News Willie Rioli - 2 yr ban. Returns 20/8/21 (166 days)

How long for Willie and when will he know?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

kane249

Death by Snu Snu
Oct 27, 2006
Behind enemy Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sth Freo, Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
Ainsworth cops here waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than Swift ever did.

Live at games im not sure if Ainsworth cops it like Swift did though.
Meme's and Bigfooty have evolved a bit since the time of Swift

Ultimately though Swift was doomed once Voss said he was the best 16 year old player he'd ever seen.

It was a massive expectation to live up to.

Mattman93

high ceiling
Jun 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
All these highlights show him getting a lot of the ball but he is very quick to dispose if it, often resulting in a turnover. That's fine for a first year player but maybe he didn't get better.
Those highlights are not that flattering but i guess at the time a first year player being able to accumulate the ball was exciting stuff.
I don't get this at all; I think those highlights are flattering (the WAFL ones, that is). Admittedly his kicking was average, although the ball still travelled with decent velocity and the action was smooth enough at pace (ie, still not nearly as bad as Brayden).

Importantly though, my point isn't about accumulation either, nor is it about him not improving his disposal. It's about some basic features of his athletic profile and play style getting much, much worse. There he looks like a natural at hunting and winning the ball; he's strong over it, stays on his feet, shrugs tackles; good burst of speed and breaks away from opponents on multiple occasions. Also, contra the knocks on disposal, he's creative by hand and is always trying to release teammates into space (a few of them didn't quite come off in that video, but I think the options were the right ones).

Watch vision of him playing a couple of seasons later and it quite literally looks like a different player. Slow, weak, a much worse kick. Really just worse in every way. I don't know what happened, but I think it has to have been something.

Last edited:

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't get this at all; I think those highlights are flattering. Admittedly his kicking was average, although the ball still travelled with decent velocity and the action was smooth enough at pace (ie, still not nearly as bad as Brayden).

Importantly though, my point isn't about accumulation either, nor is it about him not improving his disposal. It's about some basic features of his athletic profile and play style getting much, much worse. There he looks like a natural at hunting and winning the ball; he's strong over it, stays on his feet, shrugs tackles; good burst of speed and breaks away from opponents on multiple occasions. Also, contra the knocks on disposal, he's creative by hand and is always trying to release teammates into space (a few of them didn't quite come off in that video, but I think the options were the right ones).

Watch vision of him playing a couple of seasons later and it quite literally looks like a different player. Slow, weak, a much worse kick. Really just worse in every way. I don't know what happened, but I think it has to have been something.
The haircut.... can't even remember what they were called. No doubt got given heaps of sh*t during the game

Ps his 3 vote game was because of me. FB friends and I told him I had 50 on him winning RS. He gave it one last ditch effort. Good bloke 👍

Matera92

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Bulls, East Freo, Las Vegas Bears
I don't get this at all; I think those highlights are flattering (the WAFL ones, that is). Admittedly his kicking was average, although the ball still travelled with decent velocity and the action was smooth enough at pace (ie, still not nearly as bad as Brayden).

Confidence.

His would have been in the toilet by the end, probably felt like he could do nothing right.

Dark Sharks

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 21, 2011
Maynard was blocked
AFL Club
West Coast
But the way you and many others on here jeer Ainsworth and turn him into a meme is completely appropriate? Spare me.
Treatment of Swift or Ainsworth?

Ah, beaten.
Ainsworth cops here waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than Swift ever did.

Live at games im not sure if Ainsworth cops it like Swift did though.
******* bollocks.

I dont think Ainsworth is AFL standard, is a detriment to the team when he DOES play and is fortunate to still be on an AFL list.

His ball drop and foot skills sh*t me beyond belief, as does his intensity in the contest. Definitely not my favourite eagle. And yes, Swift was 10x the player.

But I like to think my criticism of Ainsworth is professional. I don't wish an injury on him. I don't want him to play bad. I don't make personal jokes about his mum.

I'd NEVER go to a bloody game and jeer him. I acknowledge his professionalism by getting cut like a diamond. He's a West Coast player FFS.

What else do you want? Am I supposed.to fawn over every single player the club draft's, despite how bad they are?

Swifts heckling was nothing like Ainsworth.

Posting a pic of Brayden's ball drop, which is a board joke, not just mine, is hardly the same as going to watch him play for the Beagles and jeer his every touch.

Last edited:

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
******* bollocks.

I dont think Ainsworth is AFL standard, is a detriment to the team when he DOES play and is fortunate to still be on an AFL list.

His ball drop and foot skills sh*t me beyond belief, as does his intensity in the contest. Definitely not my favourite eagle. And yes, Swift was 10x the player.

But I like to think my criticism of Ainsworth is professional. I don't wish an injury on him. I don't want him to play bad. I don't make personal jokes about his mum.

I'd NEVER go to a bloody game and jeer him. I acknowledge his professionalism by getting cut like a diamond. He's a West Coast player FFS.

What else do you want? Am I supposed.to fawn over every single player the club draft's, despite how bad they are?

Swifts heckling was nothing like Ainsworth.

Posting a pic of Brayden's ball drop, which is a board joke, not just mine, is hardly the same as going to watch him play for the Beagles and jeer his every touch.
Admit it mate... you have a problem with people with munted pinkies.

It says more about you than it does them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keys

Looking for a cloud to yell at
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Bengals
Steve Malaxos totaled 532 disposals in the 1987 season on his way to winning the first Club Champion award.

30 years later, Elliot Yeo totaled 532 disposals in the 2017 season on his way to winning the John Worsfold Medal.
In 2019 Willie Rioli was provisionally suspended for tampering with a urine sample

30 years later in 2049 he was still waiting for the AFL tribunal to deliver its verdict

FKASC

Under Notice
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Let’s hope for a swift resolution to the Willie Rioli debacle. It ainsworth wasting any more of his time

Remove this Banner Ad