Will you be interested in this Year’s grand final?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll watch it purely to see which side the umpires decide to screw over this week!!! The grand final needs another Aker 2004 "oh no" moment by either Selwood or Papley.

It doesn't happen every year where I have little interest in the game due to the teams involved. 2009, 2010 spring to mind. There's also 2011.... but I was technically in Geelongs corner then as a Collingwood loss added extra spice to the McGuire/Malthouse/Buckley saga.

A Sydney Vs Geelong grand final doesn’t interest me at all.

2019 didn’t excite me which should’ve been Richmond and Collingwood. 1999 Carlton played their grand final the week before.
Oh god, it's the BigVic again. He's posted in other threads about how he won't watch the Grand Final this year.

I suspect he's a bit hurt that his beloved Pies didn't ride their luck all the way into the GF. I bet, years from now, he'll post stuff about how 2022 should have been a Pies premiership.

Collingwood lost two of three finals, beating only Fremantle.

As for the GF, I'll watch it. The finals series has done it's job. The two best sides are left.

Last edited:
I'm always interested except for 2020 which barely watched as it was not a season of real length football matches so by the end I simply did not consider it a real finals series without the real length matches.
But it great that did not continue after that.
Last year's grand final was good and this year's grand final I sense will not be a close match. I hope it is but as the season has gone on Cats have won 15 in a row and a lot of matches comfortably so it seems they are now the clear best side of this season. Swans have managed to outlast the others but for me it feels like a grand final for Cats and Swans to have their chance to win another premiership and then step aside as had your fill for last few decades. No longer is either fan set a long suffering lot like they still were in early 2000's before either broke their long drought. Both clubs have now won at least two or more premierships in our time of watching so it feels like, ok, this is your last turn, make the most of it both you two clubs and may the best team win.

Ill just get hammered I think.

I love the big bud so I guess I'll go Sydney, plus it would be pretty funny if the cats missed out again given theyre absolutely *ed given their best 5 players in 2 years will be Henry, Sdk, Atkins, Bruhn and Miers.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Did you forget about Holmes?

Holmes and SDK are better than almost everyone on Hawthorns list.....

Stengle and close would probably be hawthorns best forwards, both are young.

i think we will be fine.

In neutral years, any match up between the two best sides of the year is interesting. The boring years are those where one of the sides is just happy to be there; 2019, 2000, 1999, that kind of thing.

In fairness, I think the best team still won it in 2020. Full length or not, it was the right result.
In fairness, my post was not dissing any team that year. I was dissing the league itself for stupidly not playing full length matches for finals series that it should have so it still felt like a proper finals series.
As a result I never cared and lost interest and season will always be one I will never have interest in seeing any replays again.

Did you forget about Holmes?

Holmes and SDK are better than almost everyone on Hawthorns list.....

Stengle and close would probably be hawthorns best forwards, both are young.

i think we will be fine.
We've always been fine. Between 2012 and 2021, we were never the best side in the comp, possibly not even in the top 4, but still gave it a crack.

We're probably the best side in the comp this year, and are giving it a serious crack.

OP's also forgotten that, in two years, Z Guthrie and Parfitt will be only 25 and Atkins will be 27.

We'll be fine.

We've always been fine. Between 2012 and 2021, we were never the best side in the comp, possibly not even in the top 4, but still gave it a crack.

We're probably the best side in the comp this year, and are giving it a serious crack.
I agree. I think Cats have proved as season has gone on, they been the best team this season.
They are the only team we played all season where never felt we could have control of how the match was played at any real point.
Since then, I've always considered Cats were the team to beat. They are on a 15 match winning streak and think Jeremy Cameron will be the difference. He very very hard to match up on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness, my post was not dissing any team that year. I was dissing the league itself for stupidly not playing full length matches for finals series that it should have so it still felt like a proper finals series.
As a result I never cared and lost interest and season will always be one I will never have interest in seeing any replays again.
Yeah, I agree with you. That said, I suspect if the GF had gone for another 20 minutes, we would have been utterly pulverised.

(agreed)
Losing the 2020 Grand Final didn't really hurt much, if at all. And even 2021 was a bit compromised, with everyone suddenly playing in Perth regardless of ladder position. And many of us were just trying to keep our jobs and look after our families. Covid protocols were all over the place and too many people were showing how irrational they could be under pressure.

Neither felt like a real season. If we'd won the 2020 GF, I would have been pleased with the result and the romance of Ablett playing his last game. But Richmond deserved it and I would not have really valued it the way I value 07, 09 and 11.

Maybe only Richmond supporters can comment on the meaning of 2020. Dusty cemented his spot in AFL folklore, which surely was amazing to watch. Like too many GF's before, Geelong played the role of hapless losers. But we've won 3 of our last 5 GFs ... and only have ourselves to blame if we don't win on Saturday.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with you. That said, I suspect if the GF had gone for another 20 minutes, we would have been utterly pulverised.
The fact that ALL the matches were short by 20 minutes is why I will never really care for it to value in history.
Like 1916 and some other seasons it record books, they still count as completed seasons but in terms of memories to treasure in football history I will never value it or watch any of it again. What is done is done.

It could be interesting. The Swans switch off after Reid went off, and the impotence of their forward line after getting 6 kicks ahead, will likely reemerge against an equally fanatical defence next week. Swans small forwards will carry the weight.

Geelong in 2nd gear will prob win.

(agreed)
Losing the 2020 Grand Final didn't really hurt much. And even 2021 was a bit compromised, with everyone suddenly playing in Perth regardless of ladder position.

It didn't feel like a real season. If we'd won the 2020 GF, I would have been pleased with the result and the romance of Ablett playing his last game. But I would not have really valued it the way I value 07, 09 and 11.

Maybe only Richmond supporters can comment on the meaning of 2020.
Every supporter of every club can comment on the meaning of 2020.
For me it has none.
It counts in record books for sure but in terms of meaning it has no value for me.
What meaning anyone puts to anything is up to them as it should be.

Last edited:
The fact that ALL the matches were short by 20 minutes is why I will never really care for it to value in history.
Like 1916 and some other seasons it record books, they still count as completed seasons but in terms of memories to treasure in football history I will never value it or watch any of it again. What is done is done.
They're all part of the rich tapestry mate.....even the infamous "Bloodbath" 1945 Premiership won by Carlton over South Melbourne played at Princes Park on Carlton's home ground. Not forgetting the equally infamous "Batmobile" 1991 Premiership won by Hawthorn over West Coast at Waverley.

They're all part of the rich tapestry mate.....even the infamous "Bloodbath" 1945 Premiership won by Carlton over South Melbourne played at Princes Park on Carlton's home ground. Not forgetting the equally infamous "Batmobile" 1991 Premiership won by Hawthorn over West Coast at Waverley.
Are we still counting Carlton's 95 flag seeing as they were rorting the cap?

Yeah, they are all part of history. I'm just saying in terms of my watching time it the only season I do not value in my time. It totally in records books as still a football season and always will be, just like 1916 when only 4 clubs in season and nobody missed the finals. It is a rich tapestry of league football and I glad football has never missed a season for wars or pandemics.

Passing interest. It will be a good game, but the outcome I want is pretty unlikely (aliens invade the MCG with 1 minute to go and declare both teams to be a little bit nauseating and unworthy of the premiership, before they install Jeff Farmer as new AFL CEO and declare the new season starts instantly, with all 18 teams instantly transported to the MCG where they all play against each other at once in a chaotic mess of mangled bodies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back