News Willie Rioli - 2 yr ban. Returns 20/8/21 (166 days)

How long for Willie and when will he know?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Balls In

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Gil is a Vic centric worm and asada is a joke. Two competing incompetencies with a blokes career in the middle over something that should never have been in a "perfornance enhancing" arena. Thats the problem. They all know they will look stupid if they end Willy.. but but but Olympics etc

Dark Sharks

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 21, 2011
Maynard was blocked
AFL Club
West Coast
I take it as the AFL are trying to negotiate a ban that won't be appealed, now we're already two years in which means that ASADA want at least 4.
At least 4?

That is the maximum it can be. For the really bad cheats who pump PED into their bodies and preplan to cheat and avoid tests like taking blood transfusions pre testing to dupe the efforts of WADA.

So if the really professional, highly funded, high tech cheats can only get max 4 years why would / could ASADA / WADA expect the maximum for a pot smoker who messed around at a piss test sitting in front of a testing officer? No systematic PED cheating, no premeditated avoidance and only pot.
As what's been said from the start, tampering is considered as bad as testing positive. I'd say it's fairly clear that ASADA isn't going to allow a 2 year ban.
I think 3 years is entirely possible and what I think it will be.
Not the point.

What Willie did was not as bad as what Armstrong did in cycling over a decade.

Agree or disagree?

The maximum penalty is for the professional cheats is the point. The ones who pre plan to cheat, spend time, $$$ and efforts involving other athletes, doctors and support staff cheating and hiding from WADA.

Organised crime versus a single person doing a one off stupid thing.

Why have a sliding scale of 0 to four years?
It is the point whether you agree or not.
So you are saying a systematic and preplanned tampering of a test would get the same penalty as someone who smoked pot and spat in a jar without thinking?

They are in essence the exact same crime and should get the same penalty.

And you are right, I don't agree. Because one situation is massively different to the other. One was preplanned and intentional. The other was not.

The exact same legal principle as premeditated murder vs man slaughter.
No, I'm saying ASADA/WADA see tampering of a test as seriously as testing positive to a banned substance.
Like the chap who just had his penalty reduced to 20 months then?

He tested positive, didn't get 4 years or 3. Came up with a slightly plausible reason and therefore didn't cop the maximum penalty.

As I keep saying the MAXIMUM penalty is for the dead set undeniable drug cheats like Armstrong. Not a pot smoker who did something silly and spat in a jar.
I'm not saying he is going to get the max penalty, I said they would be pushing for it, it'll be negotiated down to 3 years.

source-4.gif

Whoah watch out gaiz, we got ourselves some fireworks over here 🙌

Mods! Mods! Better get in here quick.

Miguel Sanchez

Say hello!
Aug 10, 2006
Shandong Gold Stadium
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royal Pines Eagles
The club was told that the penalty would be announced this past week, no one has heard anything, my source has no idea now. I have a funny feeling the Collingwood news with the report on racism and subsequent standing down of their president has forced this to be pushed back a few weeks, with the worry that a likely career ending penalty against a black player may be construed as racist, I'm legit starting to worry this sh*t will be announced within a week of the mens season start, which will distract us from much needed wins to start the season. Well done AFL!
The club was supposed to be told of the decision a couple weeks ago. I think the AFL are worried with the pies racism report coming out recently that announcing a career-ending penalty to a black player might cause them a decent amount of blowback.
Is there some reason why you feel the need to repeat the same point?

While ignoring others’ inconvenient points like “why did Simpson say the club had no idea when the decision was coming during the week they supposedly were told the decision was coming”?

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1
The club was supposed to be told of the decision a couple weeks ago. I think the AFL are worried with the pies racism report coming out recently that announcing a career-ending penalty to a black player might cause them a decent amount of blowback.
If the AFL are sitting on anything & keeping it from Willie they deserve a bollocking.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Renault F1

Australian sport’s anti-doping agency is distancing itself from the delay in a verdict in the drugs case of AFL player Willie Rioli.

Sport Integrity Australia, formerly known as ASADA, says it has no powers to announce the outcome of Rioli’s case or sanction the West Coast player.

Rioli has been provisionally suspended by the AFL for the past 17 months.

The 25-year-old is facing a ban of up to four years for alleged urine substitution during a routine anti-doping test performed by ASADA in 2019.

Rioli faced the AFL’s Anti-Doping Tribunal in December last year but is still awaiting a verdict.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

garlic munchers

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2006
Downbeat Optimist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals
I fully appreciate it won't be accounted for, but the penalty should be reduced to take into account the angst this undue delay in administering justice will have caused Willie and his family.

Aspects like this are factored into criminal court sentencing all the time.

If natural justice is a factor then 2 years should be the decision given a short, sharp sentencing process would at least have allowed the murderer, rapist, granny basher, freo supporter, pedophile, Gatorade conspiracist to move on.

matt_bas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, East Perth
Find it interesting that in Willies latest Insta story, he’s working out in an actual gym facility, rather then the derelict home made one or running up and down grand stands. Maybe he knows his verdict? Let’s hope it’s a positive outcome and we get him back for season 2021
Or it could be an old video

Dark Sharks

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 21, 2011
Maynard was blocked
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd have thought the club would have gotten him off Twitter, Instagram or whatever stupid platform he's constantly spouting things on by now.

"I'm coming for yous..."

"This will only make me stronger.."

"I didn't do those things they said I did.."

"I'm not perfect, everyone makes mistakes.."

"Maynard was blocked.."

"Back bigger and better, this is only a hurdle.."

Is the running commentary really necessary? Surely if it's going to do anything, it'd be putting his foot in it or making things worse.

He can update his family and friends privately, but this constant platform he's been given to spout whatever he wants to his "fans", aka the random general public and journalists to twist into a nothing story, is a bad idea. .

Would've giving Benny and Kerr access to a Twitter/Insta account for commentary during all their issues at the club over the years been a good idea?

Matera92

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Bulls, East Freo, Las Vegas Bears
I'd have thought the club would have gotten him off Twitter, Instagram or whatever stupid platform he's constantly spouting things on by now.

"I'm coming for yous..."

"This will only make me stronger.."

"I didn't do those things they said I did.."

"I'm not perfect, everyone makes mistakes.."

"Maynard was blocked.."

"Back bigger and better, this is only a hurdle.."

Is the running commentary really necessary? Surely if it's going to do anything, it'd be putting his foot in it or making things worse.

He can update his family and friends privately, but this constant platform he's been given to spout whatever he wants to his "fans", aka the random general public and journalists to twist into a nothing story, is a bad idea. .

Would've giving Benny and Kerr access to a Twitter/Insta account for commentary during all their issues at the club over the years been a good idea?
Maybe it's a coping mechanism for him.

Should have no bearing on any outcome if the organisation has a shred of professionalism about it.

mick06

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United; San D uh LA Chargers
Find it interesting that in Willies latest Insta story, he’s working out in an actual gym facility, rather then the derelict home made one or running up and down grand stands. Maybe he knows his verdict? Let’s hope it’s a positive outcome and we get him back for season 2021
Man he is looking pretty fit in it too. If it is recent then he has actually really looked after himself
What a goddamn waste!! He was about to explode

Remove this Banner Ad