News Willie Rioli: tampered with drug testing sample; tests positive for cannabis

Remove this Banner Ad

He was severely dehydrated but he didn't drink the sports drink he had in his possession for four hours. West Coast need to be investigated for negligence, for over-training players without adequate hydration leading to severe dehydration.

Or another possibility is that he was getting increasingly frustrated because he was busting for a piss and couldn't think of any way out of the test, until he could not hold it any longer and did something desperate.

Of course it does; that's why we have sliding scales of punishment in all walks of life.

So anyone who tampers with a test can claim they are innocent and get a slap on the wrist? Based on their word? Good to know.

In the real world, there's no way to prove if he's cheated or not, because his own actions has covered up the truth. Which is why the rules are there. If he's not assumed to be guilty then you've created a loophole that will lead to a PED free for all.

This report claiming he “later had a blood test which revealed that he had no illicit or performance-enhancing substances in his body.” makes no reference to who did the blood test or who made those findings.

Unless it was ASADA it will have zero bearing on the case.

Not to mention blood tests are far less effective in finding PED’s and illicits. Urine is the gold standard for testing for a reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are gathering as much public sympathy as possible. Normal WC way using all their media sycophants as pawns.

Bombers did the same. As would any other club caught in a similar predicament. It's all bullsh1t...we get that. There will be others who will believe the spin. And that's what the club and Rioli's lawyers are aiming for.

I'm not saying he was a PED user. He may have partied on the weekend and panicked thinking he was about to get done. Then again, he may have been...maybe micro dosed on the day and once again panicked. The 4 hour story imo, is garbage. It is something other clubs would try though.

No surprise very salty and obsessed freo fans dominating discussion

when your club is so s**t, this is what you have to cling to
Some of us have the emotional intelligence to separate the "club" from the "act". If one of our players had done this act, my responses would be exactly the same!
For what its worth, I actually feel sorry for him and I hope that he gets all the support he needs. I wish that he could turn back the clock and avoid doing what he did.
But, irrespective of who he plays for, he did something wrong.

Am I the only one wondering, if he went back that evening for a blood test - how was he STILL not able to provide a urine sample?

I'd wait for it all to come out first. I heard Tom Browne on talking footy last night just rehashing what Townsend reported - and added that ASADA did the test because "that's what was reported".

I repeat - Townsend admitted on radio yesterday that he DOES NOT KNOW when the blood test happened, nor who administered it.

These journos just make s**t up. We need to stop taking it seriously.

I'd wait for it all to come out first. I heard Tom Browne on talking footy last night just rehashing what Townsend reported - and added that ASADA did the test because "that's what was reported".

I repeat - Townsend admitted on radio yesterday that he DOES NOT KNOW when the blood test happened, nor who administered it.

These journos just make s**t up. We need to stop taking it seriously.

It has to be ASADA for the test to be used and believed , if it wsnt ASADA you or I may aswell have done the tests they would be irrelevant or athletes would bring in their own testers and not asada's. Unless their is a suggestion Asadas testers are corrupt

AS for the results, Ive read the last three most recent articles all say the tests arent back yet

As for his excuse I couldnt pee, lets be honest, what else could he say, every athlete will claim ignorance if they get caught doing something, unless they are frightfully honest

Am I the only one wondering, if he went back that evening for a blood test - how was he STILL not able to provide a urine sample?
As well as that, apparently WCE had no idea this all unfolded at their training session until last Thursday. Willie hung around for 4 hours, couldn’t pee and then supposedly went for a blood test. But after all this had not bothered to mention the unusual circumstances to one official at the club. Hmmm...maybe Sumich is onto something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard on good authority that Willie struggles with stage fright on a severe level and simply can't piss in front of another person. The reason he used the substiture allegedly stemmed from this and in a panic, tried to trick the supervisor by using a false method. Simply because he was too nervous to piss in front of the testers. I'd imagine he could would be incredibly embarrassed by this if that was the case and may not wish to make the reason public out of fear of being mocked. Which just makes him look guilty. Catch 22

Have heard on good authority that Willie struggles with stage fright on a severe level and simply can't piss in front of another person. The reason he used the substiture allegedly stemmed from this and in a panic, tried to trick the supervisor by using a false method. Simply because he was too nervous to piss in front of the testers. I'd imagine he could would be incredibly embarrassed by this if that was the case and may not wish to make the reason public out of fear of being mocked. Which just makes him look guilty. Catch 22

There query I have is, he regularly uses change rooms and showers around 20+ other chaps. He now claims he has stage fright and can’t pee, ..... for 4 hours.

Another point, was this his first ever test ?. Should he not know the procedure and protocols ?.

There query I have is, he regularly uses change rooms and showers around 20+ other chaps. He now claims he has stage fright and can’t pee, ..... for 4 hours.

Another point, was this his first ever test ?. Should he not know the procedure and protocols ?.

Every AFL player knows the procedures and protocols there is an abundance of education or the clubs would be liable for not providing it.

Who knows he may sue the West Coast if they haven't educated him on these, but I doubt West Coast are that stupid

Every AFL player knows the procedures and protocols there is an abundance of education or the clubs would be liable for not providing it.

Who knows he may sue the West Coast if they haven't educated him on these, but I doubt West Coast are that stupid
The clubs don’t provide the education. ASADA does.

They are gathering as much public sympathy as possible. Normal WC way using all their media sycophants as pawns.
WCE propaganda machine is like nothing else. I mean Ben cousins went nearly a decade without getting busted.

"Hey Davo, this bloke's been struggling to give a urine sample for four hours. What do?"
"Threaten him with a four-year ban under the ASADA code."
*psssssssssssssssssss*
"You know something, Davo? That's why you get paid the big bucks."

I know a couple of guys at the AFC both players and Officials over the years , they have advised the AFC constantly educate their players on drugs, testing the lot

Maybe Melbourne dont look out for that, but I know Adelaide do
No. ASADA send a yep yearly to do a 1.5 hour presentation to all players and staff.

It’s part of their process. This isn’t a club based thing, ASADA do it for all AFL/VFL teams and presumably WAFL, NEAFL and SANFL.

What clubs do over the top of that is fine, but ASADA run education for all clubs. He can’t sue west coast if he didn’t know.

It has to be ASADA for the test to be used and believed , if it wsnt ASADA you or I may aswell have done the tests they would be irrelevant or athletes would bring in their own testers and not asada's. Unless their is a suggestion Asadas testers are corrupt

AS for the results, Ive read the last three most recent articles all say the tests arent back yet

As for his excuse I couldnt pee, lets be honest, what else could he say, every athlete will claim ignorance if they get caught doing something, unless they are frightfully honest

The packaging for both urine/blood tests are exclusive to WADA/ASADA. A doctor's surgery/pathology clinic wouldn't have them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back