News Willie Rioli - Provisionally Suspended

HoneyBadger35

Friends, Family, Flex
Aug 11, 2011
Gaffy's Dojo
AFL Club
West Coast
Has Willie gone on record and said that though? I cannot find any evidence of him making a statement

I find it completely reasonable to foresee that the AFL, the club and Rioli were notified today, in an official capacity

But I have a very hard time believing that unofficially, Willie had no idea he might have been in trouble after the test
Ah I see. No Willie hasn’t said anything.

Officially from every source is that Willie, club, AFL all told yesterday, but I see what you’re saying.

Find that hard to believe tbh, but then again this whole thing is very hard to get a read on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Avalor

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
This is actually really confusing.

Who's to say the sample wasnt tampered with after the test by someone else?

Ffs this ruined my bloody day.

This is gonna deflate the playing group and has given the cats an advantage
I don't know about the playing group, but I am completely deflated. Haven't felt so flat for a long time. I think the task will be beyond us now without Willie.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
As best I can figure is there was something in the sample that shouldn’t have been there and wasn’t urine

An investigation has to be done to determine why/how that happened and protocol dictates Rioli can’t play whilst that investigation is conducted

Might explain why there’s a lack of detail beyond “adverse analytical finding “ as ASADA themselves don’t know how but are bound by their own rules to impose an immediate and indefinite ban
This seems like the most likely scenario at the moment, however it does raise the question around whether this protocol is working as intended . Do we really want ASADA having the ability suspend players in teams during the finals the second an administrative error occurs?

If Rioli is found guilty of wrongdoing then there will be no harm. If he is found innocent I will be most pleased, but it does create a whole new issue...

LawrenceJameson

Debutant
Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Lots to play out here still. Fox Footy, Robinson, Montagna, Lewis, Cornes casting doubt on the ASADA testing process.

Rioli will have a case for Damages, Negligence, Defamation if the testing was void as suggested.

If West Coast lose Geelong narrowly, West Coast will also have a case against ASADA/AFL .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Lots to play out here still. Fox Footy, Robinson, Montagna, Lewis, Cornes casting doubt on the ASADA testing process.

Rioli will have a case for Damages, Negligence, Defamation if the testing was void as suggested.

If West Coast lose Geelong narrowly, West Coast will also have a case against ASADA/AFL .

Yeah part of me hopes it is, but then he would've gone through all this crap.

Not getting my hopes up though.

BigBirdz

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

Na I'm pretty sure ASADA work with immunity in all their cases. Can't take any action against them.

greatwhiteshark

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I don't know about the playing group, but I am completely deflated. Haven't felt so flat for a long time. I think the task will be beyond us now without Willie.
Cmon mate, one player doesn’t make a side. Good sides move forward. Rioli stuffed up, the players will move on with things quickly.
I certainly won’t be using this as any type of excuse for a poor performance tomorrow. Pro athletes needs to be pros and get on with the job they are paid to do, and I fully expect them to.

InTheWings

Premium Gold
Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
on 6PR Karl Langdon said in his playing days he was once asked to down 5 stubbies of beer before giving a sample - so as to get a flow, as he was dehydrated and the time.

Maybe Willie was given permission to drink some gatorade and accidentally spilt it into the cup?

RookiePick

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
ASADA will have zero interest in the truth if it is unfavourable to their operations.

As an oversight body they dare not concede any weaknesses in their processes.

I think Willie is getting a long holiday one way or another.

TOA.

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The only thing that could make sense is if he had powerade in his mouth/saliva and he spat into the cup, either intentionally or not. Or he was left unsupervised and poured it in.

Top Bottom