Votes: 42 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • I'm going to microwave my current membership

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This

I find I only really watch Cats games these days, I'd prefer to go to the VFL or local footy than AFL. The game is by and large s**t these days... yes the season is even, but the standard is absolute toilet.
I find i barely read any articles or watch any shows even just on the game..

My interest is at an all time low

Pretty much it.

I think as I was growing I almost obsessed on the game.. I can remember I would make up sides about who was playing and who should be selected playing what position ..at night I probably dreamed of playing , about taking a speckies and kicking goals. The game now is so far from a dream now its almost beyond recognition. The game has lost its spectacle for me .. sure its close ..close doesn't always mean good.. how many close games do you see that are played to the highest level. Try selecting a side these days...it doesn't seem to matter at all because the game is played with 36 players in a 1/3 of the ground. What do kids dream of doing now.. zone defence and throwing the ball?

Its not about the game now its about the closeness of the contest. Now its like a basketball game in that one really can get away from watching the vast majority of the game to tune in to see who wins at the end.

Once id put up with an abundance of things at the ground because I enjoyed the game ..now it takes less and less for me to think attendance is just not worth the hassle. The games current status is built on the cultural support developed in a different era. Yep maybe Im just getting old but reading on here id say I'm not alone.

This

I find I only really watch Cats games these days, I'd prefer to go to the VFL or local footy than AFL. The game is by and large s**t these days... yes the season is even, but the standard is absolute toilet.

Agree. Footy in general does not excite me one bit anymore outside of finals. Even what are meant to be 'good' games or that wind up close are underwhelming overall.

Yeah let's punish the club for the AFL's mess..

Yeah. it sucks being on the end of AFL's intentions here - but that is not the club's fault.

Go Catters

Yeah. it sucks being on the end of AFL's intentions here - but that is not the club's fault.

Go Catters

But how we respond to it is entirely our fault.

What else can the AFL do?

Take more home games from us?

How can standing up and fighting like hell for ourselves possibly make things any worse than how we are currently treated?

Is responding meekly not the same as accepting mediocrity?

We enable the bullying by allowing it to continue.

We are the handbaggers again.

This

The game is even because the AFL has taken away any advantage clubs/players have and have generally dumbed down the game.
Stronger than your opponent? Penalised.
Tougher? Penalised.
Go in harder and lower? Penalised.
It's bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but the club need to stop being so gutless and put the players rights first, none of this worrying about challenging or not, if you have doubt then take the chance and challenge, grow a pair. We wont win the flag in the next 5 years IMO and there could be multiple list changes over the next year so im interested to see how that goes and what the recruiting team have in store for us.

P.s for the record i dont believe Gaz Jnr will be back next year.

Pretty much it.

I think as I was growing I almost obsessed on the game.. I can remember I would make up sides about who was playing and who should be selected playing what position ..at night I probably dreamed of playing , about taking a speckies and kicking goals. The game now is so far from a dream now its almost beyond recognition. The game has lost its spectacle for me .. sure its close ..close doesn't always mean good.. how many close games do you see that are played to the highest level. Try selecting a side these days...it doesn't seem to matter at all because the game is played with 36 players in a 1/3 of the ground. What do kids dream of doing now.. zone defence and throwing the ball?

Its not about the game now its about the closeness of the contest. Now its like a basketball game in that one really can get away from watching the vast majority of the game to tune in to see who wins at the end.

Once id put up with an abundance of things at the ground because I enjoyed the game ..now it takes less and less for me to think attendance is just not worth the hassle. The games current status is built on the cultural support developed in a different era. Yep maybe Im just getting old but reading on here id say I'm not alone.

I can't like this enough.

I was identical as a kid, and identify closely with every word and sentence here.

You've captured the very essence of my attitude towards footy now, and it's good to know I'm not alone. Only my passion for the club, and memories of days gone by, keep me connected by a thread to the AFL.

Excellent post TC :thumbsu:

Half of you guys whinging about the state of the game really stand testament to my point of a rebuild. Everyone here is drunk with winning, it's truly a disease. Uninterested, bored, AFL stuffing us over. Some just expect the club to improve and hunger for the little satisfaction of a premiership which we 'bought' if we even get that far.

The Doggies board erupted last year, as we did in 2007. Every win was sacred as there was years of hardship. The excitement of building a list from top to bottom. No better feeling.

