Will we make the 8?

Where will the dees finish?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
With our current form (and our tough fixture) it's plausible that we miss the finals. Leigh Montagna has finally come out and said that it is indeed a possibility.

‘Is it possible they miss the eight?’ Closest race in years has Demons staring down the unthinkable

With our current form we lose to Brisbane x 2, Collingwood, Geelong (in Geelong), Frem (in Freo) and Carlton. That's 6 losses. Then we have the bulldogs which is a 50/50. The only wins I would expect are Adelaide and Port Adelaide. Assuming we beat the dogs, Adel and Port then we finish on 13 wins for the season. Last year 13 wins would've got us 7th but this year even Collingwood are 8-5 and sitting 9th.

Our on field issues were obvious after Round 3 when we almost lost to Essendon after almost losing to Gold Coast the week before. Our issues should have been addressed then. Our issues with lack of pressure across the ground, and issues forward of centre. Unfortunately, it seems our players, coaches and some supporters hid behind the win-loss record despite the poor form on field.

As far as I'm concerned Top 4 is finished and the best we can hope for is 5th-8th. But we need to turn around form NOW. No more excuses. No more 'May was out', 'Gawn is out', 'Brisbane are a great team', 'we'll go to a different level in finals' etc. Enough of that. Time is now. Time to apply pressure around the ground. It's been missing all season long.

Top 4 is gone? Its fine to make emotional posts straight after a game but you're kidding is you think it is 'finished'. Lose to Brisbane and we're actually still in the 4. I expect we'll consolidate into top 4 as the top 6 all play each other on the run home so even a 50/50 run probably sees us make the 4. Absolute pisstake to say we're going to miss finals though, even for you danster.

supercool-creative-agency-attention.jpg

I’ll go 3-4. I think we’ll bounce back. Our best is very, very good and I don’t think the list has suddenly lost the ability to perform at that level.

Over the half way mark and turning for home, coaches will realise it’s time to make some tweaks and not just rely on our defensive game to bank wins. Hoping for us take the game on more and get some of our pressure game back. Hopefully open up the fwd 50 to give our forwards a better chance too.

Last edited:
Also which supporters hid behind the win loss record? I think the board was in unanimous agreement that we were playing s**t football despite the wins. Youre trying to start a fight that isn't even there Danny Boy.

We almost lost to essendon and gold coast? First of all we were never losing those games. The Gold Coast game we got to a 20 point lead and ended up winning by 13, gold coast never hit the lead after quarter time. Also the gold coast are proving to be a tough opponent at home. Essendon had their chances but would hardly say we almost lost that game. I still think we'll be top 4 but there's no doubt form needs to pick up.

Top 4 is gone? Its fine to make emotional posts straight after a game but you're kidding is you think it is 'finished'. Lose to Brisbane and we're actually still in the 4. I expect we'll consolidate into top 4 as the top 6 all play each other on the run home so even a 50/50 run probably sees us make the 4. Absolute pisstake to say we're going to miss finals though, even for you danster.
Lets just see what the people say. i only stand for 1 vote.

Also which supporters hid behind the win loss record? I think the board was in unanimous agreement that we were playing s**t football despite the wins. Youre trying to start a fight that isn't even there Danny Boy.
Nah definitely not. i just want to see where people think we'll finish. i don't agree with your viewpoint that supporters unanimously believed we were playing poorly. i'm pretty sure i was the only one saying it. My recollection was the majority of supporters saying 'we put the foot down when we need to', 'we just play in 2nd gear and go bang when we need to', 'we don't play to win by much, we just play to win'. Those people have all disappeared now.

Nah definitely not. i just want to see where people think we'll finish. i don't agree with your viewpoint that supporters unanimously believed we were playing poorly. i'm pretty sure i was the only one saying it. My recollection was the majority of supporters saying 'we put the foot down when we need to', 'we just play in 2nd gear and go bang when we need to', 'we don't play to win by much, we just play to win'. Those people have all disappeared now.

You definitely were not the only one, plenty of us bitching and moaning about how bad we played in our review threads.

You live in a fantasy world

You definitely were not the only one, plenty of us bitching and moaning about how bad we played in our review threads.

You live in a fantasy world
Yeah, maybe when we lost. But I don't recall anyone complaining after Round 3 when we were clearly playing awful football? I call a spade a spade and get shunned for it. 5 weeks later people are regurgitating the exact same stuff I have been saying this whole time.

