Will we win a flag in the next 3 years?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Honest question. Straight up answers required. We know the facts, we know the list position, we know the competition, we know the history, we know the expectation and we know the realities of footy.

Do you think (in your honest opinion) with the group we have as a foundation, we will win a premiership in the next 3 years?

That’s out of 2018, 2019, 2020.

If so, why?
If not, why?

Thank you

Will we? Who knows, impossible to answer, too many variables.

Can we? Absolutely.

Our list will be coming into a very good position with talent all over the ground coming into their prime at the same time. We have a coach that is willing to take risks and play a game style that can be highly rewarding. We've proved we can travel well and take it up to the best opposition in the comp already.

We do drop games against weaker sides but that is a problem solved with experience.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes. Maybe this year, huge show next year. There are no dominant sides, and GWS who were looking like a juggernaut have lost a s**t load of players. Sydney are on the wane, Tiggers are a one trick pony that will quickly be worked out. I think our list is in the best shape in the comp bar maybe GWS.
But so much of it comes down to luck and having your best 22 available in September.

If you had said 5 years, the way Melbourne is going, I'd say Top 2-4 definitely. 3 years though...Something would have to shift with the top teams already there. This isn't back in the 90s when Melbourne could be bottom-dwellers then Grand Finalists in consecutive years.

That's the fun about the future. Nothing and everything could happen.

Demons Advocate

Senior List
Jul 11, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Haha who the * knows. We have a list that is capable but it's impossible to say definitively, for any team.

Having said that, yes certainly 2019 maybe 2020.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
No. We'll go unfairly close and then be left to rue what might have been.
Yep. If there was away to miss out on the GF on percentage due to another team winning a different game, that's what would happen

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
My feeling is that we will do a Hawthorn of 08 and win it next year against a favourite. Possibly Port Adelaide. This year I think we will make a semi final, but beating a top 4 side in the second week will be a big ask for our group.

If we were to somehow make top 4 this year any chance we have would rest on the qualifying final. Playing 4 finals including a potential interstate prelim would be a bridge too far, but if we won and set up a MCG prelim the sky is the limit.

I thought we had a really good chance of winning a couple of flags in the next three years. But then after last night......oh, sorry, you meant the men's team. :(
sad reacts only

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
For a straight up answer - yes.

This is the best I’ve ever felt about an MFC list. The talent on our list is real, just the winning culture hasn’t been established yet. Once our young guns gain enough experience and actually expect to win every week, then look out. I am very bullish.

But having said this, it can all go to s**t so easily; a career ending injury here, a falling out between team mates there, nothing is a fait accompli. There are just so many variables. I dare say dees’ fans probably felt pretty similarly upbeat around ‘94, for example, thinking premierships were on the way only to see the Ox do his knee, Sean Charles break his wrist, and it all faded away from there.

I will go as far to say that if we keep Viney, Hogan, Lever, Petracca and Oliver together for the bulk of the next decade the drought will be broken one way or another. (But even that is asking a mighty lot!) We might pinch one Bulldogs, Hawks ‘08 style or we may have to go the long haul and wait another 6 years ala tigers, cats ‘07. Who knows? But I have faith in our 20-24 year-old core to put it all together in a grand final one year. It is such early stages, but I think there are signs that they are driven enough. It’s not just about talent, there needs to be something more, and things like Viney’s hit on Hurn last year at Subi, and Clayton Oliver’s give no *s attitude make me think this group has got something that other MFC teams in my time have lacked: a killer instinct.

Just talking about this stuff shows our club has come a long way since 2013. Amazing to think that 4 and a bit seasons ago we looked like being the next Fitzroy. And yes, I understand that this group has achieved jack all in terms of success, but to me it feels like so much heavy lifiting has been done since 2013, we must be due to enjoy the fruits of that sooner, rather than later. I’m most likely just setting myself up for some massive heartbreak over the next few years, but * it, if you can’t believe once in a while, what’s the ******* point?

This list has got me dreaming BIG!

steve0908

Debutant
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes. Maybe this year, huge show next year. There are no dominant sides, and GWS who were looking like a juggernaut have lost a s**t load of players. Sydney are on the wane, Tiggers are a one trick pony that will quickly be worked out. I think our list is in the best shape in the comp bar maybe GWS.
But so much of it comes down to luck and having your best 22 available in September.

Which is?

steve0908

Debutant
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Which consists of:
Jetta the multi latitudinal defender
Oscar the rock of Gibraltar
Hibberd the bard of the backline and pigshit player
Lever the swan of swanlake
Tom McDonald the repeller
Lewis the enforcer
Jones the defiant captain
Vince the tagger extraordinare
Brayshaw the luckless liger
Gawn the gawnicus
Oliver the wrecking ball