I'll be renewing my membership for as long as I live. It's more than the team it's the club and being apart of the community. A lot of pride comes with the membership! Don't turn your back fellas!
My views of the state of the game are completely irrelevant to my own views on our club.
The game itself is probably the worst standard I have seen it in the professional era, players can't hit targets, can't handball properly, can't use the opposite side of their body. The constant tinkering with the rules, and how "incidents" are treated by the MRP is a head f*ck.
If I see a good game of footy I can watch anyway play and happily enjoy it... but close scores don't mean a good game, that is a key point many and in particular the media miss this year.. there have been some games that have been decided by under a goal that have been bloody awful games,

I've been a member on and off for 15 years, supporter since the times of the gravel hill and three rows of wooden benches near the fence.

I've been incredibly lucky in that, during my time, Geelong have been the best team in terms of games won - and a pretty reasonable run with premierships towards the end. Always competitive. Usually pretty exciting to watch (GAS - phenomenal! etc)

What I like about the club is that it seems to have a moral compass about it and it's involvement with, and meaning to, the wider Geelong community can't be overstated.

Although Geelong isn't a squeaky clean club (which footy club is?) I think it leads the way culturally.

But, there's something that's not quite right at the moment. Largely it's with the way the game's being officiated and handled in terms of the MRP (lacklustre, inconsistent etc) which isn't the club's fault at all.

However...

It's a bit frustrating that we don't seem to see any real fire in the belly from the administration. Sure, we can't risk challenging the MRPs decision, but where's a carefully worded statement from the club announcing our displeasure at the inconsistencies? Where is the club sticking up for the game or the players?

It's not really there, is it?

For all the bluster, look, yeah, I'll probably design for 2018 - if only to ride first class on the Buzza Hype Train - but I'm becoming increasingly deflated about the state of the game and the club's propensity to rollover for the AFL, other teams at the trade table etc.

All that said, I'd love the team to come out on Saturday and stick it right up the showboating Tigers and the AFL as well.

If the club won't make a statement off the field, I guess we'll have to make one on it.
Just on the fire in the belly from the administration in respect of the MRP.

I wonder if there is an unspoken (or quietly worded) message from AFL House that challenging the MRP is a no-no and will result in some other "negative decision " conferred upon the club. Few clubs seem to want to challenge anymore.

The other possibility is that the club undertook legal consultation and the advice was that challenging was unlikely to suceed. If thats the case then no action is entirely reasonable path. It would be great though if that was communicated to the clubs members and fans

Those who are prepared to walk away from the club should consider what it would be like to have tumbled down the ladder 3 or 4 years ago and to be stuck somewhere around North Melbourne's position with just 5 or 6 wins.

Just on the fire in the belly from the administration in respect of the MRP.

I wonder if there is an unspoken (or quietly worded) message from AFL House that challenging the MRP is a no-no and will result in some other "negative decision " conferred upon the club. Few clubs seem to want to challenge anymore.

The other possibility is that the club undertook legal consultation and the advice was that challenging was unlikely to suceed. If thats the case then no action is entirely reasonable path. It would be great though if that was communicated to the clubs members and fans

I said yesterday that we have to beg to be allowed to play some of our home games at home. The AFL know that issue alone can be used as a threat to keep us in check.

This

I find I only really watch Cats games these days

Same. I used to watch our game, then maybe 1-2 more each weekend. Now, I'm lucky if I watch maybe a second half of another game of footy.

I will always be a Geelong member (unless we were a basket case and had to merge) and the Melbourne membership is perfect for me right now. I would consider down sizing to a 3-game one tho, or maybe buying 2 x 3 game ones, if I can't get to 11 games a year anymore.

Oh goody, our very own microwave thread.

When I was selling my house last month I was chatting to the agent about things he'd seen etc.
He said relationship break ups are the worst. Some guys will go into the house and destroy it. They can be so bad that I have to get someone in to sketch the house for pictures I put on the Internet or no one will even turn up at open days if I use photos.

I said "why would anyone even do that"?
'Who knows. The world is full of dickheads'.

In answer to the op. Don't bite off your nose to spite your face would be my suggestion.

Ever seen the end of Star Trek2 Wrath of Khan? I think some just feel that if I'm losing and have lost be damed if I will let you win.

A microwave thread? Not sure I agree with that.. its no so much will you bail and nuke a membership one has signed up paid for..rather will you sign up again. In some respects its no so much about the house and trashing it..but the divorce. And reading here its not purely about the club ..which was the op , as the game also plays a part. What do you do once the love is gone?

The last bit really is key, though.

Just a statement along the lines of "Yeah, we feel it was a bit overzealous, but we've sought legal advice and....."

Agree. Footy in general does not excite me one bit anymore outside of finals. Even what are meant to be 'good' games or that wind up close are underwhelming overall.

I do yearn for the good ol days of the mid 1990s- best era of football imo. Even if we didn't win a flag.*

*I realise this is all relative. My dad stopped going to the footy in the 90s- said he hated the way the game had gone back then!

Back