VFL Williamstown vs Richmond, Sunday June 20, 2.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit chippy mate?
Passive aggressive?

I just don't see where he is playing that great - people keep blowing wind up this guys arse & i just dont see it, the bar for him is far lower than anyone else.

I thought Naish's first half was miles better. For all the "Naish wasted the ball" stuff i read, he hit a target all but once in the first half - he had one poor I50 he missed kicked, but other than that he seemed to kick well & gave a beautifully waited hand ball that was very similar to the one he did in the seniors. His creative handballing is something that really interest me as super important to our system & why Edwards has been so important to us, if Naish has the same skillset then that could be very important for us. People forget Edwards was just a slight lad who was a bit the same at 22 - I still think Naish can be a important player for us - a possible "Edwards" replacement. I assume his snd half was ordinary tho based on the talk. Rioli gave away 2 silly free kicks from reckless tackles also, although he did have a couple of nice handballs in the 2nd - one from nice ruck work from Ryan & another from a handball received - both led to scoring chances - they were not flashy, but just the right decision.

Just watching the 3rd now... 12:57 mark, Rioli bloody horrible defensive work that gives up a goal directly from a rucking duel in their fwd 50. His lack of awareness is why he can't be moved up the ground like Castagna does at times, was caught in the wrong spot & ball watching. Just tapped to his direct opponent & Dan is totally in the wrong spot and ball watching.

I thought Parkers half was ok - thought his disposal was a little iffy & I don't really think he is a solution to our forward issues, last thing we need is someone who doesn't take chances etc - wouldn't think he would be in frame for a game based on the first half, but the tackling looks good.

Garthwaite is playing pretty well up forward, but he looks like a VFL player. His conditioning looks ordinary. Looks gassed all the time and walks like a 35 year old. His st shot is surprisingly good and while still being a pretty ordinary technique.

Ralph-Smith has been abit disappointing - lacked a bit of discipline.

Stack has been ok - but not blowing it away by any stretch. MRJ been pretty unsighted except for a few flashes.

Cumberland - very wasteful.

Overall i thought we looked really sloppy. Whoever is in charge of the teams approach to Inside 50's needs to be given a chat - way too much dumping the ball in high on peoples heads & worrying it is happening in both the seniors and the reserves. - im getting flashbacks to the Richo era

At half time, the best for me are Pickett, RCD & Naish. RCD really should be getting a game IMO, the kid can play and provide something we really need atm

Last edited:
Absolutely spot on his disposal especially first half was atrocious what the hell do we see in him so outside and all that that implies.
On another site people almost to a man were scathing of him. Some even suggested we only keep him so we can f/s his brother which is nonsense of course.

Still cannot understand why RCD is not getting games either. while he did have a few quite patches i though he was very good.To my thinking he is at a stage where he needs to develop in the one's.

People also need to remember Parker has been playing WAFL so its not as if he has had a prolonged break. How much more did he offer than Rioli and how much better than Castagna as well.
Would not hesitate to play Parker and Stack in place of those two.

Tiger supporters always eat up our players, just look at our game day threads, if we start poorly, its dud, slow, hack, etc etc, then when we win its like they never posted those things, would not surprised me other sites do the same thing lol.

Agree Naish disposal was poor. His main issue to me, is that he tries all the bloody time to kick the spectacular pass and it more often then not shits the bed. It's a huge concern as he cant seem to get it through his head, that the safe reliable option is the better option at his level. If the did that he would be playing more seniors because his positives of the game was his defensive positioning, he got 10 marks in the back 50 and his link up run was fantastic. He has potential but I fear he does not have the footy brain to realise he is not playing juniors and fancy s**t at his level wont cut it.

Miller had a defenders game today, was solid and reliable

Pickett wanted to play with his mate and it was good to see him get a run

The potential in Ryan is something to be excited about. He has a natural agility and the ability even as his size to get the ground ball. He has the natural aggression that all good players need that you cant train into a player, he just has it. He needs to build into his frame and work out how to use it. His tank needs a lot of work too but he rucked all day so it shows he can work through a game under duress. Really positive signs.

Considering Parker has only had 2 training sessions so our game plan and ball movement is completely foreign to him, I was impressed. His first option was to move the ball forward, even if into space. He showed me that instinctively he should slot into our game plan pretty easily with a little more training. He is a very decent size, good mark and has a bit of toe about him. I liked what I saw and he gives us some mature depth.

Stacks is just working into his fitness. Did some nice things, some shockers and his kicking is like a shot gun, spray and pray BUT he is working his ass off. Credit to the kid

Would be cool to bring in Matty, or Garth, to the senior side to take out Selwood one day.
"I'd like to see that."
What a filthy grub of a player.
Two eye gouging incidents and stomping a player on the ground.
What a dog.