But we're getting off topic. :)

Yeah, maybe when we lost. But I don't recall anyone complaining after Round 3 when we were clearly playing awful football? I call a spade a spade and get shunned for it. 5 weeks later people are regurgitating the exact same stuff I have been saying this whole time.

But we're getting off topic. :)
Just a few I just found

From round 2

Id rather measure the level of smell of every member of this boards s**t in a bag than watch that game again.

GC were ******* crap for most of the game, we were probably worse but we are just better. GC aint playing finals again. Playing all out attack for a quarter and a half and then doing nothing in the second aint playing well. Mind you we were just barely better. Chuck the tape in the bin and never ever talk about it again

In 2020 we lose this game for sure. The constant dump kicks to 4 blokes standing round in the same pocket was nightmare fuel, though I reckon Goody might have brought it back exclusively as a bigger part of the game plan just for tonight, allow us to play the territory game in the slippery conditions and as to not expose our VFL back line on the counterattack.I very much hope its shelved next week.

This was the first win I've been 'bored' with, which I don't think we've been successful enough for long enough to be the case. In years gone by I'd take a crappy win and be happy, but last night I was content with the 4 points and move onto next week, was a horrible game to watch, but we did enough to get the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a few I just found

From round 2

Amazing stuff by me, identifying our horrendous F50's in round 2. Better start a thread disguised as something else just to give myself a pump up coz no one else will . ie: The danster method.

Amazing stuff by me, identifying our horrendous F50's in round 2. Better start a thread disguised as something else just to give myself a pump up coz no one else will . ie: The danster method.
Exactly why I picked your quote, you're the first person to notice our horrendous forward 50 entries. Nobody has ever identified this as a problem before.

Exactly why I picked your quote, you're the first person to notice our horrendous forward 50 entries. Nobody has ever identified this as a problem before.

:tearsofjoy:

Some pretty insightful stuff from Montagna here:
“They’ve lost three in a row … I want to pose the question is it possible to miss the eight? Is it possible, definitely, to miss the top four?”
“I’m not saying they will. But when you think about how even the competition is. I’m just throwing it out there that this is a challenge for them.”
“I think legitimately they can miss out on top four if they don’t get going again.”

Wow. Credit where credit is due - I guess he understands basic math, and he also understands that the more games you win, the more points you get, and the higher you finish on the ladder. Conversely, if you don't play well and you lose games, you don't get enough of those points, and you miss the top 4 and a second chance. If you lose even more games and get even less points, you miss the top 8, and don't make finals. Very interesting. He's earned his paycheck this week, Leigh.

Seriously though, if we legitimately see ourselves as a top team (and we should), the run home we've got is the perfect preparation for a finals campaign. You don't really want to be going into final playing crap teams. You want to be battle hardened, and you want to be tested. There will lots of opportunities for Goody's 'learnings'.

It will likely be a bit of a rocky run through to the finals, and we've got to pull our finger out quickly, but I reckon we still finish at least top 4.

Some pretty insightful stuff from Montagna here:
“They’ve lost three in a row … I want to pose the question is it possible to miss the eight? Is it possible, definitely, to miss the top four?”
“I’m not saying they will. But when you think about how even the competition is. I’m just throwing it out there that this is a challenge for them.”
“I think legitimately they can miss out on top four if they don’t get going again.”

Wow. Credit where credit is due - I guess he understands basic math, and he also understands that the more games you win, the more points you get, and the higher you finish on the ladder. Conversely, if you don't play well and you lose games, you don't get enough of those points, and you miss the top 4 and a second chance. If you lose even more games and get even less points, you miss the top 8, and don't make finals. Very interesting. He's earned his paycheck this week, Leigh.

Seriously though, if we legitimately see ourselves as a top team (and we should), the run home we've got is the perfect preparation for a finals campaign. You don't really want to be going into final playing crap teams. You want to be battle hardened, and you want to be tested. There will lots of opportunities for Goody's 'learnings'.

It will likely be a bit of a rocky run through to the finals, and we've got to pull our finger out quickly, but I reckon we still finish at least top 4.
I agree in that it's perfect preparation for finals if we turn the tide. If we beat Brisbane this week, we can turn our season around. massive game.

Back