News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always found Duffield one the best and most reasonable sports journalists in the country, takes the soft approach, always checks his sources, and very knowledgable about WA footy. I haven't read him in a while, maybe he's changed but 18 months isn't the worst result all things considered
Yep, agreed. Measured, well researched and insightful.
Yes but I believe that wasn't confirmed before they released this headline.

Duffield is a campaigner !
1 - Go back and look at your own link - the article is by Bridget Lacy and Craig O'Donoghue
2 - Journos don't write headlines, especially not front page ones. Editors and sub-editors do.

There is enough bullshit out there without looking for vendettas that don't exist.

Is he allowed to train at the club?
Think he will blow up if left on his own.
I mean he got fat during the short time he was injured this year.
So 18mths on the sidelines could mean another 12 mths getting back into shape.

Get him a personal trainer and diet plan to keep him in check

Get him a personal trainer and diet plan to keep him in check

I said to a mate last night, we should get him back down here and join up with a PT. There are a number of ex Eagles that are PT’s now, they would know what is required to keep him in shape for the top level.

As much as I despise athletes doing this, Willie's best defense may be to claim mental health issues that impaired his judgement; he's been having bad thoughts, his kid's been sick, missing family back home, struggling with public profile etc. Make it political, get someone like Noel Pearson on board.

As much as I despise athletes doing this, Willie's best defense may be to claim mental health issues that impaired his judgement; he's been having bad thoughts, his kid's been sick, missing family back home, struggling with public profile etc. Make it political, get someone like Noel Pearson on board.

He may as well blame it on being indigenous.

Worst idea ever.

No offence or anything personal but we should not go down this path.

Image result for wtf gif

He may as well blame it on being indigenous.

I do wonder how much will be made of this. Not Willie being Indigenous, but the fact that he is from a remote community, probably didn't go through the normal channels for elite footballers where they get exposed to all the information about athlete responsibilities etc, and that formed the basis of his decision making during his panic. i.e "He didn't know the consequences of his actions, so therefore couldn't make a decision at that time knowing it was a doping violation". Not to get him off the charge, but to provide mitigating circumstances to reduce the infraction from intentional (max 4 years) to not intentional (max 2 years).

The reality is that 10% of our league is Indigenous and they are all capable of following ASADA/illicit drugs protocols. In fact, the Indigenous footballers are generally the ones that keep their hands clean more often than the non-Indigenous ones. I can't think of too many scandals that involve our leagues Indigenous players

Disclaimer: Not that it matters, but I am also an Indigenous guy and would probably feel extremely uncomfortable with the above defence. There is a whiff of "He's an Indigenous lad who obviously doesn't know any better" about it.

You can already see some of it taking form in Simmo's post match presser after the Geelong match. "He's a gentle soul, young Indigenous lad from the Tiwi Islands" etc..

EDIT: I see the above as forming more part of WCE/AFL review of "how the * did this happen" and probably eventuating in changes to club protocols around having someone present during tests/how ASADA briefings and club education sessions are delivered more than part of Willie's defence.

Last edited:
I don't like it either, but this isn't about the truth, it's about playing the system.

No it isn't. It is about ensuring Willie has a fair hearing and supporting him while he is going through a process that must be terrifying.

We should mount a defence that is based in reason and logic. We need to be above the fray on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I question your numeracy and study of history.

Recall his juvenial comments as far back as when he lost out to Simmo as the eagles coach. He is a clown of the highest order.

His media comments may be a little off but that doesn’t affect the way he coaches and the efforts that the boys put into to make his game plan work ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I do wonder how much will be made of this. Not Willie being Indigenous, but the fact that he is from a remote community, probably didn't go through the normal channels for elite footballers where they get exposed to all the information about athlete responsibilities etc, and that formed the basis of his decision making during his panic. i.e "He didn't know the consequences of his actions, so therefore couldn't make a decision at that time knowing it was a doping violation". Not to get him off the charge, but to provide mitigating circumstances to reduce the infraction from intentional (max 4 years) to not intentional (max 2 years).

The reality is that 10% of our league is Indigenous and they are all capable of following ASADA/illicit drugs protocols. In fact, the Indigenous footballers are generally the ones that keep their hands clean more often than the non-Indigenous ones. I can't think of too many scandals that involve our leagues Indigenous players

Disclaimer: Not that it matters, but I am also an Indigenous guy and would probably feel extremely uncomfortable with the above defence. There is a whiff of "He's an Indigenous lad who obviously doesn't know any better" about it.

You can already see some of it taking form in Simmo's post match presser after the Geelong match. "He's a gentle soul, young Indigenous lad from the Tiwi Islands" etc..

EDIT: I see the above as forming more part of WCE/AFL review of "how the fu** did this happen" and probably eventuating in changes to club protocols around having someone present during tests/how ASADA briefings and club education sessions are delivered more than part of Willie's defence.

It was very much a tongue in cheek response but I appreciate your response on it.

His media comments may be a little off but that doesn’t affect the way he coaches and the efforts that the boys put into to make his game plan work ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can only say again that corporations and corporate sponsors will not employ such a loose cannon as their public face. In the end such comments will also impact a team.

Without putting too fine a point on it - who sponsor a club to elevate their brands profile to have a clown with their logo on his shirt make inane comments on TV. Its obvious that Sumich hasnt worked this out

EDIT: I see the above as forming more part of WCE/AFL review of "how the fu** did this happen" and probably eventuating in changes to club protocols around having someone present during tests/how ASADA briefings and club education sessions are delivered more than part of Willie's defence.
The counter argument will be that he has bouncing around various pathways/semi professional leagues since his early to mid teens - he went to high school in Vic on a scholarship, then in the SANFL before being drafted three years ago. Really don't think that defence would stand up.

I would rather they suspend him for 2 years or something now than dribble along for 6 months waiting.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are provisions that allow for expedited hearings at the request of the defendant, however WCE/Willie have decided that isn't what it is best here. If I was in Willie's shoes, I would want it dealt with sooner rather than later. Dragging it on longer than is necessary is what would have an impact on my mental health and wellbeing.

Only benefit I see is if it goes on until March/April next year they can turn around and say he has already served a 6-7 month suspension through his provisional ban, so should get time served.

I said to a mate last night, we should get him back down here and join up with a PT. There are a number of ex Eagles that are PT’s now, they would know what is required to keep him in shape for the top level.
So now we know what "training the house down" will be doing next year.

Yep, agreed. Measured, well researched and insightful.

1 - Go back and look at your own link - the article is by Bridget Lacy and Craig O'Donoghue
2 - Journos don't write headlines, especially not front page ones. Editors and sub-editors do.

There is enough bulls**t out there without looking for vendettas that don't exist.
I still think Duffield would have had a say in how this went about regardless of the writer. They work as a team.

Anyway that's my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back