News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not playing next year, I think that's the absolute minimum. Even just the time it takes to get things heard will wipe out a lot of the year.

18 months will put him in line for the start of the 2021 season, and he'll be allowed to train before the ban ends as Sam Murray was. That's best case scenario in my book. So in that sense 12 and 18 months are the same penalty effectively, both put him at a 2021 return, although it depends when the sentence is handed down. The latter the better for his training prospects, although not knowing the penalty would be very frustrating.

Yep! 18 months backdated to when he was suspended would be the best outcome. Can't see him playing in 2020 at all. Any longer than that I'd be concerned for his future and his place on the list.

It did remind me of another case which might be a precedent for Rioli

Irish Swimmer who tampered with her urine sample by pouring alcohol into it, she got a 4 year ban

Yeah, I actually remember that from the time.

de Bruin was banned because her actions were to intentionally try to obfuscate PED's. Willie was just stupid.

I think it rests on the ability of QC representing Willie to convince the tribunal that Willie was not acting with the intention to cheat.

He's not playing next year, I think that's the absolute minimum. Even just the time it takes to get things heard will wipe out a lot of the year.

18 months will put him in line for the start of the 2021 season, and he'll be allowed to train before the ban ends as Sam Murray was. That's best case scenario in my book. So in that sense 12 and 18 months are the same penalty effectively, both put him at a 2021 return, although it depends when the sentence is handed down. The latter the better for his training prospects, although not knowing the penalty would be very frustrating.

That doesn't sound like its factoring any AFL "quirks" that could see him back sooner than expected.

That doesn't sound like its factoring any AFL "quirks" that could see him back sooner than expected.
Look, if it was an AFL only matter there'd be all sorts of weird discounts and reductions. Like when poor old Jaidyn bet on things he could - and quite probably did- influence, and managed to get back in the same season.

But there's bigger puppet masters above the AFL in this sort of case.

Look, if it was an AFL only matter there'd be all sorts of weird discounts and reductions. Like when poor old Jaidyn bet on things he could - and quite probably did- influence, and managed to get back in the same season.

Bigger puppet masters above the AFL in the Stevenson one too. Ladbrokes, TAB, Crown bet etc...

Yeah was tongue in cheek. However have faith Quinz my "joke" was more about after the AFL give the punishment and ASADA begrudgingly accept (as no doubt the AFL will try and find the minimum that ASADA will consider acceptable without appealing) that the AFL will come in with "As his suspension started on a Thursday and it was the first full moon of the pagan year that fell on a Thursday...he can be back training with his team 6 months before his suspension ends".

:thumbsu:

Has anybody heard if Willie is coming back to Perth this month to train with the squad?

He is still eligible to train at the club whilst his suspension is provisional.

I haven't heard anything. A poster on here said there was a deleted IG post about hating bumpy flights. Given the timing maybe he has made his way back to Perth.

He has been training pretty hard with Cyril and St Mary's in Darwin which is a good sign.

Dare I say if he does pre-season with the club he won't jump in straight off the bat on day 1 due to media. He might quietly return to the club on day 2 or 3. \

Just my thoughts.

This is how the top of the WADA system 'works'. Regardless of Sun Yang's liability for PED doping, this stuff is farcical - athlete's lives are being decided on in this system, which doesn't even meet the standards of a magistrate's court.

I still can't get over that a guy who waited so long to get on an AFL list may have (literally) pissed away his career, all for some damn weed smoke 🤭

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is how the top of the WADA system 'works'. Regardless of Sun Yang's liability for PED doping, this stuff is farcical - athlete's lives are being decided on in this system, which doesn't even meet the standards of a magistrate's court.

Does read quite farcical but as much as it all looks rather incompetent it seems to me that Sun Yang and his hangers on are at least partly responsible for that and one could argue significantly so

For example the translator chosen by Yang wasn’t translating properly and had to be replaced

I still can't get over that a guy who waited so long to get on an AFL list may have (literally) pissed away his career, all for some damn weed smoke 🤭

He didn’t wait that long as he’d virtually given up on a AFL career but after a few years , Willie decided to move to SA and have another try ..
It’s different to say a Priddis who had whacked away year after year trying to impress a AFL team..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not Rioli related per se, but there seems to be a push from AFL to reduce penalties for illicit drug use.

Not Rioli related per se, but there seems to be a push from AFL to reduce penalties for illicit drug use.

At least there seems to be an overall consensus that it shouldn't ruin careers. The latest changes (even if not applicable to 2021 or directly related to what he did), can't hurt. The overall consensus (assuming that this was all pot related, one way or another and he can show that) is hopefully that no one wants to ruin his career. I am guessing (on absolutely nothing) 18 months. Seems a sweet spot. 12 if lucky. Anything above 18 months is close to career ending.

I still think 6-9 months is the sweetspot for what he has done. Its pot and he panicked. To miss out on a semi final and half of 2020 is more than a sufficient penalty. You have to wonder at ASADA's agenda if they really push hard for a penalty beyond that.

Last edited:
I still think 6-9 months is the sweetspot for what he has done. Its pot and he panicked. To miss out on a semi final and half of 2020 is more than a sufficient penalty. You have to wonder ASADA's penalty if they really push hard for a penalty beyond that.

It's pretty unlikely to be heard before March, so 6-months would essentially mean he serves no penalty (other than trial by media) - as when it is provisional he can still train etc.

I can't see how they give him less than 12-months to serve (i.e. 12 months then plus any additional suspended sentence) - it wouldn't sit right with their policies, and a ban for a whole season would be about-right on weighting.

Best case I think would be something like 24 months, with 12 suspended sentence. 18 down to 12 would be amazing but unlikely. 24 down to 18 is probably the most likely though.

I still think 6-9 months is the sweetspot for what he has done. Its pot and he panicked. To miss out on a semi final and half of 2020 is more than a sufficient penalty. You have to wonder at ASADA's agenda if they really push hard for a penalty beyond that.

I think it's wrong to suggest his offence was smoking pot.

He will go up for tampering with his sample. It's a completely different kettle of fish to a pot positive.

I think it's wrong to suggest his offence was smoking pot.

He will go up for tampering with his sample. It's a completely different kettle of fish to a pot positive.
If it was just the positive test for pot he'd get a slap on the wrist. However it was also clear the tampering was to avoid getting a positive test for cannabis, not to avoid a PED charge. 9 months for that would mean he still misses half of next year and thats about right imo.

If it was just the positive test for pot he'd get a slap on the wrist. But it was clear the tampering was to avoid getting a positive test for cannabis, not to avoid a PED charge. 9 months for that would mean he still misses half of next year and thats about right imo.
He won’t be playing footy in 2020 at all at the very least and that’s fair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back