News Willie Rioli: tampered with drug testing sample; tests positive for cannabis

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s obviously in trouble but the length of ban will come down to intent somewhat. If he cops to taking pingers and panicking, they may go a year (Bombers only got two for PEDs, though their defence was they didn’t think it was PEDs). Given he was coming off a serious injury, if it was PEDs with intent, then it would surely be two to four years and game over.

Will be a shame if we don’t see him play again. No ones fault but his, but a shame.

Four years is completely appropriate if you are advocating for a clean sport environment. Four years is a huge disincentive. The argument that it is career ending in football and not for Olympians does not hold weight - a four year ban ends most athletes careers.

The question should not be ‘does Willie deserve to have his career ended?’ to ‘should athletes that take PEDs be subject to significant sanctions in a contact sport?’

Last edited:
I agree on the penalties issue. 4 years is definately based around an Olympic cycle. AFL should be negotiating around the same WADA code and testing but maximum penalties for first offence of 2 years.

On the offense itself and the blood test issue, my son is an accredited drug tester. He works in the occ health area not sport but he is accredited to perform tests for ASADA if he wanted to.
He made a couple of points to me.
Firstly the tester will not interfere with a someone doing something stupid in the sample. If they witness or suspect something they simply make a note and request a second sample. He says they basically say there has been a chain of custody issue and that sample can't be relied on. They don't even tell the person being tested what the issue was.

Secondly they do not then simply to a blood test. He believes it would be very unusual for a tester to even carry the blood test instruments when attending a urine test.

So when was the blood test taken, was he accompanied during the entire period, and will ASADA ignore it in any case

....let alone getting a privately contracted phlebotomist at short notice and having access to the special blood packaging required. If the original test was urine only, the DCO may not have any of these with them. There are far too many inconsistencies to believe that a secondary blood test was taken.

....let alone getting a privately contracted phlebotomist at short notice and having access to the special blood packaging required. If the original test was urine only, the DCO may not have any of these with them. There are far too many inconsistencies to believe that a secondary blood test was taken.
If there was a second blood test and it came up clean the AFL would have never had their conference and enforced the provisional ban , they are not an organisation known for integrity, they would have pushed back on ASADA. Brand protection no one ever cheats in gillons AFL

Unfortunately it is not speculation that he has been suspended.
I truly hope it does not take the ignorant lazy campaigners at ASADA 18 months to get off their fat lazy taxpayer funded arses and get to the nitty-gritty of making a decision as it did with Sam Murray's case.
He had an almost indeterminable quantity of a a recreational drug in him and they ended his career with their abject self-aggrandising stupidity.
One can only hope that the entire ASADA staff suffer a miserable career ending misdemeanour asap.
Hopefully losing their tax payer funded super handshakes as well.

Low life scum they are.

It's well documented that fat lazy taxpayer funded arses move extremely slowly.

Four years is completely appropriate if you are advocating for a clean sport environment. Four years is a huge disincentive. The argument that it is career ending in football and not for Olympians does not hold weight - a four year ban ends most athletes careers.

The question should not be ‘does Willie deserve to have his career ended?’ to ‘should athletes that take PEDs be subject to significant sanctions in a contact sport?’

Athletes that take PEDs might deserve a significant sanction.
Not sure that Rioli sits in that category.

Have people read the AFL anti doping code. The AFL and ASADA have wiggle room if the player has tested positive, because Rioli tampered with the sample they have little wiggle room. The code is reasonable and fair, an AFL run code would be useless and unfair. They can not even get the rules they are in control of consistent and fair and punishments are far from consistent.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AFL-Anti-Doping-Code-2015-FINAL.pdf

People need to read point 10.6 and check out example 14. Based on the available information Rioli will be charged with Tampering, or Attempted Tampering with any part of Doping Control (10.6). He will then face 4 year ban (17.3 a) with the only way to reduce the 4 years to 2 years is to dob in other players or admit fault when confronted (17.3 c) and hope WADA agree with the reduction. I am doubtful that he has anyone to dob in or would, admitting also mentions the level of fault and seriousness. He is not eligible for any other discount if he is charged under 10.6. He would have been better of returning a positive test.

The reductions and excuses in the West Australian are what I would expect from year 4 debate, so normal West quality. The only real change I can see from before Armstrongs suspension is actually making it lenient to the players not harsher. Missing Tests or not being available for tests has more leeway which is better. Rioli would have faced a very similar outcome prior to Armstrong with the violation he has allegedly committed.

Have people read the AFL anti doping code. The AFL and ASADA have wiggle room if the player has tested positive, because Rioli tampered with the sample they have little wiggle room. The code is reasonable and fair, an AFL run code would be useless and unfair. They can not even get the rules they are in control of consistent and fair and punishments are far from consistent.

