News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone think if he gets a 4 yr ban ,that Wce will resign Willie when his current contract expires ??

Not even sure they would wait until 2022 when his contract is up.

Similar to the Cousins saga, there would be provisions in his contract that would allow for termination in a situation like this.

Could be something as broad as "bringing the game in to disrepute".

More than two years and Willie will no longer be an Eagle.

Similar to the Cousins saga, there would be provisions in his contract that would allow for termination in a situation like this.

This.

Pretty sure WC will chop him if he get's 4 years.

I'm still hoping for 2 years or less but can't see it.

I'm not so sure. The eagles seem to have changed their stance on player welfare since the cousins situation.
They kept Murry Newman on the list all throughout his prison stint. I think they'll rookie list him if he get a large suspension and access him when he returns.

I'm not so sure. The eagles seem to have changed their stance on player welfare since the cousins situation.
They kept Murry Newman on the list all throughout his prison stint. I think they'll rookie list him if he get a large suspension and access him when he returns.

That'd be 500K per year for a player who can not play and is suspended for 4 years. I may be wrong, but putting him on the rookie list does not alter his salary. That's essentially throwing 2 million dollars down the drain and a list spot. Can't see any club doing that.

Keep in mind we are talking about the worst case scenario if he gets 4 years.

If he gets 2 years or less I think the club will keep him.

Last edited:
We can only keep him on the rookie list for two years though I think.

This.

Pretty sure WC will chop him if he get's 4 years.

I'm still hoping for 2 years or less but can't see it.

Could we 'stretch' his contract.

Say he is on $350k for another 3 year. If we were to cancel his contract I assume we have to agree to a payout.

Potentially extend his contract for an additional 2 years, same total sum, obviously less per year. We free up some cash in our cap, and I guess take advantage of the entire situation by signing him on for what ever would be considered under?.

Say he is on $350k for another 3 year. If we were to cancel his contract I assume we have to agree to a payout.

Potentially extend his contract for an additional 2 years, same total sum, obviously less per year. We free up some cash in our cap, and I guess take advantage of the entire situation by signing him on for what ever would be considered under?.
I would think he has breached his contract with this circus and he would not be entitled to any payment if they let him go, not saying they will do that but that it would be legal if they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Newman was sentenced to 12 months and was up for parole after 6.

That's a huge difference between 6 months and 4 years.

Not sure if there would be a payout to Willie as he breached the terms of his contract.

I'm not sure but maybe we could terminate his current contract and place on a rookie
contract for a year.

If we do de-list him can the club support him outside of the cap?

For example, could the club hire him a dietician/personal trainer or even straight up pay him a wage if it was under the guise of NT ambassador or marketing something something?

I suppose i'm wondering if anything even football adjacent falls under one of the caps or is there some room to play?

The way I see it, we've got tens of millions of dollars gathering interest and not much else. We might as well spend a penny, support Willie in the short term and hopefully benefit in the future.

For example, could the club hire him a dietician/personal trainer or even straight up pay him a wage if it was under the guise of NT ambassador or marketing something something?

I suppose i'm wondering if anything even football adjacent falls under one of the caps or is there some room to play?

The way I see it, we've got tens of millions of dollars gathering interest and not much else. We might as well spend a penny, support Willie in the short term and hopefully benefit in the future.
Not sure if the club could employ him in an official capacity whilst banned. He certainly can't visit the club, headquarters or games.

That said, obviously he could serve out his current contract, so there is at least some evidence that he can be paid by the club (albeit not serving any official duties).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was thinking about this weeks ago and wondered if we could channel support to him via the wirra foundation

Just need to ensure his life stays on track. Serious reputational risk to the Club if he turns into a Cousins/Yarran, for example, as unlikely as that might be

IMO, this get's blown way out of proportion.

Hawthorn didn't receive any bad press after recruiting Dayle Garlett nor Carlton/Richmond with Chris Yarran.

WC is extremely risk adverse at the best of times, which is why we missed out on Stack and Pickett (IMO).
Sure we can offer him support, and so we should.

But people on here suggesting we keep paying him even if he get's banned for 4 years, find him another job, ASADA
is out to get us, he made a silly mistake is mostly crap.

I imagine there would be a huge difference of opinion if he played for Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back