Last edited:
So finished watching it - my breakdown for whoever cares

Naish - For all the people bagging out Nasih, was probably best on ground for me. over 20 kicks & didn't really see any that were howlers other than that 1 I50 i mentioned earlier. They all hit their target - his kick to Ralpsmith was a pearler, but RS dropped it which was a real shame as it have cut the play open totally. 2 beautiful goals as well from 50 out. Got over 10 marks also including some beautiful intercept marks down back and also up forward. Some great weighted, creative handballs as well....Really don't know what more people expect him to do than what he did off the wing today - nearly 30 touches, over 10 marks, 2 goals - great game

Pickett looked great and played like the OG leader. He drifted out as the game went on, but looked a class above.

RCD did exactly what we expect him to do, really happy to see his game unfold the way it did and not feel sorry for himself being dropped. Definitely got a player there.

Mansell's game got better as the day went on & by the end of it really put his name back in frame to get a call up if a position comes available.

Parker - he is a real energy guy and looks to be the type of players his teammates will enjoy playing with - but he does lack effectiveness for mine. 10 tackles, but how many of them created a turnover & how many times did he give a free kick away with a lack of discipline with that tackling? had 8 or so I50's, but how many resulted in goals? Had a few shots on goal, but how many of them went through the big sticks. Does not look likely to get a call up straight to seniors for me, but i did like his energ

Stack showed those vice like hands which was great to see as i thought last year they disappeared on him. He still showed he lacked discipline at times, his kicking was sometimes ordinary, especially his kicks across the backline - decision making was average at best, Beautiful hands though, and took a couple of great marks. I'd be concerned how many free's he would give away in the D50 based on how our seniors games get called by the umps.

Cumberland - bloody dirty day. Look like Kayne Pettifer, lil brother. Had 4 shots on goal and none of them got close. Not much good to say on that game tbh

Samson - raw. His game was the good, the bad and the ugly. Another one who discipline wise waste energy, getting snotty at the umpiring etc. Found himself in some good spots to mark, but couldn't hold them. But for a young tall he showed something - but he is a raw talent

Daniel Rioli - sorry, but he played like a bloke who has no confidence. I would be floored if he gets another run in the seniors this week. Outside of a few nice handballs i thought his game was bloody ordinary, found himself in the wrong spots, fumbled, lost some key 1 on 1s. I am stunned that anyone thought he did ok today - for a bloke who has lived senior AFL elite footy for 5 years, he did not ever look a class above the VFL

MRJ - was quiet for big parts, but my goodness did his last quarter excite me. His closing speed is elite, his tackling is fierce. His tackles dont just lock the ball down - they create turnovers as he hits the player with such speed the balls spills out. We need to see a 4 quarter game from him, but i would be very inclined to give this kid a run in the seniors sooner than later I would be very interested to see how speed and tackling fits into a team with a high number of elite players in it.... a fwd line of CCJ, Jack, Lynch, Bolton, Dusty, MRJ, Aarts - i am getting serious wood just thinking of that.

Garthwaite - had good moments but his conditioning looks miles off. I think this is his level, seems a good teammate and would love him to stay with the VFL team irrelevant of if he keeps his spot on the list.

Eggs - got better as the game went on, but the same as what we already knew. What he does do well, he has the potential to be elite at, But his flaws are still there & at senior AFL level they will get found out in big games & targeted for sure.

Martyn & Dow - both works in progress. Not ready for senior footy.

Ralph-smith - had a pretty dirty day tbh. Would be surprised if we seem him back in the seniors this year - was porobably the worst game i have seen from him, dropped a lot of marks, mis-kicked - pretty poor day really.

Ross was Ross. Looked better at VFL level down back, but thats because he can use his bigger body more. His kicking was still pretty ordinary tbh.

Miller & Biggy. - not close to senior footy IMO. Our backline in general was pretty ordinary i thought & our depth back there is a massive concern. We need to definitely target KP backman this year in the draft & maybe even consider an OG short-term, who might want to win a flag and play for less. Don't watch enough Nth to say this with any confidence, but someone like Tarrant might be worth getting for a 1 year contract if Astbury continues to show the signs of decline. Our backline in both seniors and VFL are very porous.

I would like to see RCD & Pickett come in & 1 of Naish or Mansell get the sub spot, probably Naish. I think he is a player & really cant see how he copped so much hate over his disposal today - i watched him really closely and all his kicks hit targets. A few players dropped marks from his kicks which ended up being turnovers but thats hardly his fault. Really didn't find the umpiring to be as bad as others said either, was typical lower level umpiring. I think our discipline was pretty ordinary, as were our I50's & the backline too. The same issues our seniors are having seemed to be an issue at VFL level, which suggest we might have a systematic issue in those areas as a club. Our KP backline depth is scarily bad tho, we need to address it with a #1 priority this off-season

Last edited:
Agree Naish disposal was poor. His main issue to me, is that he tries all the bloody time to kick the spectacular pass and it more often then not shits the bed. It's a huge concern as he cant seem to get it through his head, that the safe reliable option is the better option at his level. If the did that he would be playing more seniors because his positives of the game was his defensive positioning, he got 10 marks in the back 50 and his link up run was fantastic. He has potential but I fear he does not have the footy brain to realise he is not playing juniors and fancy sh*t at his level wont cut it.

