News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

It sends the wrong message to the guys on the list doing the right thing, making sacrifices, working their butts off to get the team playing finals. Only for Willie to be brought straight back into the side after this latest incident.
This is such a tricky position for the club. We have been down the road of looking past indiscretions for a range of players and the culture grows. Like any WEED, what you see is just the surface, we know there is most likely more underneath, not seen, particularly when repeated and taking place in highly targeted public places. That indicates a very strong desire, masked perhaps by an ability to hide behind an innocent facade. Even very low IQ rec users don't go to airports with an ounce on them.This is more than an IQ issue, it is deep seated.

Look i know there are a lot of dope sympathizers on here, and i don't want to sound like a nark so i apologize in advance, whilst i don't really have an issue with Pot and think it's fairly harmless in general....

But Dope addicts, in MY experience are some of the most undisciplined, unstructured, unmotivated type of addicts you can get. It's like they can't really function on it because they're just a slave to the 'harmless' drug and wholeheartedly believe they're in full control and that it does absolutely nothing wrong. Just lazy people you can't motivate to do anything, who portray themselves as hard done by and a victim more often than not. I'm certainly yet to meet anyone who uses weed and is self motivated and a go getter.

If Rioli is THAT keen on dope that he's literally suspended for 2 years for it and can't keep himself straight enough to not smuggle an ounce of Scott Green through a Darwin airport 3 months before he's due to resume a lucrative AFL career most kids can only dream of...

Then how can he possibly function properly on it (part time recreational use wise) and play in a professional competition?

It's naive to think this latest debacle will make him suddenly give it up completely.

It sends the wrong message to the guys on the list doing the right thing, making sacrifices, working their butts off to get the team playing finals. Only for Willie to be brought straight back into the side after this latest incident.
If you * up twice, you might only miss two years.

It'll be 07 all over again.

That is penalising the team not just Willie.

Willie penalised the team for 2 years because of his own stupidity.

He needs to prove that he is more than just a good small forward at this point - he needs to be a good small forward AND show that he can stay off the drugs by undergoing club testing/ rehab. If he can do that then fine, play him. Otherwise we'll invest time in someone who can kick goals and pass a drug test on the same day.

I'd proceed as planned (i.e. play him this year) but move him and his immediate family to Perth sooner rather than later, get him into rehab and tie his continued involvement with the club after rehab to drug tests.

Playing this year is the carrot, rehab is the support he needs and a failed drug test is the stick.

I'm fairly certain it is in the CBA that clubs can't put a clause into an individuals contract around target drug testing.

It's crazy, because he's now had 2 instances (3, but the first 2 with ASADA were kind of one instance) with recreational drugs. Without knowing him he seems otherwise a good corporate citizen - but it would be very hard for the club not to constantly wonder what he is getting up to in his spare time without the ability to test him weekly etc.

Rioli needs structure back. He's not a person who is intrinsically motivated. Hence why he got fat
This. I think once he’s back into a professional structure he will pull his head in. Being back in the confides of the club with a support network around him will do him a world of good.

He’ll cop his fine, once he’s back on the field snapping ankles all will be forgotten.

I hope this isn't the end for Willie but it doesn't sound great. Reckon a lot of it will come down to how the players respond - can understand why they would not be pleased

Tiwi scenes

DamSJQT.gif

After his bust in 2019 the club obviously felt that leaving him amongst familiar surroundings in Darwin was best for him mentally. Seems like all that achieved is letting him develop his habit even further.

If we keep him you can guess what happens next, he gets busted again and derails another season. Too much hard work, just cut him loose.

This. I think once he’s back into a professional structure he will pull his head in. Being back in the confides of the club with a support network around him will do him a world of good.

He’ll cop his fine, once he’s back on the field snapping ankles all will be forgotten.
Undoubtedly so to an extent. Don't forget however, he already was in a professional structure, in the confides of the club with support around him for strike 1.
This is deeper than some people realise, or perhaps want to realise. It's not about smoking a little pot. It's about the level of desire to need it and go to extreme with it. Take major risk, deceive knowing consequences, airports, AFL games. There is a genuine mental issue here that takes it beyond smoking a little pot.

Last edited:
But Dope addicts, in MY experience are some of the most undisciplined, unstructured, unmotivated type of addicts you can get. It's like they can't really function on it because they're just a slave to the 'harmless' drug and wholeheartedly believe they're in full control and that it does absolutely nothing wrong. Just lazy people you can't motivate to do anything, who portray themselves as hard done by and a victim more often than not. I'm certainly yet to meet anyone who uses weed and is self motivated and a go getter.
Not familiar with Joe Rogan?

