Will you be working on Australia Day?

Remove this Banner Ad

bingo. It's still the white man's fault they abuse alcohol and have so many social issues.
You can't remove individual responsibility, but c'mon; poverty and lack of education would the reason they have so many social issues and what might be the reason so many are in poverty and lack education? The history of Aboriginal people and alcohol is also more complex than just dismissing them as alcoholics.

You can't remove individual responsibility, but c'mon; poverty and lack of education would the reason they have so many social issues and what might be the reason so many are in poverty and lack education? The history of Aboriginal people and alcohol is also more complex than just dismissing them as alcoholics.

none of which has anything to do with Australia Day. First it was "sorry" now its Australia Day next it will be something else. There is always an excuse.

Part of the problem is people thinking doing token bullshit like boycotting Australia will make any difference at all. Most of the people living in genuine poverty couldn't care less. Its the Adam Goodes vs the guy in the remote aboriginal community with endemic alcoholic and sex abuse issues. Pretty big difference.

none of which has anything to do with Australia Day. First it was "sorry" now its Australia Day next it will be something else. There is always an excuse.

Part of the problem is people thinking doing token bullshit like boycotting Australia will make any difference at all. Most of the people living in genuine poverty couldn't care less. Its the Adam Goodes vs the guy in the remote aboriginal community with endemic alcoholic and sex abuse issues. Pretty big difference.
I wrote on the previous page that even if they change the date, some Aboriginal people will still carry resentment around. But that won't always be the case; when the standard of living for the average Aboriginal person is equal to that of the rest of society, the resentment will fade and ultimately become pride. None of us will be alive for it, though. In the meantime, what's the harm in token gestures that show some respect? It's pretty obvious that January 26 is hurtful to Aboriginal people and I doubt most Aussies give a s**t about the date, as long as there's a summer day off. Seems like a fair amount of benefit for next to no cost.

And I think there are plenty of people that appreciated the 'sorry' and still do.

Australia Day is just another excuse for nationalistic bogans to get drunk and to act like dills. Honestly makes it embarrassing to be from here.

Funny thing is modern Australia is more backward than it was before invasion.

Oh for the stone age, who wouldn't want to revert to that? Civilisation at its finest.

Same; unless you're some history fanatic who holds the date of the First Fleet landing close to your heart, I don't understand getting upset at the prospect of moving it.

It's not a particular date that upsets people its the prospect of appeasing the usual bien pensant campaigners that is so irritating.

No doubt the ABC will give extensive coverage to this piffle.

And I think there are plenty of people that appreciated the 'sorry' and still do.

large phone box.

Last edited:
It only became a Public Holiday in 94, due to some uppity monarchists that wanted the date celebrated

http://www.australiaday.org.au/australia-day/history/

From Wiki:

Australia Day[edit]
Australia Day is Australia's national day celebrated on 26 January annually in all states and territories. 26 January was chosen because it is the day of the establishment of the first English settlement at Port Jackson by Captain Arthur Phillip in 1788.[23]

Since 1960, the winner of the Australian of the Year award is announced by the Prime Minister on the eve of Australia Day (25 Jan).

Recorded celebrations date back to 1808 in Australia, and in 1818, Governor Lachlan Macquarie held the first official celebration of Australia Day.[24] It was made a public holiday in New South Wales in 1836, and Victoria adopted the day as a public holiday in 1931. It commenced to be celebrated by all states and territories in 1946, but began to be actually celebrated on 26 January from 1994.

I presume that means that it's been a state/territoy base public holiday since 1946 but moved to a national public holiday in 1994

You seriously posted that bullshit?

They lived longer than whites do now.
That is rubbish there is alot of fantasy surrounding the aboriginal culture prior to colonisation. As hunter gatherers they would have lived short brutal lives life expectancy was approximately 30.

On the other hand closing the gap data suggests life expectancy is increasing much fewer aboriginal youngsters are taking up smoking and booze, diabetes is still a problem but life expectancy is moving to 2.5 times what it was before captain cook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Wiki:

Australia Day[edit]
Australia Day is Australia's national day celebrated on 26 January annually in all states and territories. 26 January was chosen because it is the day of the establishment of the first English settlement at Port Jackson by Captain Arthur Phillip in 1788.[23]

Since 1960, the winner of the Australian of the Year award is announced by the Prime Minister on the eve of Australia Day (25 Jan).

Recorded celebrations date back to 1808 in Australia, and in 1818, Governor Lachlan Macquarie held the first official celebration of Australia Day.[24] It was made a public holiday in New South Wales in 1836, and Victoria adopted the day as a public holiday in 1931. It commenced to be celebrated by all states and territories in 1946, but began to be actually celebrated on 26 January from 1994.

I presume that means that it's been a state/territoy base public holiday since 1946 but moved to a national public holiday in 1994

It only became a nationally recognised Public Holiday in 94, so it's only really become a big deal since then.

I think there is something to be said for keeping Australia Day as is.

Any national day we celebrate has to acknowledge that this country was founded on the violent dispossession of it's original inhabitants.
Australia Day means that acknowledgement is unavoidable and Indigenous Issues and the protests that occur are a visible and important aspect of the day.

Is there another time in the year where these issues are discussed and debated as much as Australia Day and the lead up to it?

If we move the date those protests and media coverage of the issues may still occur, but it would lose the clear historical framework supporting the debate and arguably would more easily be ignored. Knowing this country, as soon as it's moved, inevitable some people would be arguing that it's not appropriate to debate and protest on our national day.

That's not to say that the way it's celebrated now is not problematic, but any day in light of our history is surely going to be problematic regardless.
The country we should want to be is one that can celebrate it's achievements and acknowledge and learn from it's mistakes. Australia Day in part at least, allows that debate to occur.

"I am all for supporting Muslims against blanket hate and stereotyping but this is the first thing I've come across that's just not right."

Two Muslim on a billboard = just not right... apparently

What a bunch of campaigners to complain about that of all things

Two Muslim on a billboard = just not right... apparently

Its socially divisive. A billboard promoting Australia day yet some lefty tool thinks muslim appeasement is the order of the day. Like the Freo shire thinking indigenous activism is the order of the day. Proving yet again the left hate Australian culture and do everything they can to tear it down and divide us.

It's not socially divisive, it's just that knuckle draggers like yourself don't like it

I don't particularly care but what I'm saying is evidently true. The brain surgeon who signed off on the billboard was using Australia day to make a political statement. Blind freddy could predict this would piss people off and cause further social division.

It only became a nationally recognised Public Holiday in 94, so it's only really become a big deal since then.
It was already a public holiday, just did not fall on the date. I remember my dad having an Australia Day long weekend but the actual day being on a Wednesday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back