Will we see a fire sale at Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

So everything he does is discounted because he played in a good team? I hope he does end up as good as him, there's nothing better than seeing a rioli tearing up the AFL

Not at all, he's still individually one of the great small forwards. But it's definitely a position that is largely reliant on team success and Hawthorn were one of, maybe even the greatest team of all time during Cyril's peak. That's not to say he didn't contribute to the success though.

Just look at Eddie at Carlton Vs Eddie at Adelaide as the main example that a good team makes the small fwd a whole lot better.

As you said though, Riolis are awesome, and at this stage if anyone is going to challenge Cyril, it's Daniel. Just need the Tigers to maintain this game style as it suits Dan to a T.

Richmond received that exact same pick for Brett Deledio, who is both older and significantly less decorated than Cyril. If Richmond make finals this year they'll be doing whatever they can to keep that form going. If GWS 1st is worth worth Brett Deledio, it's easily worth Cyril Rioli.
nah. we're focusing on talls this draft. Got enough small forwards, etc
someone like Gunston would get us interested

They can be interested all they want.

Most of the ones we want stay.

And no. Ì seriously doubt we would want Cyril. He doesnt fill a need.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion. But hear me out on this anyway. GWS of 2016 are similar to West coast of 1990: Recruited a lot of 18-20 year olds. No its been 4 full seasons Those 18-20 year olds are now 22-24 year olds about to hit their prime years and about to have a 5-6 year run of finals.

I can see Cyril fit in the GWS side rotating on the bench, Forward flank and forward pocket. 2015 GF aside, Cyril was always a guy that got around 10-5 disposals a game. If he has a good game, he would get 2-4 goals easily. Cyril was always an impact player. I can see why GWS got Steve Johnson: Finals experience, Premiership player and has played well when his team won a flag.

If GWS makes the GF, a guy like Stevie J can be a difference maker. Still think he could go on in 2018 as well.

The reasons why GWS wouldn't want him is because he is injury prone and he is contracted, meaning Hawks would want overs for him. If Cyril was a Free agent, the deal would be easier to make.

The question should be who the Hawks can trade in, rather than out. We just want the firewood to build a bigger trophy cabinet.

Hawthorn should probably look to trade for several mid-range draft picks rather than one top one, imo. E.g. ask for a 20 and 30 instead of one top 10 pick (I'm just using an example).

They will have some holes appearing in their list very quickly, with not a great deal coming through......it might be better to amass quantity over quality in the very short term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just my opinion. But hear me out on this anyway. GWS of 2016 are similar to West coast of 1990: Recruited a lot of 18-20 year olds. No its been 4 full seasons Those 18-20 year olds are now 22-24 year olds about to hit their prime years and about to have a 5-6 year run of finals.

I can see Cyril fit in the GWS side rotating on the bench, Forward flank and forward pocket. 2015 GF aside, Cyril was always a guy that got around 10-5 disposals a game. If he has a good game, he would get 2-4 goals easily. Cyril was always an impact player. I can see why GWS got Steve Johnson: Finals experience, Premiership player and has played well when his team won a flag.

If GWS makes the GF, a guy like Stevie J can be a difference maker. Still think he could go on in 2018 as well.

The reasons why GWS wouldn't want him is because he is injury prone and he is contracted, meaning Hawks would want overs for him. If Cyril was a Free agent, the deal would be easier to make.
Not such a bad thing for us, another positive would be a senior player from their system would likely be a pisitive influence. I'd still favour Bruest though as the best fit. I'm not sold on the concept of a talented list going for mercurial brilliance. I think solid and consistent is the brst fit for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back