Rumour Willie Rioli allegedly caught tampering with a drug testing sample

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly.

He likely made a terrible mistake. Will cop his whack.

It's not like he set out to implement a systemic injection regime like "certain" others.
The Essendon players certainly didn't set out to do anything. The players were the main victims in that saga. If you can't see that you really are too biased for your own good. It would be like blaming the Carlton players for the club rorting the salary cap.

The Essendon players certainly didn't set out to do anything. The players were the main victims in that saga. If you can't see that you really are too biased for your own good. It would be like blaming the Carlton players for the club rorting the salary cap.

How on earth did you think I was talking about the players? I said implement. They didn't implement anything.

As already mentioned by others the same sample is poured into 2 different containers, Sample A and Sample B. The reason being if Sample A comes back positive, they will have Sample B as a backup to test if need be.

Which is inconsequential to what he is being held account to. Whether that comes back positive or negative, it won’t matter as he’s still being assessed on tampering with it. Not going to change the penalty he will receive.
It would matter if it came back positive to performance enhancing drugs.

It would matter if it came back positive to performance enhancing drugs.
Not on the charge of tampering which is the issue at hand.

If the sample came back positive for anything, then thats an additional charge he will have to face.

The players lied on their testing forms by neglecting to mention the injections when they did note they had been taking paracetamol. They neglected to mention the injections to their team doctor. They knew full well what they were doing was not allowed and took steps to hide their actions.

If you can't see that the players are responsible for their own actions and right in the middle of that mess then you're too biased for your own good. It would be like forgiving the mobster in a criminal conspiracy for just following orders.

The players lied on their testing forms by neglecting to mention the injections when they did note they had been taking paracetamol. They neglected to mention the injections to their team doctor. They knew full well what they were doing was not allowed and took steps to hide their actions.

If you can't see that the players are responsible for their own actions and right in the middle of that mess then you're too biased for your own good. It would be like forgiving the mobster in a criminal conspiracy for just following orders.
I have no bias. Maybe I am just misinformed.

You’re both correct in a way. The players signed confidentiality agreements and believed the club would look after them. That was their mistake. Dank duped them and I know that 100%. However, the club let the players down so badly that it’s not funny. The club had no way to check on Dank and what he was doing. Piss poor governance. Their coach paid the ultimate price. Players lost a year off their careers. The whole thing was a shambles.

You’re both correct in a way. The players signed confidentiality agreements and believed the club would look after them. That was their mistake. Dank duped them and I know that 100%. However, the club let the players down so badly that it’s not funny. The club had no way to check on Dank and what he was doing. Piss poor governance. Their coach paid the ultimate price. Players lost a year off their careers. The whole thing was a shambles.

Agree with all of this.

This paragraph specfically rejects your argument.

Willie chose to step outside the process of giving his mandatory urine sample.
Therefore he will face the full penalty imo.

Irrelevant what the testing was for, he chose to try and give a substance that was not his urine.

Imo he freaked out, for whatever reason.
The penalty will be harsh..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon, these players were teenagers/young men who were told to do something by their employer so they did it. The club put them in an awful position. Yes it's correct and fair that they be suspended but all of the moral blame lies with the club.

C'mon, these players were teenagers/young men who were told to do something by their employer so they did it. The club put them in an awful position. Yes it's correct and fair that they be suspended but all of the moral blame lies with the club.

Certainly true and that’s why the current WADA code includes penalties and bans for coaches and assistants who facilitate a doping program. The fact that the brains trust of this scheme got off with millions in payouts and *snif* the well-earned ruin of their names was a farce. WADA has specifically amended the doping code in response to the Essendon regime in order to ensure that officials in club environments also get their just deserts.

Well read what I said again. I said the players trusted the club. They followed the club’s instructions which included keeping things secret. They were told that the injections they were receiving were "legal". They even went to the point of getting consent forms made to say that the thymosin was legal. Thirty four consent forms were signed. Thirty four players were charged. ASADA used the consent forms as an indication of who they could charge.

I’ve seen more on this than even WADA has so don’t tell me what happened because I know. Yes the players hid things but they thought they were abiding by what the club asked them to do. The insurance pay outs helped quiet them and probably stopped them suing the club and ultimately the AFL although I’m not sure if they would have been successful.

Well read what I said again. I said the players trusted the club. They followed the club’s instructions which included keeping things secret. They were told that the injections they were receiving were "legal". They even went to the point of getting consent forms made to say that the thymosin was legal. Thirty four consent forms were signed. Thirty four players were charged. ASADA used the consent forms as an indication of who they could charge.

I’ve seen more on this than even WADA has so don’t tell me what happened because I know. Yes the players hid things but they thought they were abiding by what the club asked them to do. The insurance pay outs helped quiet them and probably stopped them suing the club and ultimately the AFL although I’m not sure if they would have been successful.

I read what you said and I’m not sure what your argument now is. Sure the players trusted the club. Who doubts that? They chose poorly doing so, particularly when they had been well-educated to trust no one as they are always and everywhere responsible for what they take. In fact the CAS specifically, as I quoted, dismissed the players’ profession of innocence based on misplaced trust as the players’ actions during the period (hiding from inspectors and the doctor) and deceptions under questioning later discredited their claims of innocence.

The disgrace here, which you seem to acknowledge, is that responsible people in club and the AFL were able escape by buying their way out of trouble. WADA, as I’m sure you know being privy insider information, has been continually refining the rules on team sport following this episode to prevent people escaping again as they did with Essendon.

So I think we are actually quite close to agreement, we just appear to disagree on moral responsibility. I suspect you feel the club deserves more than the players. I can agree with that. I don’t believe that means the players deserve any less, however.

No surprises West Coast bundled him off to the Tiwi Islands before the dust settled.No media has been able to get a permit onto the islands.
A former champion Eagles player, has already come out in the public saying that he would not be surprised if other players at WCE would be on the juice as well.
This is before we know what is actually really going on.

No surprises West Coast bundled him off to the Tiwi Islands before the dust settled.No media has been able to get a permit onto the islands.
A former champion Eagles player, has already come out in the public saying that he would not be surprised if other players at WCE would be on the juice as well.
This is before we know what is actually really going on.
You contraDICKded yourself there, You say he was on the juice and then you say before we know what's really gone on? Try not to get to much more of that utensil'burn...

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And what excuse the older players? The leadership group? I don’t actually believe not one of them googled it, of course you would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back