News Willie Rioli - Provisionally Suspended

tigger_ferret

Club Legend
Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
His intent and what was in his system is irrelevant.

He stepped outside the process laid out to him by the drug testing officials, therefore he's classed as trying to cheat the test.

Not an overly hard concept to understand.
Again a pretty black and white interpretation of things.

You can break the rules without cheating in my opinion. If you’re in an exam and you start talking footy to the guy sitting next to you. That is breaking the rules not cheating. Taking in notes to a closed book exam I would call cheating. They are quite different and often have different punishments.

I think a lot of people believe it is ASADA’s responsibility is to stop cheating, rather than ban a player for what was a dumb mistake and breaking the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

You can break the rules without cheating in my opinion. If you’re in an exam and you start talking footy to the guy sitting next to you. That is breaking the rules not cheating. Taking in notes to a closed book exam I would call cheating. They are quite different and often have different punishments.

I think a lot of people believe it is ASADA’s responsibility is to stop cheating, rather than ban a player for what was a dumb mistake and breaking the rules.
Your example is 2 different things. Rioli is more like taking notes into a closed book exam, then saying the notes will not help in the exam. You arent allowed to take notes in, how much the notes help is much less a consideration. He tried to cheat a test, that it wouldn't have helped his performance if he had succeeded isnt a great defence.

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
The first test was midweek. They don't test for party drugs then. The second test was match day. They DO test for party drugs then.
If they don't test for party drugs during the week then how could any player possibly get a strike? They do test for party drugs during the week but they don't have any penalty for it. They would inform the AFL who could then issue a strike to the player.

Matera92

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Bulls, East Freo, Las Vegas Bears

Have you ever taken a piss test that your career depends on?

tigger_ferret

Club Legend
Jan 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Your example is 2 different things. Rioli is more like taking notes into a closed book exam, then saying the notes will not help in the exam. You arent allowed to take notes in, how much the notes help is much less a consideration. He tried to cheat a test, that it wouldn't have helped his performance if he had succeeded isnt a great defence.
The accuracy of the example is not really the point I was trying to make. More that you can do something against the rules and not be a cheat.

I took exception that a few posters said he took a prohibited drug and was therefore a drug cheat. I just don’t think it is that simple.

ZergMinion

Premiership Player
Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
If they don't test for party drugs during the week then how could any player possibly get a strike? They do test for party drugs during the week but they don't have any penalty for it. They would inform the AFL who could then issue a strike to the player.
It's a good point. Maybe it's that they don't apply ASADA penalties for party drugs during the week, or maybe it's that the AFL runs its own tests for drug strikes. Anyone know which one?

kane249

Oh snap
Oct 27, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sth Freo, Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
It's a good point. Maybe it's that they don't apply ASADA penalties for party drugs during the week, or maybe it's that the AFL runs its own tests for drug strikes. Anyone know which one?
Could just be the findings of the test from ASADA are shared with the AFL who can then act on any illicit drugs found?

Trav22

Senior List
Oct 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The bit that gets me is if willie tampered with the test (knowing he was going to fail)
Then sat another test 2 weeks later and actually failed, wouldn’t you put down the pot and detox your ass off for the next two weeks.
he is obviously smoking quiet frequently to still test positive two weeks later.
must not value his job too highly.

I’m not trying to put the bloke down, I wish all the best for him. Just though you would act a bit more professional being a paid Athlete.

Seadog

Premiership Player
Sep 16, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
The bit that gets me is if willie tampered with the test (knowing he was going to fail)
Then sat another test 2 weeks later and actually failed, wouldn’t you put down the pot and detox your ass off for the next two weeks.
he is obviously smoking quiet frequently to still test positive two weeks later.
must not value his job too highly.

I’m not trying to put the bloke down, I wish all the best for him. Just though you would act a bit more professional being a paid Athlete.
Yeah whatever, he did what he did and he'll get what he gets, all the moralizing and hand wringing won't change anything.

TY24

Little Nic’s Big Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Glory, Wildcats
I'll weigh in on this again.

The 4 year suspensions will be reserved for someone who deliberately and methodically plans to deceive officials and mask a PED to gain an unfair advantage over their opponents.

The kid who panicked after not being able to produce a sample and used Gatorade because he couldn't take a leak and was trying to hide a joint he had during the week will not cop a full 4 year suspension.

18-24 months tops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom