Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Dead wrong.

Tampering with a doping test is every bit as serious, if not more serious than a positive test.

If the charge is sustained it will be a 4 year ban.
It's my opinion that the question needs to be asked of why it is that he actually did it. As I said, I'm going off the assumption that he had a blood test that had him completely clear of anything in his system. If that's the case then I just think some leniency should be shown, he didn't tamper with the test to avoid getting caught, he tampered with it because he thought providing a full cup was more important than anything else.

There needs to be a difference between deliberately trying to avoid a result and doing what ever it is that Willie did. (Again, assuming he was cleared with the blood test)

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's my opinion that the question needs to be asked of why it is that he actually did it. As I said, I'm going off the assumption that he had a blood test that had him completely clear of anything in his system. If that's the case then I just think some leniency should be shown, he didn't tamper with the test to avoid getting caught, he tampered with it because he thought providing a full cup was more important than anything else.

There needs to be a difference between deliberately trying to avoid a result and doing what ever it is that Willie did. (Again, assuming he was cleared with the blood test)
Blood tests can be clear much sooner from doping than a urine test, and some things are only detectable in the urine or vice versa. A clean blood test doesn't automatically clear you of cheating, thats why ASADA utilise both forms of testing.

Athletes are well aware of the testing protocol, why should some excuse he makes up get him a reduced time? In what world is diluting a sample with *ing gatorade important or logical?

He will get 4 years, and he deserves 4. If this was a chinese swimmer, tour de france cyclist or someone who wasn't a 'good bloke' like Toby Green people would want him given the full penalty

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Rioli's an exciting player from a football royalty family, the product is better with him playing and as a result I fully expect the AFL to find a way around this to limit the time of his suspension.

There's no way he does 4 years and I am in no way defending his actions.
Which family he comes from is not a mitigating factor, and the AFL doesn’t hand out the penalties so I don’t know how they are going to get around the ASADA sanction.
As per the Essendon saga, the AFL thought they had it under control and players would not be suspended, only for ASADA/WADA to do otherwise.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
I preferred Richard Ings when he was an awful tennis umpire and John McEnroe would harangue him
Re: jiggerypokery qua jiggerypokery at affal[sic] hq remember Gillon's inaugural address he spoke of process and system to inspire confidence in governing administration and the governing administration's methods... (doth protesting too hard? in itself was it concession they had f.u.c.k.e.d the pig ??? )

... and now are the processes and system and governance just obfuscation for more jiggerypokery than the mountain men in Deliverance

#limitedhangout

TomsBulgingDisc

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2013
Lumbar
AFL Club
Geelong
Blood tests can be clear much sooner from doping than a urine test, and some things are only detectable in the urine or vice versa. A clean blood test doesn't automatically clear you of cheating, thats why ASADA utilise both forms of testing.

Athletes are well aware of the testing protocol, why should some excuse he makes up get him a reduced time? In what world is diluting a sample with f*n gatorade important or logical?

He will get 4 years, and he deserves 4. If this was a chinese swimmer, tour de france cyclist or someone who wasn't a 'good bloke' like Toby Green people would want him given the full penalty
Absolutely agree. I've noticed the narrative has already been set in motion that Willie is the victim. Simpson quoted as saying this 'thing that's happened to Willie', like it's external to him and he played no part in it.

He was so dehydrated and tired, just like every single person that's ever had to deliver an in comp sample. Not once before has anybody across the globe thought 'yeah, * it, gatorade should do the trick'

Life's tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Absolutely agree. I've noticed the narrative has already been set in motion that Willie is the victim. Simpson quoted as saying this 'thing that's happened to Willie', like it's external to him and he played no part in it.

He was so dehydrated and tired, just like every single person that's ever had to deliver an in comp sample. Not once before has anybody across the globe thought 'yeah, fu** it, gatorade should do the trick'

4 tah succour moms and Nab Auskick

don't kill the golden goose 🕊 c.h.e.r.f I thought that was a pheasant and I was Danny The Champion Of The World

#dahl

Last edited:

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

He was so dehydrated and tired, just like every single person that's ever had to deliver an in comp sample. Not once before has anybody across the globe thought 'yeah, fu** it, gatorade should do the trick'

It's crap and supporters and media alike are pushing a narrative because he's a nice guy. I don't care for his excuse, there is no logical justification.

As I said, people would not have the same idea if it was a rival Olympian or cyclist

frothin

Debutant
Jul 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Athletes are well aware of the testing protocol, why should some excuse he makes up get him a reduced time? In what world is diluting a sample with f*n gatorade important or logical?

How is Sun Yang still competing then after he smashed his vials with a hammer when tested? I'd say 100% that's a case of avoiding a positive test but Rioli trying to avoid a positive by doing what he did... Really?? I think not

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

MagpieJo

Premium Platinum
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surely, when the new kids get all those lectures we hear about, the on on drug testing says ‘guys, if can fill the cup don’t worry, it happens to us all” was he not in class?

The meat in the kebab thing still pusses me off, don’t lie!

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How is Sun Yang still competing then after he smashed his vials with a hammer when tested? I'd say 100% that's a case of avoiding a positive test but Rioli trying to avoid a positive by doing what he did... Really?? I think not

The Sun claim is that the athlete representatives informed Sun that the necessary qualifications, identification, and process by the testers were not followed. Once irregularities were identified by Sun’s team, his mother instructed the security attached to the swimming team to destroy the samples.

Sun was cleared by the first two investigations and subsequent hearings on the basis of procedural irregularities by the testers. His final case will he heard at CAS due to WADA appeal.

There are no reported procedural irregularities on behalf of the ASADA agents in the Rioli case. Hence, Sun could compete and Rioli could not.

frothin

Debutant
Jul 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The Sun claim is that the athlete representatives informed Sun that the necessary qualifications, identification, and process by the testers were not followed. Once irregularities were identified by Sun’s team, his mother instructed the security attached to the swimming team to destroy the samples.

Sun was cleared by the first two investigations and subsequent hearings on the basis of procedural irregularities by the testers. His final case will he heard at CAS due to WADA appeal.

There are no reported procedural irregularities on behalf of the ASADA agents in the Rioli case. Hence, Sun could compete and Rioli could not.
Ok thanks for that info, I didn't realise that, cheers

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

As outlined above the Sun case is different, has some unique folds.

The testers followed protocol from all reports when testing Rioli, by providing a gatorade sample Rioli is deliberately avoiding providing a sample. He may not have avoided by physically smashing his sample, but he physically destroyed his sample by pouring gatorade.

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He'd have had it swept under the rug and gone on playing.

Thankfully he's not and whatever happens will happen.
Thats why the Sun Yang case came to light?

I agree that China is dodgy as hell, and many suspect rampant doping at Bejing in 2008, but my point still stands.
If a Chinese swimmer, or Tour cyclist got caught tampering with samples the Australian public would want a life ban (see ball tampering and the initial reaction for the Aus trio)

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Thats why the Sun Yang case came to light?

I agree that China is dodgy as hell, and many suspect rampant doping at Bejing in 2008, but my point still stands.
If a Chinese swimmer, or Tour cyclist got caught tampering with samples the Australian public would want a life ban (see ball tampering and the initial reaction for the Aus trio)

I dont think it's quite apples and apples...especially with the blood test story. The average punter seeing the details on the 6 o'clock news isnt going to know the intricacies of blood vs urine samples etc. All most people will see is a young indigenous kid who avoided a test and then tested clean anyway.

Not being able to pee vs smashing your samples with a hammer, big difference in perception there.

Not saying its right or wrong, that's what I think the average person is going to get...if they even see enough to form an opinion.

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I dont think it's quite apples and apples...especially with the blood test story. The average punter seeing the details on the 6 o'clock news isnt going to know the intricacies of blood vs urine samples etc. All most people will see is a young indigenous kid who avoided a test and then tested clean anyway.

Not being able to pee vs smashing your samples with a hammer, big difference in perception there.

Not saying its right or wrong, that's what I think the average person is going to get...if they even see enough to form an opinion.
That's largely my point about narratives, the media is already in the corner of Willie reporting he couldn't pee as his excuse but not reporting the serious lack of protocol in Yang case.

Media reports stuff and members like Brownless say it was a harmless mistake that gets grabbed by fans and flip it to Willie being a victim

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
That's largely my point about narratives, the media is already in the corner of Willie reporting he couldn't pee as his excuse but not reporting the serious lack of protocol in Yang case.

Media reports stuff and members like Brownless say it was a harmless mistake that gets grabbed by fans and flip it to Willie being a victim

I still dont think it's quite the same. You have Rioli's case where, at least to the average person it's "whats the big deal? He couldnt pee, they got his blood test and it came back negative" vs Yang where "they got nothing 'cause he bashed his sample to death with a hammer."

That's a BIG difference in optics.

It's the equivalent of getting pulled over by the cops for a breath test and opting for the blood test and coming back under the limit vs doing a runner.

lysp

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

That "leak" came out shortly after he retained legal representation.

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Back