Strategy Will we tag Duckwood?

Will we tag Duckwood?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking Friday night after danger puts in that extra effort gets 35 disposals and kicks 3 goals that you will be still saying it was all down to Selwoods good work

I can accept danger is probably the best player in the league maybe you can't

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not denying Dangerfield one of the best in the Game, But we are not talking about how good he is, we are talking about reducing his effectiveness

Wandering if danger is tagged out of it who is Selwood going to feed it too

Guthrie maybe so we can win it back

Ducan, Menegola, Scott Selwood, Blicavs.

Thread topic is "Will we tag [Sel]wood?"

My guess is, probably not. Pyke seems not to favour the tag option.
I'm worried about the loose man/men behind the ball that Chris Scott has used so effectively against us before.

If they do, send Sloane to Selwood to break the tag like he did using Fyfe

Good suggestion, which worked against Freo because Sloane's tag freed up one of our midfielders a bit.

I would love to see Rory Laird run with him he's tough, bush piggish and capable of negating and winning his own ball in close. Selwood wouldn't know what hit him.

I was going to suggest Laird but wouldn't that make us lose a lot of Laird's intercepts and run from half-back? I think Greenwood is skilled and fast enough to run @ or with Dangerfield, or just to act as an intercept to disrupt the Selwood-to-Dangerfield traffic. Dangerfield does get a lot of his own ball, though, low-down and at pace. Greenwood is similar but without Danger's muscle. Could be interesting match-up.

No he would be good but just not as damaging. I think it has been explained pretty well but I will give it a try.

Selwood is more suceptiable to a hard tag. Has shown that, if a player is willingly to focus all there energy on Selwood, then Selwood will probably focus all his energy on the tagger. This hurts Geelong in a number of ways. Firstly, Selwood wastes all his energy on behind play wrestling and rough housing meaning he is not being a general leader and Directing the troops.

Secondly, Selwood doesn't get the ball which means he doesn't feed the ball to players like Dangerfield and Duncan. This then means Dangerfield has to be the extractor which isn't all bad because he can definitely do that role as well, but he is more likely to butcher kicks and has less time and space to do damaging dangerfield things like run 20m and kick 50m.

This doesn't mean danger will have a bad game but likely means that he will not be as influential as he may of been if allowed to do what he does best throughout the whole game.

Now you can try tag danger over Selwood but there is a few issues with this. Firstly, Dangerfield is less susceptiable to a tag because of the way he plays the game. Secondly, it allows Selwood to roam free, getting possessions and dishing them off to others like Dangerfield, as even with a tag trying to run with Dangerfield, provided with the right delivery, not many will be able to stop him. This also allows Selwood to direct play with no distractions making the team as a whole better.

IMO the only reason you would tag danger over Selwood is if you have a player that has the ability to go with him. Otherwise what happens is selwood both plays well and provides leadership with no tag, and the Dangerfield tag is ineffective and he also plays well. Making the whole thing pointless.
marty36 , read this again. Let it sink in. Then read it once more.

Thread topic is "Will we tag [Sel]wood?"

My guess is, probably not. Pyke seems not to favour the tag option.

Well Scott will not be so kind to us, that is for certain. Both Sloane and Smith will be wearing hard tags.

I'm guessing we will try to send Sloane to Danger, as we did to Fyfe, to try to shake the tag and/or free up a Crouch

I'm worried about the loose man/men behind the ball that Chris Scott has used so effectively against us before.
If When they put a loose behind the ball we need to man him up with a defensive forward that can give him a contest, pressure his disposal and hurt him the other way. Perhaps Greenwood at different times.

I would put Douglas to Selwood. In terms of body, tank and midfield experience he's probably most suitable

marty36 , read this again. Let it sink in. Then read it once more.

MMMM Is that the same as instead of stopping buddy doing his freak arse things when you play Sydney that you stop the guys getting it to him. Unfortunatly you stop one another steps up

Its easier stopping one player who destroys you than an entire team if you stop selwood it wont stop Danger they do have 20 other playesr playing

I think Pyke will go down this path personally and will back his team to ensure Danger doesnt get too much of it, personally I would rather a tight tag on the man most are worrying about

But its Pykes call and he loves backing the team and he hasnt been too far wrong this year so I cant complain

Im just not looking forward to walking out of their ground friday night if danger tears it up

I would put Douglas to Selwood. In terms of body, tank and midfield experience he's probably most suitable
Could do, good idea.
Next comment shows my Crows bias, I suppose, but I reckon if the Crows turn up to play and are switched on, AND maintain that for four quarters, then Geelong won't get close, as per GWS, Richmond, and Freo.
Stopping Selwood and Dangerfield is impossible, tag or not. But a determined Crows midfield can curb their influence and get on top as a unit.

Could do, good idea.
Next comment shows my Crows bias, I suppose, but I reckon if the Crows turn up to play and are switched on, AND maintain that for four quarters, then Geelong won't get close, as per GWS, Richmond, and Freo.
Stopping Selwood and Dangerfield is impossible, tag or not. But a determined Crows midfield can curb their influence and get on top as a unit.

I think most know Pyke will back his team to shut them down cant see him tagging either, Sloane will go head to head with one but no tag

At least I havent made the point about Mackay 15,000,000,000,000 times
Indeed, but your posting style at times is as equally painful as the recurring Mackay posts.

We are all responsible for this board & it's childish to behave badly just because others do.

At least I havent made the point about Mackay 15,000,000,000,000 times

How many times this season have you told everyone that Mackay is awesome because he keeps getting selected so that makes him awesome and the selectors are awsome but not really the ones that make the selection that would be Pyke because he is the head coach and what he says is final because he is awesome and everyone else with an opinion are just biased idiots because it just obvious that Mackay is awesome because Pyke says so not Campo?

I reckon you are closing in on that figure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times this season have you told everyone that Mackay is awesome because he keeps getting selected so that makes him awesome and the selectors are awsome but not really the ones that make the selection that would be Pyke because he is the head coach and what he says is final because he is awesome and everyone else with an opinion are just biased idiots because it just obvious that Mackay is awesome because Pyke says so not Campo?

Holy s**t, you just captured his voice perfectly.

Couldn't give a toss about Mackay wAnted Wigg in for him last week and wanted a bet on it

Form is the only thing I'm interested in

Lols at this: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-30/crows-ready-to-embrace-dangerwood-tightly

Yep, totes going to use Laird as a tagger. Absolutely going to sacrifice the #2 possession getter in the league and all our half back rebound to do this. For sure.
Yep Laird was a red herring, Campo wasn't going to say anything, the journo offered up Laird and Campo gave a "yeah sure why not".

He didn't say who, but it sounded a lot like we're going to find out who our mystery pre-season tagger is this week :thumbsu:

How am I going?
To be fair we all knew. I only made the thread because we know Bickley and Rowe read the board looking for talking points and hoping beyond hope it would put some kind of pressure or alertness out there.

Alas we support a robotic club who can do the same thing over and again well but can't adapt.

Just trying to do my bit

To be fair we all knew. I only made the thread because we know Bickley and Rowe read the board looking for talking points and hoping beyond hope it would put some kind of pressure or alertness out there.

Alas we support a robotic club who can do the same thing over and again well but can't adapt.

Just trying to do my bit
Rowe was asking Lever in the interview last week whether we would tag these two. Basically saying that he would go spare if they were talking next week and we'd let them run free.

Wonder if Rowie will be true to his word.

Back