News Willie Rioli - Provisionally Suspended

Tugga27

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Perhaps my point was not clear. You are assuming Willie was not obscuring PED use by tampering with his sample. ASADA are not going to make that assumption. They will treat him as if he was attempting to obscure PED use.

I don't believe he was obscuring PED use but acknowledge that is my own value judgement. The system is going to have to treat him as if he were obscuring PED use or the whole WADA framework is undermined. More information might come out through the process which changes or influences how things should be examined but that remains to be seen.
Why do they have to treat him as trying to obscure anything?

Can't he just get done for tampering regardless?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Level_Headed

Senior List
Jan 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

As much as I hate to use news.com.au as any kind of sense check... Apparently WADA pushing for a 2 - 8 year ban for Sun. Given the charge is also tampering and he has a prior conviction you would think that they would accept something around 2 years for Willie.

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

As much as I hate to use news.com.au as any kind of sense check... Apparently WADA pushing for a 2 - 8 year ban for Sun. Given the charge is also tampering and he has a prior conviction you would think that they would accept something around 2 years for Willie.
Worst case in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eastern Rangers

2015 Worsfold Medalist - Rowen Powell
Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Just need to ensure his life stays on track. Serious reputational risk to the Club if he turns into a Cousins/Yarran, for example, as unlikely as that might be
Alright uncle joe. It’s just weed, unprofessional and against WADA regs sure but he’s not got behavioural issues like those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FKASC

Account Deleted
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Alright uncle joe. It’s just weed, unprofessional and against WADA regs sure but he’s not got behavioural issues like those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah I meant more like getting lost/depressed without football in his life and something bad happening. He’s obviously nothing like them behaviourally but things could spiral out of control if he’s left unsupported in financial difficulty with a family to feed, etc.

Just reckon the club should at least keep an eye on things

Chris_6678

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah I meant more like getting lost/depressed without football in his life and something bad happening. He’s obviously nothing like them behaviourally but things could spiral out of control if he’s left unsupported in financial difficulty with a family to feed, etc.

Just reckon the club should at least keep an eye on things
With Bateman ( And ex Eagle Jamie Bennel) up there helping him train i think they are definitely keeping an eye on things.

shooshka

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Well hopefully he has a massive pre season then gets a small (under 12 months) suspension and can be right for the start of next year pre season.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
If he gets less than 12 months I expect we would see him play in 2020 (unless this list completely craps the bed).

We should get to 2nd week of finals at least (even that would be a disappointment) so Willie would be available. Anything under 12 months obviously only brings that date forward.

I still think it will be 18 months fwiw

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Top Bottom