I honestly don't see how anyone can write this - he had over 20 kicks & i really didn't notice any of them outside of the I50 in the 2nd (from memory) being a howler. What other kicks were terrible?

Would be cool to bring in Matty, or Garth, to the senior side to take out Selwood one day.
"I'd like to see that."
What a filthy grub of a player.
Two eye gouging incidents and stomping a player on the ground.
What a dog.
Yeah and no suspension lol Tobby also punches in the guts off the ball with no problems. Hate to see our players doing those things. Selwood punched Bont in the head whilst on the ground with no problems. Overall I'm convinced Geelong are the new Collingwood Flavours of the AFL.

I honestly don't see how anyone can write this - he had over 20 kicks & i really didn't notice any of them outside of the I50 in the 2nd (from memory) being a howler. What other kicks were terrible?
Yeah me neither was MOM for me. People raving about RCD efforts which were ok this kid done three times as much.

Missed the game, where did jack ross play? (Saw he was named HB, thinking oerhaps with his lack of pace it might be HB or bust for him. Maybe a Vlas style mid sized HB).

Aldo, how did Stack go? Has had enough time to get match fit now, so hoping he played well and can push for a senior spot.
Played half back all game and was pretty good. Like Vlas as you mention, he is not one of your rebounding defenders but was strong over the ball, composed and used it well. Along with Mansell, Stack and Naish we were pretty good across the half back line. We were pretty undersized and Willy are a very physically strong unit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he was trying his butt off
he'd need to calm a tad to show his best, but 1st game in a new side , mid season
to my eye , that was a good performance , looks above VFL
the willingness to tackle is a great sign
Dimma will love this guy, 110% attack on the ball/contest.
Did he give his opponent a peck on the cheek after a bruising tackle in the 4Q 😂 ?
The commentators were discussing why the opposition come up smiling after a tackle

Just watch the game. Most of his kicks never hit a target just landed in space but you continue with your fantasy lol

Naish may have turned it over once of twice, he can bite off a bit more than he can chew at times, but when you get 20 kicks that happens. It is like some posters are waiting for such moments as affirmation of their opinion. His kicking overall is very good. Problem is he is too slow for his position at AFL level. Would be a player otherwise as he reads the play really well.

Parker was good, a bit erratic but an upgrade on other half forwards in some respects because of his aerial ability. He also takes the game on. Not a great kick which was the knock on him at Saints, but can live with that.

MRJ has trimmed down a lot and looks not far off. One of those players that would benefit from having better players around him which all small forwards need, and a bit more space which AFL has. He is very quick and it will click soon enough. Willy are tough opposition.

Miller has a great vertical leap which helps with his spoiling. Sometimes you need a player that can take out high balls. Would release Balta a bit if he ever gets a run. Was clean off the deck under pressure as well.

Reckon Stack needs another week against easier opposition so he can get his run and carry going. That was his first week at half back for a year, and it showed at times. Still a bit short of a gallop. But looks pretty good.

Disappointed with our VFL players, they were pretty average all game.

Tiger supporters always eat up our players, just look at our game day threads, if we start poorly, its dud, slow, hack, etc etc, then when we win its like they never posted those things, would not surprised me other sites do the same thing lol.

Agree Naish disposal was poor. His main issue to me, is that he tries all the bloody time to kick the spectacular pass and it more often then not shits the bed. It's a huge concern as he cant seem to get it through his head, that the safe reliable option is the better option at his level. If the did that he would be playing more seniors because his positives of the game was his defensive positioning, he got 10 marks in the back 50 and his link up run was fantastic. He has potential but I fear he does not have the footy brain to realise he is not playing juniors and fancy sh*t at his level wont cut it.

Miller had a defenders game today, was solid and reliable

Pickett wanted to play with his mate and it was good to see him get a run

The potential in Ryan is something to be excited about. He has a natural agility and the ability even as his size to get the ground ball. He has the natural aggression that all good players need that you cant train into a player, he just has it. He needs to build into his frame and work out how to use it. His tank needs a lot of work too but he rucked all day so it shows he can work through a game under duress. Really positive signs.

Considering Parker has only had 2 training sessions so our game plan and ball movement is completely foreign to him, I was impressed. His first option was to move the ball forward, even if into space. He showed me that instinctively he should slot into our game plan pretty easily with a little more training. He is a very decent size, good mark and has a bit of toe about him. I liked what I saw and he gives us some mature depth.

Stacks is just working into his fitness. Did some nice things, some shockers and his kicking is like a shot gun, spray and pray BUT he is working his ass off. Credit to the kid
Thought Naishy was terrible first half
But excellent second half
More second half less first half
Please

Thought Stack and Mansell were both really good down back, particularly in the second half.

I think we should settle Stack down back from now on. He provides great drive and shuts his man down.
Mansell was great in the 2nd half.

Serious??? Must have been watching a different game.
Yep gave away a few frees but his ruckwork was very good imo. If he had the tank to play there all day, we would have won comfortably.
Needs to just hold his marks too, but that’ll come when his strength builds.
I was impressed with him myself
His tap work was brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back