News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond play a distinct different game style as us but I believe (barring a team over the off season beating us at our own precise kicking game) we're the only team who can beat them. If we s**t the bed next year the Tigers will go back to back with relative ease imo.

Agreed. Keep possession and don't turn the ball over in bad areas or before our defense is set up and we beat the Tigers.

We also need to get a week or two off in finals month to freshen up as well don't get 10 out of the last 11 games playing at home.

I don't think Willie will get 4 years though. Anything more that 6 months is harsh.

If he got 4 years there would be massive pressure on the AFL to forego Govt funding and dump ASADA and WADA and do it all in-house.

The AFL won't do that for Rioli. Maybe if it was a marquee player at a big Melbourne club they would rattle the saber but not for the Eagles.

End of the day Willie made multiple bad decisions and will have to live with the consequences.

18 months would be the dead set minimum. And we would take that and move on.

I don't think Willie will get 4 years though. Anything more that 6 months is harsh.

If he got 4 years there would be massive pressure on the AFL to forego Govt funding and dump ASADA and WADA and do it all in-house.

I dare say you are going to be unpleasantly surprised.

He'll get at least 12 months, but I would even go so far as to say at least 18 months (if the max 4 year term is based on wiping a player out of the Olympics, then I don't see how they allow Willie to compete again without banning him for at least 1 full season).

Sadly, it has the potential to be much much more than that.

End of the day Willie made multiple bad decisions and will have to live with the consequences.

18 months would be the dead set minimum. And we would take that and move on.

Absolutely spot on. There should be no complaining or excuses from Eagles fans either.

Willie has no one to blame but himself.

If it's true he was asked for a sample and poured Gatorade in the sample so he didn't have to give anything then that is worst case scenario as he could have had tested positive for the worst possible thing then.

If it was to conceal marijuana use it's absolute stupidity and maybe a lack of education given to him?

Those that reckon Willie will get or deserves 6 months are living in las las land I think.
It's been proven he's not a drug cheat. If WADA or whoever are handling give more than 12 months then they're lacking credibility. They could make an example of him but the cold hard facts are he's not a drug cheat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two years would be harsh. Wouldn't fit the "crime" / stupidity that occurred. Anywhere between 6 months to a year would be more appropriate/reconcilable.

The issue really is that ASADA cant let him off with a slap on the wrist because real drug cheats will use this as a way to get off. Then again he was target tested and never showed any performancing enhancing results.

The crime is trying to cheat a test.

The issue really is that ASADA cant let him off with a slap on the wrist because real drug cheats will use this as a way to get off. Then again he was target tested and never showed any performancing enhancing results.

The crime is trying to cheat a test.

It's 2 crimes.

Trying to cheat the test and then testing positive a few weeks later.

Anyone thinking Willie will get less than 18 months for trying to cheat a drug test by masking a banned substance is on something a lot stronger than the pot Willie smokes.

They have to consider the broader ramifications. If all he cops is 6 months then every drug cheat will be stocking up on Gatorade for when ASADA comes knocking.

Yes it sucks for Willie that smoking pot has led to this. But it's his own dumb fault. He knew the consequences, it's drummed into these players all the time. And I'm sure given the club's history, Eagles players cop more lectures than most clubs.

I'm expecting 18 months to two years. Honestly won't be surprised if it's longer given the broader ramifications.

Anyone thinking Willie will get less than 18 months for trying to cheat a drug test by masking a banned substance is on something a lot stronger than the pot Willie smokes.

They have to consider the broader ramifications. If all he cops is 6 months then every drug cheat will be stocking up on Gatorade for when ASADA comes knocking.

Yes it sucks for Willie that smoking pot has led to this. But it's his own dumb fault. He knew the consequences, it's drummed into these players all the time. And I'm sure given the club's history, Eagles players cop more lectures than most clubs.

I'm expecting 18 months to two years. Honestly won't be surprised if it's longer given the broader ramifications.
Agreed.

If it’s less than 18 months then ASADA would appeal and rightly so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back