Pot smoking to the extent of wake n bake is like alcoholism. It's a huge problem for anyone, especially an elite athlete. Throw in Willie having an IQ that would rival Forrest Gump and he's going to struggle to have a lengthy AFL career. But I wouldn't say he's lazy or unmotivated.

The discipline I'd guess he can only learn in a rehab facility, and the success rates of those is really poor.

Any which way you spin this, this is the crux it:

Willie cares more about himself and his weed, then he does the club, the supporters and his family for that matter

He wasn't thinking about the club when he got caught on the eve of finals and arguably derailed our season

He wasn't thinking about his supporters who backed him in despite facing down a penalty of four years

And he mustn't have been thinking of the young family he has to support by yet again potentially losing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars to take a few hits from the bong

Why are we being team players and supporting this guy when he is continuing to indulge himself? It's gross selfishness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What salary do we think he's on? Like originally/prior to other suspensions? I think he can/should stay but maybe he goes back to minimum salary aka the standard for a first year player and we take his surplus and offer it to a plan b given we don't know how he will end up. Do we think he could have been on like a $300000-500000 a season? I would take that and throw it plus what ever else we have left at Shai Bolton (hopefully doesn't end up having his own issues) as that plan B. Might not be enough $$$ but could be a positive out of the situation. He is a similar crafty small fwd who can play the guts and has that natural ability. If Willie stays clean and plays well he can start to earn the $$$ back as each year rolls on and we lose older players to retirement and get more $$$ back in cap.

Don't think our players would be aggrieved to that situation after being told we wouldn't spend big $$$ on going after a player after they took cuts as its a slightly different situation.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Willie penalised the team for 2 years because of his own stupidity.

He needs to prove that he is more than just a good small forward at this point - he needs to be a good small forward AND show that he can stay off the drugs by undergoing club testing/ rehab. If he can do that then fine, play him. Otherwise we'll invest time in someone who can kick goals and pass a drug test on the same day.

Agree but keeping him on the list is saying we have faith. Either delist him or play him when he is available. Suspending him further doesn't achieve anything in my opinion.

Any which way you spin this, this is the crux it:

Willie cares more about himself and his weed, then he does the club, the supporters and his family for that matter

He wasn't thinking about the club when he got caught on the eve of finals and arguably derailed our season

He wasn't thinking about his supporters who backed him in despite facing down a penalty of four years

And he mustn't have been thinking of the young family he has to support by yet again potentially losing out on hundreds of thousands of dollars to take a few hits from the bong

Why are we being team players and supporting this guy when he is continuing to indulge himself? It's gross selfishness

Based on that the decision would be delist.

Pretty sure if the club accepts him back whatever his current contract is will have more amendments to it than the American Constitution.
And so it should.

Bottom line is, IF the club is prepared to give him ANOTHER chance then he will need to agree to get off the hooch and submit to regular drug testing.
Finally the player group should at least be asked their thoughts, individually and as a group.

Just too much god given talent to waste or even worse lose to another club.

Agree but keeping him on the list is saying we have faith. Either delist him or play him when he is available. Suspending him further doesn't achieve anything in my opinion.
It's tricky, because I've seen this at clubs and I know the way younger players think. There are young guys every weekend being offered pot, pills or other surrounded by or visiting mates, at parties etc, we all know the realities of being young. It only takes the wrong impression and a few beers for 1 or two young boys to go; "Well if it's good enough for Willie". Then the planning and deception starts on how they're going to get away with it. It's a slippery slope and this is more on the edge than you think. It's recidivist and repeated, that's trouble.

Last edited:
If he was in Perth and around the club he may well have been able to kick the addiction but left by himself surrounded by family and friends who probably, and I mean no disrespect, think more of the now and today rather than the tomorrow and future, I think there was not a lot of help to get off the weed.

Having been a heavy user for many years, many years morning noon and night night night, I can attest it is a very hard habit/addiction to break. I have smoked cigarettes and quit but pot was harder.
It took me over a month to finally sleep properly and finally get it out of my head. I really don't think he can break the habit/addiction where he is and really needs a couple of months down here with people willing to help him and keep an eye on him, if he is serious about playing AFL ever again.

I think the right approach by the club would be to say he won't be playing this year but will be training and preparing for next season and put it on him to smarten up, give up the weed and get serious. ONE MORE incident and you will be sacked.

Username to past habit correlation high

Remove this Banner Ad

Back