Will we make finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like us to make the Finals. I might even try to get to one if we make it. I have only been to one in 23 years, but, boy, that one was a doozy! (I don't count the Richmond/Hawthorn FQF in 2018 that I went to with my brother. Damn Tigers.)

Still think it comes down to the final Sunday of the year...

Hawthorn v Dogs
Carlton v Collingwood
St Kilda v Sydney

Another guilt-edged opportunity against a team that has been our nemesis in the last round of the year in the past.
That’s assuming we defeat GWS? And that is a mighty big ‘if’.

Interesting that us and Blues fans are both largely convinced it's bordering on impossible for each of us to make finals. One of us has gotta make it.
I can understand the pessimism of Blues fans but it’s still highly likely they play finals. Basically out of the 4 games left between the two clubs, just one has to go their way. That being said, probably each of those games starts in ‘our’ favour.

I don’t think the Saints are going to knock off two top 5 sides to make it.

Making a GF aside, the most important thing about last year was defeating Bummers week one and keeping their long run without a finals win intact.

Sneaking into finals this year probably doesn't mean much to us in the long run but if we can keep Carlton's finalless run going then I'm desperately keen to see us do so.

Those who think otherwise may not have a full appreciation of our history with Carlton.

So to any Dogs fans who reckon the next 2 weeks dont mean much, I say pigs arse.

I can understand the pessimism of Blues fans but it’s still highly likely they play finals. Basically out of the 4 games left between the two clubs, just one has to go their way. That being said, probably each of those games starts in ‘our’ favour.

The Blues have to knock off one of the 2 top 3 sides..... without Cripps

Yep. It’s about $1.25 Carlton and $5 for bulldogs. Feels about right, as blues could lose both and still get there if we fall over in Tassie - plus even GWS looked half decent yesterday.

Saints also $5, which I’d be tempted by as although they’re playing lions and swans both games are at Marvel and I can easily see them jagging one. Problem for them is their percentage, but it would be interesting if Melbourne smashed Carlton next week and took 4-5 percentage points off them.

Right now finishing fifth looks like a decent place to be, because none of the three contenders for eighth are playing anything close to finals quality footy.

That last Sunday could be pretty epic.
If we win, the Saints win and Carlton lose next week it will be massive. We're first up to stay alive against Hawks, then Carlton play the Pies in a blockbuster to snatch a place in the 8 whilst the Pies play for top 4 and then the Saints play to screw us both, if Carlton lose, against Sydney who'll be playing for a top 4 spot.

It's unfathomable, but we could all be barracking for Sydney in the last game of home and away.

Super Sunday awaits....if we can through next week

I don’t think we need to hope they don’t make finals so the club conducts a thorough review. It’ll happen anyway.

If it’s obvious to amateur’s like us that our seasons been poor, I’m sure a professional sporting organisation has some idea too.
The club would conduct monthly and annual reviews regardless of performance or ladder position.

It’s pretty clear going on previous press conferences that there’s list issues the clubs aware of. There’s also been mention of the strange assistant coaches situation we found ourselves per season, pointing to changes there. We’d already be balls deep in correcting what went wrong this year, with any onfield adjustments getting sorted once the seasons over.
Us playing in finals and giving the fans something to be excited about won’t change a single thing in that regard.

Too many Debbie Downers in here. I’ll 100% be be up and about if we make finals. Best time of the year.
I admire your optimism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think we need to hope they don’t make finals so the club conducts a thorough review. It’ll happen anyway.

If it’s obvious to amateur’s like us that our seasons been poor, I’m sure a professional sporting organisation has some idea too.
The club would conduct monthly and annual reviews regardless of performance or ladder position.

It’s pretty clear going on previous press conferences that there’s list issues the clubs aware of. There’s also been mention of the strange assistant coaches situation we found ourselves per season, pointing to changes there. We’d already be balls deep in correcting what went wrong this year, with any onfield adjustments getting sorted once the seasons over.
Us playing in finals and giving the fans something to be excited about won’t change a single thing in that regard.

Too many Debbie Downers in here. I’ll 100% be be up and about if we make finals. Best time of the year.
Yes, I'm just not anywhere near the "hope we don't make finals" brigade. I want to make finals every year. Anything can happen. Fcuk, we might even win one or more and get the endorphin hit we crave.

And if we lose...well someone has to. But in the meantime, a young player with a future might have got a taste that he remembers and which bears fruit down the track.

I hope not... I couldn't take winning three quarters and then losing a quarter and the game in a. final.... :sick:

I’m with NW. How can people call themselves Bulldog supporters and hope we don’t make the finals?

Look I think we’re done for 2022 but I’ll be cheering them on until it’s a mathematical impossibility.

And even after that.

We've gotta be worth a punt at 5s. That's overs.... please gamble responsibly
Not really.

We're 50-50 to win both games. Carlton need to win just 1 of their last 2, starting as underdogs against Melbourne but close to 50-50 vs Collingwood. They get 2 bites at that cherry and we can't slip up, without factoring in St Kilda doing the unlikely. So, 50% for us to win both, 50% for Carlton to beat Collingwood, and some other lower chance possibles to take us out to a roughly 1 in 5 chance.

There's so much to play out, even with only 2 games to go.

Not really.

We're 50-50 to win both games. Carlton need to win just 1 of their last 2, starting as underdogs against Melbourne but close to 50-50 vs Collingwood. They get 2 bites at that cherry and we can't slip up, without factoring in St Kilda doing the unlikely. So, 50% for us to win both, 50% for Carlton to beat Collingwood, and some other lower chance possibles to take us out to a roughly 1 in 5 chance.

Carltank potentially without Cripps

Not really.

Surely they are less than 50% chance against Collingwood, they most likely be without their three best inside mids as well. Hopefully Pies lose to Sydney this week and it means they will be playing against Carlton with top 4 spot on the line.

Agree that there is so much to play out though, hopefully we win this week and Carlton lose so at least going into that last Sunday it'll make it interesting.

Funny. I thought we blew it in 2016 by losing the last game and finishing 7th which meant we missed a home Elim final.

Rest is history.....

Pretty sure by the time we played Freo we knew it didn't matter if we won or lost, we couldn't get a home final anyway. Yep, just checked the ladder and WC were already on 16 wins in 6th with a percentage of 130. 16 wins and 130 and they were sixth! What a weird year.

Problem we have is relying on other games now just to get in, plus this team doesn't look anywhere near as competent as that 2016 team. The latter was 15-6 going into the last round, and we'll be at best four wins behind that going into the hawks game.

But where there's still hope we can cling on to it I suppose. Whoever finishes fifth won't be in awesome form going into finals, and there's a chance it'll be at home anyway (if dees or pies slip to fifth). If it's not then it could be Freo or Brisbane, neither of whom are in awesome form.

I just wish our side was in better form, and had some level of competence defensively, as then maybe we'd all be a bit more positive about the potential outcomes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back