News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't is reported initially that Shuey was involved/aware/in the vicinity at the time?
There are just so many unknowns. Any one of the chaperone not seeing urine leave the body, another player in the room amd/or not requesting another sample when the specific gravity didn't match are theoretically against the collection policy.

That's a long way from him getting a reduced sentence, but still quite a few questions that ASADA need to answer.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Star Eagle Willie Rioli ‘frustrated’ as he waits to find out penalty for alleged urine substitution, positive cannabis test
Headshot of Jordan McArdle

Jordan McArdleThe West Australian
Sunday, 24 May 2020 4:00AM
Jordan McArdle
Willie Rioli still has no idea how long he’ll be banned for over his alleged urine substitution and positive cannabis test despite repeated inquiries from West Coast to the AFL and the players association.
The premiership forward was handed a provisional ban by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority in September last year for allegedly substituting his urine during a mid-week drug test on August 20.
“He’s in a reasonable space but very frustrated I think,” West Coast football manager Craig Vozzo said yesterday.

“He just wants this to end one way or another so he knows ‘this is the situation’ and can say ‘this is what I’m facing and I want to move on with my life’.”
Vozzo said the club had been asking regularly but still didn’t have any form of timeline which they expected to have had already.
“We don’t get a lot of notice,” Vozzo told ABC Grandstand.
“David Grace QC is handling it for us and he is constantly in contact with the leading authorities in regards to timeframe and requirements legally, but we still haven’t got a timeline to finalisation unfortunately.”
Rioli, 24, has played 38 games for the Eagles.
He has has been back home on the Tiwi Islands since February with his partner Lucy Campbell-Brogan.

Star forward Willie Rioli, who is facing a four-year ban from the game, has returned to training at the Eagles.
The couple welcomed their second child, Willie Rioli Jr III, in late March.
Coach Adam Simpson and star ruckman Nic Naitanui have been in contact with Rioli in recent weeks. Vozzo said it was clear Rioli just wanted to know his fate, one way or another.
“He goes up and down,” Vozzo said.
“He welcomed the arrival of his second son so that’s been a fantastic thing for him. He’s on the islands and Simmo spoke to him probably a week ago now. We’re trying to keep him engaged to the extent that we can.”
He faces a suspension of up to four years if found guilty over the urine-substitution allegation, with his positive test for cannabis on September 5 viewed as a less serious offence.
Vozzo urged the AFL to consider finding a more efficient way of keeping the sport clean from drugs, without the World Anti-Doping Agency’s “overlay”.
Fellow footballer Sam Murray was in a similar situation to Rioli in terms of delays.
The former Collingwood speedster had already served 12 months of his provisional suspension before his case and appeal were finished, meaning he had only a further six months left.
“I think it’s the WADA bit that really causes a portion of the delay,” Vozzo said.
“I think we’re really capable of setting up a system that achieves the same outcome, in terms of monitoring drugs and making sure they don’t creep into the sport and keeping it clean.”

Its a Employment rights issue. If I sent you home without pay pending a investigation into your email account, how would you be 8 months later when Ive done nothing and you are still at home doing nothing? Im pretty sure you could sue the s**t out of me and id lose the case for negligence
Do you know for a fact that Willie isn't getting paid?
I don't know for sure but would assume that he is.

And you don't know ASADA has done nothing.

Don't worry gaiz, David Grace QC is on the case.

Fresh off such big wins as :

- McGovern suspended for pushing Guelfi into a chair.
- Naitanui's tackle on Amon, after failing to calculate the weight.
- Jetta's sling tackle.
-The Gaff 8 week suspension
- Marsdens 4 match ban for biting Suban.

Don't forget the Essendon 34

- Jetta's sling tackle.
I often hear that losing with grace is a positive attribute in sport

- Jetta's sling tackle.
I can sense the sarcasm in picking out these cases, but I don't think we were getting any of those charges dropped. Gaff broke Brayshaw's jaw. Despite the context, Masten bit Suban. The MRP made sure Nic would have no defense and even came out publically; the case was pretty much decided in the media before the tribunal even convened. Jetta's tackle supposedly led to Smith leaving the ground in the 4th quarter. Those one-match charges for dangerous tackles and recklessness are almost impossible to overturn if the tackled player incurred any injuries.

It's a scuffed system that largely depends on result and not intent.

Both Naitanui and McGoverns cases could've been won IMO.

Big VIC club would've got the campaigners off. From memory I think our defence tactic from both was a bit bizarre.
Re: Nic's tackle, I must admit I can't recall Grace's exact defense, but Simpson was literally deconstructing Christian's BS reasoning in TV interviews. The sentiment in the football community was pretty clear that it should have been left at a free-kick, only that unfortunately the mild concussion mandated a penalty due to this broken system of interpretation.

I believe there was next to 0% chance of getting out of that charge, with the AFL being forced to back their newly instated one-man MRP, Michael Christian. What better team to take the fallout for the MRP's ineptitude than an interstate one that's on a winning streak?

