Rumour Willie Rioli allegedly caught tampering with a drug testing sample

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does anyone know how long this will take play out? Is there a schedule for the investigation, hearing, verdict etc? I hope it wraps up sooner rather than later - for everyone's sake.

ChesterTreasure

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Does anyone know how long this will take play out? Is there a schedule for the investigation, hearing, verdict etc? I hope it wraps up sooner rather than later - for everyone's sake.
I have a feeling the timeline is now irrelevant as far as Willie's career goes.

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Depends if he goes through deliberation or just takes the penalty outright, going through the full deliberation with ASADA could take as long as Sam Murray or could be as soon as years end if he just takes his penalty

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Weed is probably one of the dumbest drugs for a player to take, can't it stay in your system and show up in drug tests for weeks?

aza80

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
avfc, chicago bears
Legislation and rules aside, should a positive result for cannabis warrant any penalty for football players?

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Legislation and rules aside, should a positive result for cannabis warrant any penalty for football players?
Not unless its on competition day/ in-competition, should take a similar approach to the UFC which has a certain threshold of THC metabolites for "in-competition" testing, if you are over the threshold you are positive, under and you are fine.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I understand it depends a bit on the player and his legal team. They cop it and it can happen pretty quickly - in the next few months. If they choose to marshal defensive arguments I suspect it draws out longer.

I agree with your sentiment though. Sooner the better especially for the player. Wandering about with a sword dangling over your head is hideous for any individual.

Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Weed is probably one of the dumbest drugs for a player to take, can't it stay in your system and show up in drug tests for weeks?
Depends on frequency and body fat. For an athlete like Willie, it should be his system for a maximum 1 week unless hes been smoking chronically which would stay in his system for 4-8 weeks.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I may be wrong but I think I read earlier that marijuana doesn’t come with the largest of penalties but the fact he has tried to jeopardize another test when it is now known that he is a drug user would seem to suggest he should prepare for 4 years.

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I may be wrong but I think I read earlier that marijuana doesn’t come with the largest of penalties but the fact he has tried to jeopardize another test when it is now known that he is a drug user would seem to suggest he should prepare for 4 years.
I think also because it was a game day test he's in plenty of trouble as well.

I agree with your sentiment though. Sooner the better especially for the player. Wandering about with a sword dangling over your head is hideous for any individual.
He'll be right. Just have another cone.

thewiz0033

Senior List
Feb 18, 2016
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Couth Fremantle
Not unless its on competition day/ in-competition, should take a similar approach to the UFC which has a certain threshold of THC metabolites for "in-competition" testing, if you are over the threshold you are positive, under and you are fine.
That is the case under WADA rules. They recently increased the allowable limit to 150 parts (I think this was a 10 fold increase) to avoid the complication of the drug being taken weeks before. He would have had to have bee above the increased limit for an infraction to have been issued

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That is the case under WADA rules. They recently increased the allowable limit to 150 parts (I think this was a 10 fold increase) to avoid the complication of the drug being taken weeks before. He would have had to have bee above the increased limit for an infraction to have been issued
Yeah I read up on the Wada increase after this post, the sanctionable threshold is 175 now so Willie was obviously stoned pretty soon to competition. This wasn't a remaining amounts from weeks earlier

for safety reasons, certainly not for performance enhancing reasons
WADA disagrees.

Some stuff on the USADA website from WADA about why they say it may be performance enhancing.

Back