Will we soon see somebody crack 'The Kickett' and play for 5 clubs?

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Dale Kickett was famously a 4 time reject before finding his niche in the league in silly Freo sides of the mid to late 90s - 20 years now since he clocked up club #5 after league footy stints with Fitzroy, West Coast, St Kilda and Essendon.

Jon Giles is at club #4 (but didn't play senior footy at Port) - but from my memory we haven't had anybody crack the 5 since Kickett.

With the increase in player movement could this become a more common occurrence?

This year alone we are seeing relatively young players like Caddy, Kobe Stevens, Palmer and Hamling clocking up their 3rd stop.

Will clubs (and players) be more willing to say 'not working out, time to move on' a bit quicker than the standard 'justify the trade until the bitter end' stuff that clubs have generally stuck with?

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dale Kickett was famously a 4 time reject before finding his niche in the league in silly Freo sides of the mid to late 90s - 20 years now since he clocked up club #5 after league footy stints with Fitzroy, West Coast, St Kilda and Essendon.

Jon Giles is at club #4 (but didn't play senior footy at Port) - but from my memory we haven't had anybody crack the 5 since Kickett.

With the increase in player movement could this become a more common occurrence?

i'd imagine that when/if AFL clubs are given the option to trade people without their consent it will become much more common.

How many is Spangher on?

It's still pretty rare. Giles is on four, but I can only name Hamling, Lamb, Dawson, Caddy, Spangher, Giles, Mumford and Stevens on 3+ currently.

Going beyond 3 is tough because if you are good enough to be in the league that long you generally lock down a club...or you're a ruckman.

Josh Caddy is well on his way, getting passed around like a joint at a 17 year old's birthday party on the surf coast...
Puff, puff, give

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Clubs willingness to take 25;26 year olds may add to it;
There seems to be more confidence in vfl recruitment also but thats got flying f*** to do with it
Maybe someone will make it their mission, I am famous for .......

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
How many is Spangher on?

It's still pretty rare. Giles is on four, but I can only name Hamling, Lamb, Dawson, Caddy, Spangher, Giles, Mumford and Stevens on 3+ currently.

Going beyond 3 is tough because if you are good enough to be in the league that long you generally lock down a club...or you're a ruckman.

No doubt it is rare - but like I said, we've added 4 guys to that list over the last week.

Stevens I reckon is the best chance out of that lot - he looks the part, has some positive traits that coaches like...but ultimately is probably not quite good enough to cut it in the midfield of a top team - so he gets squeezed out. Wouldn't be stunned if this happened at St Kilda too.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
justin murphy, rich-carl-geelong-carl-ess, but only 4 clubs

i'm sure we've tried to get everitt to #4. sent henderson to #3 last year, now finally playing his best position and might see his time out at geelong.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
How many is Spangher on?

Dan Currie, Jeremy Laidler, Andrejs Everitt, Lachie Henderson, Rhys Palmer

Probably a few more

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Caddys a chance but I think Richmond would have to bottom out and a top club who needs some midfield depth would need to chase him in say 3 years
Then maybe at age 30 he goes to a bottom club again to add experience or whatever
Still seems very unlikely with clubs less likely to pick up journeyman 27+ year Olds than they used to with this obsession with rebuilding

Ben Hudson will make a comeback from retirement soon, surely.

Probably to club number 5 (Adelaide, Bulldogs, Brisbane then Collingwood so far).

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ben Hudson will make a comeback from retirement soon, surely.

Probably to club number 5 (Adelaide, Bulldogs, Brisbane then Collingwood so far).
Made even more remarkable that he wasn't just cut from the Bulldogs or Brisbane, he announced his retirement from both.

Surely holds the record for most retirements.

Made even more remarkable that he wasn't just cut from the Bulldogs or Brisbane, he announced his retirement from both.

Surely holds the record for most retirements.

Going for his 3rd gold watch?

God Mode

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2011
Mount Olympus
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bulls
Caddys a chance but I think Richmond would have to bottom out and a top club who needs some midfield depth would need to chase him in say 3 years
Then maybe at age 30 he goes to a bottom club again to add experience or whatever
Still seems very unlikely with clubs less likely to pick up journeyman 27+ year Olds than they used to with this obsession with rebuilding
Richmond would have to bottom out? I like those odds!

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Everett is surely going to Bris/GC, which will be his fourth team. If he goes to Brisbane first, then his fifth club could potentially be GC and he gets to the magic 5. Scott Clayton now at GC always loved him and will no doubt get him in.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Dan Currie, Jeremy Laidler, Andrejs Everitt, Lachie Henderson, Rhys Palmer

Probably a few more

Coincidence that all the names you mentioned were born in 1989.

Generally, it makes me feel old that there are 3 club players born in the 1990's. (Jed Lamb and Josh Caddy both born in 1992.)

Back