Last edited:
4 weeks for biting was a reasonable result, Masten was lucky the victim wasn't, um how should I put it, nicer.

Re: Nic's tackle, I must admit I can't recall Grace's exact defense, but Simpson was literally deconstructing Christian's BS reasoning in TV interviews. The sentiment in the football community was pretty clear that it should have been left at a free-kick, only that unfortunately the mild concussion mandated a penalty due to this broken system of interpretation.

I believe there was next to 0% chance of getting out of that charge, with the AFL being forced to back their newly instated one-man MRP, Michael Christian. What better team to take the fallout for the MRP's ineptitude than an interstate one that's on a winning streak?
The whole premise for the case just seemed wrong. Christian kept blathering on about 'arms pinned' and they clearly weren't. Found this gif that Beutbrute took off of his TV and uploaded to the MRP thread.

nicnat.gif

The whole premise for the case just seemed wrong. Christian kept blathering on about 'arms pinned' and they clearly weren't. Found this gif that Beutbrute took off of his TV and uploaded to the MRP thread.

View attachment 880543

No arms pinned there, mateys. I think it was just the massive weight of Nik Nat rolling over that gave him mild concussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a Employment rights issue. If I sent you home without pay pending a investigation into your email account, how would you be 8 months later when Ive done nothing and you are still at home doing nothing? Im pretty sure you could sue the s**t out of me and id lose the case for negligence
If I sued the s**t out of you, that is a legal matter. That isnt what is happenng. He is getting paid, I think. He cannot play. The terms of contracts would stipulate the consequences of failing a drug test, so he isnt suing, not succesfully anyway.

And ps, the legal system is SLOOOOW, as well.

I have zero doubt that a couple of phone calls were made between opposition clubs, AFL headquarters and the judicary to arrive at that suspension. They had to create a whole new infringement just for Nic which is why they looked like absolute idiots trying to justify it. Nic had came off his knee reco monstering blokes like an NFL defensive line backer and someone wanted to curb that.

Nic had came off his knee reco monstering blokes like an NFL defensive line backer

He's taken some great marks and beat Norf and GWS, but that period was the most fun I've ever had watching Nic Nat.

Really hoping he can finish his career a premiership player.

Fraser Gehrig, while he was playing for us, once got off for punching an umpire because he was trying to hit another player. Whoever represented us for that one should have got a big bonus

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nathan Brown from the bullies from memory, Brown was sledging him and calling him a rapist

Willie Rioli is hopeful of securing a significant reduction on a four-year ban for a pair of ASADA breaches
Jon RalphHerald Sun
Tuesday, 26 May 2020 6:11PM

Willie Rioli is hopeful of having his drug ban cut.

Willie Rioli is hopeful of securing a significant reduction on a four-year ban for a pair of ASADA breaches. However, nine months after being caught, he is no closer to knowing where his case is at.
But while former ASADA boss Richard Ings says he could still likely secure a lesser penalty, a tampering charge is more serious than the cannabis use he may have tried to hide.
Rioli remains in the Tiwi Islands with his partner nine months on from the August 20 provisional suspension for urine substitution.

But the lengthy delay has handed him a significant silver lining as he continues to train with friends from official competitions.
While he is awaiting a decision from the AFL’s anti-doping tribunal he is able to be paid and train with friends who play for the Tiwi Bombers in the NTFL.
As much as he is determined to secure a resolution on his case, as soon as he accepts a suspension he is banned from training with any player from an official competition.
West Coast is still able to pay Rioli even if he is suspended, but those close to him worry about his welfare if he is suspended, unable to train with friends and away from the structure of his club.
Rioli has been officially interviewed and has explained the circumstances behind his adverse finding.
Only weeks later Rioli tested positive for a metabolite of cannabis in another ASADA test.
Ings told the Herald Sun he believed cannabis use detected in ASADA tests was not worthy of a penalty.
But he said the tampering charge was serious because in world sport there were many cases of tampering to cover up the use of performance-enhancing drugs.
“In the world of anti-doping a cannabis violation is a relatively minor matter compared to being found guilty of tampering. A guilty verdict for tampering regardless of the substance can be up to a four year ban from competition,” he said.
“I have long held the view that while cannabis use is a violation of the anti-doping code it should only carry a public warning and a sanction of weeks to a month or two at the most.”
In recent times AFL and VFL players have been able to accept reduced sentences including Sam Murray (18 months, cocaine), Sam Gilbert (two years, cocaine) and Brayden Crossley (12 months, cocaine).
MORE AFL
The Herald Sun revealed Rioli substituted an energy drink for a urine sample in his haste to get to training while with ASADA drug testers.
If a case is proved which finds he deliberately tampered with his sample he is liable to face a four-year mandatory ban.
His lawyer David Grace QC will attempt to downgrade a four-year ban and could argue mitigation given Rioli’s circumstances and attempt to prove he was not concealing a performance-enhancing substance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back