Rumour Willie Rioli allegedly caught tampering with a drug testing sample

Remove this Banner Ad

I was hoping that once we had the decision we would also have the detailed reasoning behind it along with admitted/determined facts so we could put an end to all the speculation about exactly what happened and how the AFL arrived at its decision.

But all we get is a one pager from the AFL, so the arguments in this thread could go on forever.

am I the only one who is actually shocked?

I know the AFL are numpties ... but surely this is not the right thing?

Firstly - how on earth does it take nearly 2 years to have a hearing and get a verdict if he pleaded guilty and admitted everything? that is not justice, no matter what he did.

Secondly, if he is guilty of tampering with a sample, not once but TWICE, how on earth do they cut what is is a mandatory 4 years down to 2 for early admission? Sanctions are not just for punishment but are a deterrence to others - and this sends the message that if you have taken something, if you mess with the sample you can talk your way down to 2 years.
The AFL hate the truth coming out about any drug problems. Hence in the past the 3 strike rule and the broom sweep, rug policy
To the general public the AFL seems very soft with players drugs offences

am I the only one who is actually shocked?

I know the AFL are numpties ... but surely this is not the right thing?

Firstly - how on earth does it take nearly 2 years to have a hearing and get a verdict if he pleaded guilty and admitted everything? that is not justice, no matter what he did.

Secondly, if he is guilty of tampering with a sample, not once but TWICE, how on earth do they cut what is is a mandatory 4 years down to 2 for early admission? Sanctions are not just for punishment but are a deterrence to others - and this sends the message that if you have taken something, if you mess with the sample you can talk your way down to 2 years.
it is not a mandatory 4 years, it is a maximum 4 years.

I would also be very interested to know the circumstances around the test/s on 5th September. He was (seemingly concurrently) charged with both tampering with a sample and testing positive to a prohibited substance (THC). That really makes no sense without context (which we are lacking as the details aren't public).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

it is not a mandatory 4 years, it is a maximum 4 years.

I would also be very interested to know the circumstances around the test/s on 5th September. He was (seemingly concurrently) charged with both tampering with a sample and testing positive to a prohibited substance (THC). That really makes no sense without context (which we are lacking as the details aren't public).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Again i say there is only one reason why somebody would interfere with their drug test or get somebody else too and you don't have to be Einstein to work out why

I’m glad Willie has finally received some clarity on his penalty. Far too long.

But he will forever now be known as a drug cheat.
I'm not sure, I think most football fans are smarter than that. Perhaps I'm giving them too much credit, but most players can be rehabilitated in the eyes of the public given time.

I’m glad Willie has finally received some clarity on his penalty. Far too long.

But he will forever now be known as a drug cheat.

Most supporters are smarter than your average Richmond numpty.
panicking because you smoked weed hardly constitutes cheating.. incredibly stupid yes
Or are u too salty to acknowledge zero peds found

Most supporters are smarter than your average Richmond numpty.
panicking because you smoked weed hardly constitutes cheating.. incredibly stupid yes
Or ware u too salty to acknowledge zero peds found
Zero peds were found. But the rules for tampering are such that you don’t need to be able to prove there’s peds in a sample if an athlete deliberately tampers with the sample.

He will unfortunately be known for this than any feat on the field.

Zero peds were found. But the rules for tampering are such that you don’t need to be able to prove there’s peds in a sample if an athlete deliberately tampers with the sample.

He will unfortunately be known for this than any feat on the field.

Yes he used Gatorade to hide the zero peds in his system..

You’re a genius

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he does get back he can thank the prestige of his family name. Maurice and Cyril have a certain standing in the game which makes for a more forgiving attitude to Willie. He's bloody lucky. A nobody with the same level of ability would be delisted and never considered again.

If we boo him will we be told its racism?
Yes. In reality his “culture” is probably what has stopped him getting the maximum. Be interesting to see what the results would be if they tested him today. Hair test can detect 3 months is it?

Yes. In reality his “culture” is probably what has stopped him getting the maximum. Be interesting to see what the results would be if they tested him today. Hair test can detect 3 months is it?

They tested him at the time genius

Unlike Crowley he wasn’t a PEDS cheat

Like I said, if any player in the future takes PEDs and gets stuck with a drug test - why wouldn’t they give a sample of Gatorade? Only 2 years compared to something much much worse.
Sanctions are not just for punishment but are a deterrence to others - and this sends the message that if you have taken something, if you mess with the sample you can talk your way down to 2 years.
There is only one reason why you would try and cheat a drug test and that is your guilty.
So if you've taken some serious PEDs and get hit with a drug test - just give them gatorade. 2 years is way better than 4 or more. Disgraceful.

What a lot of ppl may be missing in this case is that despite the gatorade caper (and whatever that actually looked like) a successful sample WAS taken - no PEDs were in his system. Rioli did however prove himself to be a pothead.

To say otherwise is just to ignore the facts of the case because you have an axe to grind.

I agree that if NO successful sample was taken and he poured the gatorade he should get the full 4 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back