Williamstown vs Port Melbourne (Saturday 5th May North Port Oval at 1:10 PM) (Televised)

Remove this Banner Ad

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Gentlemen, it's time for the biggest match of the VFL H&A season as Williamstown takes on its traditional rivals Port Melbourne at North Port Oval in what looks to be an interesting match as Port Melbourne would be looking to extend their winning streak while Williamstown would be looking to gain some form of revenge following last years Grand Final.
Last season, Williamstown lost all three matches against Port Melbourne including a hard fought battle in round 20 where the end of the match was cut off for the usual ABC dredge following the football. Here's hoping that it doesn't come to that.

Port Melbournes greatest strength is its coach Gary Ayres who has turned a team of part-timers into one that is as strong and as disciplined as any AFL team. That isn't to say that the team is just a team of battlers held together with a strong gameplan, they have some of the most talented state leaguers in the country, amongst them being the two time Liston Trophy winner Shane Valenti. They also have the VFLs leading goalkicker in Dean Galea who was second only to Paddy Rose on the goalkicking tables last year.

Williamstown will be relying on a few players this game; They need Tom Campbell to continue his strong form in the VFL by keeping even or defeating Wade Skipper while feeding the ball down to Jolley and Goodes who will have their work cut out for them against Baird and Valenti.
They would also be hesitant to play Mulligan against Dean Galea who dominated the much larger Seagull in the VFL Grand Final, kicking 6 goals and contributing a few assists for Paddy Rose who is thankfully no longer there. It would have instead been preferable if Austin or Markovic had played against him however Witkowski would instead take him first as he has been in good form over the season so far.

With no Hill, Matthew Panos and Jack Redpath will be the main targets up forward although this may be a harsh first experience for Redpath who will not have played against defenders such as Pleming or Sandilands. This may be further compounded by the recent heavy rain in Melbourne and the forecast showers over the next two days. This will suit the heavy bodied Hooper, Cravino and Dickson who would probably find these conditions ideal.

My preferred bench would be Jong, Cravino, Greenwood, Roberts and Carr.
The wet weather would limit Mulligans mobility and Ayres would look to playing Galea against him in hopes of a repeat of last year while Giles may miss out because two rucks is one too many in wetter weather. Conway is an outside chance to be named because of strong form in the AFL Dvelopment league with four goals against the Blues and six against the Zebras.

I am not particularily confident about this match. Port are in dominant form at the moment and may prove a little too much for the Seagulls to overcome especially with some of the outs this week.

Williamstown

B
Lockwood Witkowski Wall

HB
Tutt Talia McNamara

C
Bugeja* C. Smith Pearce

HF
Dickson Panos Moles

F
Hooper Redpath Skinner

R
Campbell Goodes Jolley

Int
Giles Jong McHarg

Carr Mulligan Conway

Greenwood Roberts Cravino

And on another note, welcome back Brodie Moles to VFL seniors football. He has been gone for quite some time with injury and it's great to see him running about. Likewise to Johannisen who looks to have escaped a serious knee injury and won't have to have an operation upon it.

Nice write up.

I can't go and I can't watch it live but will set the PVR. I look forward to seeing how we go, last year at the same venue in similar conditions they flogged us. The conditions and home ground advantage suit Port.

Skinner might once again do some ruck work and I hope he does, might free him up a bit. Hill is a massive loss for them and It's a shame for him as he must be pushing for an AFL call up.

It is, but he's not even selected as an emergency, is it even possible to name him or at the very least dont we incur a fine?

Not sure, I tweeted this from the BigFootyDogs account. See what comes from it.

I think the thing is, if you were playing the percentages with both Cordy and Hill’s development, you would be hesitant to play them against the Pies at this stage. The Dogs will be trying to put out fires all over the ground tonight so there wouldn’t be the level of support they could be afforded against say the Gold Coast. I’d say that there’s a reasonable chance that they will both be selected against Gold Coast and both Jones and Roughead will be rested. Neither Hill nor Cordy are being risked with injury (new or aggravating) ahead of the GC game and that decision may have been made last weekend. Then again, I could be miles out.

And now for some input from a man that knows far more about Port Melbourne and probably Williamstown also, CrowdedHouse

That it's the ABC TV match of the round (live from 1pm).

Also, Port Melbourne will be aiming for it's 28th win in a row.

Plus here's a scary state for you. Port's three home games this year have been against Werribee (Preliminary Finalist last year), Northern Blues (Preliminary Finalist last year) and North Ballarat (Semi-Finalist last year)... the average winning margin... 89 points!!!!

That last one is exactly why I'm not confident about this game, they've been in pretty amazing form at the moment.

I reckon we are doing a "Geelong" resting a few players and bringing in players with the same abilities so we can bring them back in later in the season and they will be more rested for the finals.

And now for some input from a man that knows far more about Port Melbourne and probably Williamstown also, CrowdedHouse

Here's another fact for you.

Port Melbourne captain, John Baird, is leading the VFL Coaches' best player award after 6 rounds. That includes at least 4 best on grounds.

This guy will be turning 32 this year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their a great side, and I'm very surprised Ayres didn't get a job at one of the AFL clubs this year. It will be a good test for our Willi side this weekend! :thumbsu:

Terrible conditions, don't they look after vfl grounds any more? Disgrace north port, gonna be hard to see how the bulldogs players go today, hope we get no injuries, started bad gonna get flogged I think

Port are getting looked after by the umpires too. 1 free kick to about 6. Carr should have got a holding the ball 20m out directly in front, but nothing.

And a 50m for them as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back