Plenty of aspects of the anti-doping code are illogical, and this yet another example, that you can have wriggle room for someone testing positive, but that there could be little wriggle room for anyone squirting some gatorade into a cup.

Basically, the whole framework is stupid and does not come even remotely close to achieving what is purporting to achieve. It's all about a government agency going after low hanging fruit to pump up the stats for the annual report.

If a pistol shooter was getting tested and turned around and shot the official, then yes, I would concede that probably deserves a four year penalty. I would view that as a serious matter.
But for what Rioli has done???

Plenty of aspects of the anti-doping code are illogical, and this yet another example, that you can have wriggle room for someone testing positive, but that there could be little wriggle room for anyone squirting some gatorade into a cup.

Basically, the whole framework is stupid and does not come even remotely close to achieving what is purporting to achieve. It's all about a government agency going after low hanging fruit to pump up the stats for the annual report.

If a pistol shooter was getting tested and turned around and shot the official, then yes, I would concede that probably deserves a four year penalty. I would view that as a serious matter.

If the AFL want to be part of ASADA rthen they play by their rules regardless of what they are

If Rioli wantsto play in the AFL he plays by the AFL's rule

ASADA don't have a gun to their head just ask the NRL

Your analogy to the pistol shooter has has no relevance to the drug testing, or the rules that apply. If you shoot someone I am pretty sure you would have a criminal case to answer, rather then an ASADA doping case.

What Rioli has done more than anything else, is treat the whole process like a lark. The code was not written for that, the underlying assumption is that the players understand the significance of the process and treat it with some gravitas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard about this being just a case of Willie struggling to pee so lost his patience and poured gatorade in to get himself out of there. let's take that at face value.

Ahmed Saad got done for a protein shake being dodgy.
Ryan Crowley accidentally took a dodgy painkiller for his back problems (subverted the club doc).
Josh Thomas and Keeffe had dodgy steak was it? or was it maybe cocaine related?
Sam Murray cocaine related?
Lachie Whitfield hid from drug testers because his ex Mrs was a biatch?
Almost the entire EFC list got duped by the club despite signing waiver forms and lying to ASADA testers?
Now little (previously obese) Willie got a bit impatient waiting to pee?

The AFL community should open it's f***ing eyes and accept that our footy players/clubs are doping instead of continually rewarding/making excuses for them. It's a f***ing disgrace.

Last edited:
Oh boy. You got Liam Ryan drink driving and Willie Rioli tampering with urine samples.

Great culture over at West Coast!

I'm afraid that Worsfold has already infected Essendon with their culture

Yep we have had some stupid individuals at the club do some stupid things. The bombers however had a Stupid Board, Stupid Coach and a Dodgy Doctor absolutely SCREW their players. There is a difference between a few individuals being stupid and Club Sponsored Stupid

I keep reading about a blood test that was clean. Is this true or PR spin?
Can someone please tell me whether there was a blood test and if so when and by whom?

People need to read point 10.6 and check out example 14. Based on the available information Rioli will be charged with Tampering, or Attempted Tampering with any part of Doping Control (10.6). He will then face 4 year ban (17.3 a) with the only way to reduce the 4 years to 2 years is to dob in other players or admit fault when confronted (17.3 c) and hope WADA agree with the reduction. I am doubtful that he has anyone to dob in or would, admitting also mentions the level of fault and seriousness. He is not eligible for any other discount if he is charged under 10.6. He would have been better of returning a positive test.

Except that he wasn't.

He was charged with with the equivalent of 10.3.

I keep reading about a blood test that was clean. Is this true or PR spin?
Can someone please tell me whether there was a blood test and if so when and by whom?

It's probably false, and if it is true it was very unlikely to have been administered by ASADA.

The story was "broken" by a journo from the West Australian.

Have heard about this being just a case of Willie struggling to pee so lost his patience and poured gatorade in to get himself out of there. let's take that at face value.

Ahmed Saad got done for a protein shake being dodgy.
Ryan Crowley accidentally took a dodgy painkiller for his back problems (subverted the club doc).
Josh Thomas and Keeffe had dodgy steak was it? or was it maybe cocaine related?
Sam Murray cocaine related?
Lachie Whitfield hid from drug testers because his ex Mrs was a biatch?
Almost the entire EFC list got duped by the club despite signing waiver forms and lying to ASADA testers?
Now little (previously obese) Willie got a bit impatient waiting to pee?

The AFL community should open it's f***ing eyes and accept that our footy players/clubs are doping instead of continually rewarding/making excuses for them. It's a f***ing disgrace.

Lachie Whitfield hid from drug testers did he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back