News Willie Rioli: tampered with drug testing sample; tests positive for cannabis

Remove this Banner Ad

West coast fans are frustrated yet have been going through this for about a week.

Try going through this x 100 for 4 years...

Would have been a lot less painful had your club just cooperated and admitted they had cheated. Would have sucked to have been a supporter for sure, but the club and everyone involved brought it on themselves.

No I've got it right, you need a way to vent your frustration at the team you support being perennial losers / tankers (is that cheating!), you thought you had a chance last year in the finals but the Eagles obliterated them and that inhalation went so deep it also ruined your team this year, Now that WC have had something bad happen you see it as a way to jump in boots and all as an outlet for your frustration....:rainbow:
Reality is , it is you who is venting your anger and frustration out on those who discuss that a drug cheat from your side has been caught.

Unable to pass urine for hours on end, got frustrated and gave a sample of Gatorade. Then proceeded to give a blood test, which was shown to be clean
Who said he g@ve a blood test, please provide ASADA quote, not AFL accredited media, did 2illie boy ever mention a blood test..

If that is the case what outcome for the media liar?
Surely it's some of the media parasites paid for their indiscretions like the players.
Tribunal should suspend them for Ex weeks for telling porkies.
The media is preaching the AFL gospel, no one tests positive in AFL world

Sick of fans getting so defensive when one or the whole team get caught with their hand in the lolly jar.

It’s not your fault, dont take responsibility for it. It’s the player that cheated.

I get frustrated at fans who try and defend their drug cheating players.
I have no beef with Rioli but he deserves his wack.
It’s the Australian way, the media was all over the young swimmer coming with plausible ( sic) ways for her to have not taken any peds, yet in the end she did and she has, at least the Peris girl claimed racism

so I'll ask again, is that different from a finding of tampering? They appear in my limited reading to be separate in the WADA Code.

My point being to the poster I was quoting,
a list of previous athletes and their punishments for tampering is as irrelevant as a list of previous athletes and their punishment for refusing to submit, in this case.

So you know the charge?

And the discussion was about charges relating to tampering. At no point have I declared what the charge is.

You have come into the thread half cocked with a passionate defence of Willie without knowing the charge or the circumstances - none of us do and most have illustrated general examples recognising the privacy and integrity of the ASADA process. To quote an AFL report when the AFL have a demonstrated history of not being completely honest about ASADA investigations in the past is disingenuous.

A poster challenged the assertion that if it is tampering, ASADA will recommend the maximum penalty. A list of tampering charges where WADA recommended the maximum penalty was provided.

I can do the same for prohibited method if you like. It’ll be the same result - maximum penalty is the default recommendation and referrals to CAS consistently occur when the sanctioning body administers a lower sanction with a cooperative position from the athlete (or athlete retirement).

Summary of the arguments...

Argument 1 - ‘He hasn’t tested positive to any PED’s, he was severely dehydrated’.
Response - ‘where have ASADA said that?’

Argument 2 - ‘Willie is a drug cheat, he needs to cop 4 years’
Response - ‘Where have ASADA said that?’

We know very little of what has happened!! Things look very bad for Willie, but no one here or in the media KNOWS what actually happened yet...

Unfortunately, we'll likely never know with certainty whether he was on PED's or not.

well said which, unfortunately for Willie, is why the penalty will be at the top end of the range. we will never know for certain whether he took PED's. He will be judged based on a false sample and the penalties are high

He hasn't been charged with tested positive, he has been charged with giving a wrong sample IE: he tried to dupe the tester.

Do you know that charge is just as bad if not worse than testing positive?

Now for the gullible bit.

If you think he wasn't trying to hide something, i would say you would be very gullible.

Oh, and unless you have a quote from Willie, then your story is a croc of crap, because ASADA are not allowed to say a word.
You don't know that either - suggest you reread the charge. Everybody is just speculating and all this trolling is not going to change the outcome whatever that may be. Everybody just needs to take a chill pill and let things take its course as we won't know for some time what the outcome will be and for how long. All the speculation in the world is not going to change that.

If Willie is out of an AFL club for 12 months, career over, you should have seen the state he was in playing for a SANFL club prior to joining the eagles I reckon he's lost about 30 kilo

Things arent looking good for Willie you are right

12 months and career over?

That's shorter than alot of ACL injuries. He's still allowed to train with WC and be at the club and have access to all the personal trainers and nutritionists that life brings. In what world would 12 months be career over for an injury free 25 year old Rioli with skill to burn?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you know the charge?

