. But the AFL is not serious about head trauma. They are piss weak hypocrites with no accountability or responsibility.
What has to happen for the AFL to make a stance and actually try and stamp this out? Anyone familiar with Michael Hutchence one hit by a policeman, hitting the gutter on the vital spot on the brain, which then triggered him into a fatal downward spiral? Spud Frawley's heart breaking story? Shane Tuck? The science and the data is all there in front of the AFL. If Prestia died on impact, would the AFL still tick off the umpires decision to not stop the game? At least Richmond had the balls to put their hand up and admit they should of called for a stretcher. In the future, if Prestia has mental health illnesses as a consequence, is Chris Scott still painting Tom Stewart as a knight in shining armour? This isn't aimed at Tom Stewart personally. Look at the the Phil Hughes tragedy, an innocent mistake. Someone's son dead. Someone's brother dead. Someone's friend dead. The defence counsel deemed Tom only had minimal time to react. Bottom line, he reacted, knowingly. If the players need to rewire their attack on a player, DO IT. Will it be easy? No. Do we want to see the great spectacle of AFL safe guarded at every possible level, NO. Get the players into the right mindset of making better decisions. Show them the possible consequences. Make a statement and try and prevent more tragedies from occurring. Four weeks is a slap in the face.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I reckon teams like StKilda and Dees are probably going through harder training blocks now in preparation for finals. We have no such luxury. Just for once I'd like to be legit top 4 and not have to scrap and bust a gut to make finals.

We may manage to limp in, but in the end nobody is beating Melbourne so its a moot point anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I reckon teams like StKilda and Dees are probably going through harder training blocks now in preparation for finals. We have no such luxury. Just for once I'd like to be legit top 4 and not have to scrap and bust a gut to make finals.

We may manage to limp in, but in the end nobody is beating Melbourne so its a moot point anyway.

StKilda aren’t doing extra training.

Dees are 1 injury away from being mortal. Any of Lever, May, Petracca, Gawn or Oliver; being out and they are part of the pack.

IF the Dees win it again, it’s better than Cats, Tigers, Lions, Pies, Blues or Swans. Aside from Freo, who have never won it, then Dees are clearly a better option.

StKilda aren’t doing extra training.

Dees are 1 injury away from being mortal. Any of Lever, May, Petracca, Gawn or Oliver; being out and they are part of the pack.

IF the Dees win it again, it’s better than Cats, Tigers, Lions, Pies, Blues or Swans. Aside from Freo, who have never won it, then Dees are clearly a better option.
If not us then Freo, Brisbane or St Kilda would be my preference. Then Melbourne.

What has to happen for the AFL to make a stance and actually try and stamp this out? Anyone familiar with Michael Hutchence one hit by a policeman, hitting the gutter on the vital spot on the brain, which then triggered him into a fatal downward spiral? Spud Frawley's heart breaking story? Shane Tuck? The science and the data is all there in front of the AFL. If Prestia died on impact, would the AFL still tick off the umpires decision to not stop the game? At least Richmond had the balls to put their hand up and admit they should of called for a stretcher. In the future, if Prestia has mental health illnesses as a consequence, is Chris Scott still painting Tom Stewart as a knight in shining armour? This isn't aimed at Tom Stewart personally. Look at the the Phil Hughes tragedy, an innocent mistake. Someone's son dead. Someone's brother dead. Someone's friend dead. The defence counsel deemed Tom only had minimal time to react. Bottom line, he reacted, knowingly. If the players need to rewire their attack on a player, DO IT. Will it be easy? No. Do we want to see the great spectacle of AFL safe guarded at every possible level, NO. Get the players into the right mindset of making better decisions. Show them the possible consequences. Make a statement and try and prevent more tragedies from occurring. Four weeks is a slap in the face.
This option is worth consideration:

It could be a sin bin eg 15 minutes or a dismissal for the rest of the game.
I’d prefer to see the offending side have to play one short on the field, not have a replacement player come on. However that’s a reasonable point for discussion and fine tuning. Replacing a hit man for a mere 15 minutes and then letting him come back on is a pretty soft measure IMO.

There would always be a subsequent multi-game suspension of course, if the tribunal sustains the charge.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Unless Jake Bowey gets falconed again. Melbourne has an on/off switch and it's Bowey's head. He copped a falcon at training, Melbourne lost three in a row, copped aother one, and they won again.

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No would need to win 3 of our next 5. After tonight not sure where those 3 come from? Probably saints given current form but will be underdogs in every other one.
Agree - and if I was listing 3 games for us to win in our tough 6 I would have included the Lions in poor form. Next week is an absolute must win now. I reckon if we lose to Sydney at the SCG (who we have a history of performing well against) then we would need a miracle to make the finals.

Last edited:

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have some players on our list who have taken a fair bit of punishment over the last few years. I'd prefer that we give those who need it a bit of a break and a chance to get their bodies right rather than make finals just for the sake of it. Grab a top 10 pick (plus whatver we get for Dunkley) and have a mini reset.

Slightly concerned we've missed our window as the midfield may never be as strong again as its been the last few years.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes the chances of winning 3 of the next 5 are pretty grim.

We are quoted at 2.5 against the swans

We would 50/50 against the saints and the same against Freo at best

About 4/1 against the cats at Geelong
About 3.5 against the Dees

This would be based on no more injuries getting Tim and Red back this week. Someone said ADZ hammy was suspect at the end of the game hope not. Bailey the week after and maybe Bruce and Toby week after that.

The reserves side are devoid any ready made talent to come in except for Toby.

So next week is a must win game because we are not beating the cats or dees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back