And the discussion was about charges relating to tampering. At no point have I declared what the charge is.

You have come into the thread half cocked with a passionate defence of Willie without knowing the charge or the circumstances - none of us do and most have illustrated general examples recognising the privacy and integrity of the ASADA process. To quote an AFL report when the AFL have a demonstrated history of not being completely honest about ASADA investigations in the past is disingenuous.

A poster challenged the assertion that if it is tampering, ASADA will recommend the maximum penalty. A list of tampering charges where WADA recommended the maximum penalty was provided.

I can do the same for prohibited method if you like. It’ll be the same result - maximum penalty is the default recommendation and referrals to CAS consistently occur when the sanctioning body administers a lower sanction with a cooperative position from the athlete (or athlete retirement).

not true at all. please point out where I've done this?

That's shorter than alot of ACL injuries. He's still allowed to train with WC and be at the club and have access to all the personal trainers and nutritionists that life brings. In what world would 12 months be career over for an injury free 25 year old Rioli with skill to burn?
I know he is permitted to train with the club while provisionally suspended, but if/when he is formally suspended, doesn't that permission get removed?

well said which, unfortunately for Willie, is why the penalty will be at the top end of the range. we will never know for certain whether he took PED's. He will be judged based on a false sample and the penalties are high
Far too high IMO. If a second sample was taken or a blood test, and I know we don't know this in this instance - but just speaking generally and not about this particular case that if it comes to light what the player has or hasn't taken - this is what the sentence should be based on IMO. Obviously Willy should get something even for just being stupid but not 4 years! I believe the 4 years was brought in mainly aimed at Olympians as they only compete every 4 years and this was to prevent them being able to compete in the next Olympics. I think 12 months is plenty for a footballer or at the very most 2 years depending upon the circumstances and outcome of the investigation.

No, under provisional suspension he can train with the group, but if he is suspended then no, he can't be near the club

Far too high IMO. If a second sample was taken or a blood test, and I know we don't know this in this instance - but just speaking generally and not about this particular case that if it comes to light what the player has or hasn't taken - this is what the sentence should be based on IMO. Obviously Willy should get something even for just being stupid but not 4 years! I believe the 4 years was brought in mainly aimed at Olympians as they only compete every 4 years and this was to prevent them being able to compete in the next Olympics. I think 12 months is plenty for a footballer or at the very most 2 years depending upon the circumstances and outcome of the investigation.
Wow, for someone who likes telling people not to make crap up, you sure make a lot of crap up.

Eagles expect Rioli to get nothing. The test wasnt conducted properly under any circumstances. A fairly easy argument it seems. ASADA and co want to do some form of plea deal but Eagles not interested or having none of it. ASADA want to slap on wrist to hide the embarassment of their own * up, but Eagles seem intent on taking it all the way and getting him off.

Essentially guys, he cant fail a test he never actually took......

Eagles expect Rioli to get nothing. The test wasnt conducted properly under any circumstances. A fairly easy argument it seems. ASADA and co want to do some form of plea deal but Eagles not interested or having none of it. ASADA want to slap on wrist to hide the embarassment of their own fu** up, but Eagles seem intent on taking it all the way and getting him off.

I heard arnie injected him with gear and he’s the next mr olympia

Im a bit bewildered that Eagles have been so quiet about this as well. Seems to be our new motto. We should be reaming them silly. The fact Rioli got suspended was absurd to begin with, especially on the back of ASADA refusing to explain the details of the case.

Its one of those cases where if the details got explained by ASADA, it would embarass them and would have gotten reamed in public

Im a bit bewildered that Eagles have been so quiet about this as well. Seems to be our new motto. We should be reaming them silly. The fact Rioli got suspended was absurd to begin with, especially on the back of ASADA refusing to explain the details of the case.

Its one of those cases where if the details got explained by ASADA, it would embarass them and would have gotten reamed in public
Yeah i'm bewildered they have been so quiet, yet told you.

Eagles expect Rioli to get nothing. The test wasnt conducted properly under any circumstances. A fairly easy argument it seems. ASADA and co want to do some form of plea deal but Eagles not interested or having none of it. ASADA want to slap on wrist to hide the embarassment of their own fu** up, but Eagles seem intent on taking it all the way and getting him off.

Cant wait to next years tour de france when the riders say I can pee, Ive been riding for 10 hours

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back