News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Well to be honest this is where the AFL are wrong, if ASADA take this long the AFL should allow players to continue to play until the hearing. This actually might speed up the process.
I think the athlete (or team) can request an exemption to the provisional suspension.

Obviously we have chosen not to, as the reality is he is guilty and it is just the severity and punishment that are up for discussion.

I assume if there was a case with major concerns about the guilt or not an exemption would be sought.

None of this changes the fact that a 12-month plus wait is ridiculous (noting that most athletes have a 10-year window of competition at best).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

leroyeagle

Team Captain
Sep 5, 2007
West
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Football Club
Such bitterness exudes from every pore in your body.

Absolutely pathetic.

Nisbett said the hearing will be after the season concludes.

Once there is a hearing, they need to come to a conclusion, inform the parties and then release the sanction.

Could be until Xmas.

What hyperbole, I'm not the least bit pathetic or bitter. Nisbett was quoted as "expecting" a hearing after the season ends. However, if past experience of the Afl hierarchy is anything to go by regarding our club, I really doubt it will be a favourable or swift result for Willie unfortunately.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Can someone
What hyperbole, I'm not the least bit pathetic or bitter. Nisbett was quoted as "expecting" a hearing after the season ends. However, if past experience of the Afl hierarchy is anything to go by regarding our club, I really doubt it will be a favourable or swift result for Willie unfortunately.

We need to drop all the stupid "Vicco bias" s**t.

There are legitimate instances where we are disadvantaged by being a Non-Victorian club.

The idea that the AFL is actively out to get us is ridiculous.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Can someone

We need to drop all the stupid "Vicco bias" sh*t.

There are legitimate instances where we are disadvantaged by being a Non-Victorian club.

The idea that the AFL is actively out to get us is ridiculous.
It gets tiresome.
One poster said were screwed by a cheating goal umpire in the review the other night.

If it's not Christian and the MRO, it's the tribunal.
Then there's Travis Auld screwing us with the fixtures and injuries.
Gill for the GF.
ASADA for Rioli.
It never ends.

It will never be an even playing field with the majority of teams and the media based in Melbourne, but really.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I'm OK with it being announced as, after the season, it means we don't have to fear any untimely announcements just before important games.
You know theyre waiting til we're in front at half time and boom it out on the speakers at the ground

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
It gets tiresome.
One poster said were screwed by a cheating goal umpire in the review the other night.

If it's not Christian and the MRO, it's the tribunal.
Then there's Travis Auld screwing us with the fixtures and injuries.
Gill for the GF.
ASADA for Rioli.
It never ends.

It will never be an even playing field with the majority of teams and the media based in Melbourne, but really.
I don't think the AFL is out to get us, but the lopsidedness of the competition is obvious.

The problem is that there appears to be no appetite to change anything:
Why does the GF have to be in Melbourne every year?
Why do the prevailing media, who set the national agenda, have to be based in Melbourne?
Why do all the commentary teams, have to come from Melbourne for every game?
Why do clubs like West Coast and Fremantle, the most travelled teams in the land, also have to play in one of (or sometimes both) Tasmania and Northern Territory?

The list goes on . . .

I will also note that these questions are rhetorical. I understand how it is justified by the AFL. I just don't understand why it is allowed to continue because "that's just the way it is".

There's no denying there is going to be a skewing to Victoria with so many clubs based there, but it really doesn't have to be as lopsided as it is in a national competition. The Melbourne clubs go through every season with AFL sanctioned concessions simply because they are from Melbourne. These concessions convert to advantages that convert to ladder positions at the end of the season.

Essentially, as noted earlier, there is no appetite to because there is no one raising these items as real concerns that effect fairness and the integrity of the game. Everyone knows this competition is not even and every year we just hand wave it away and are told just to get on with it, that it doesn't matter.

It does matter.

Last edited:

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
The vAFL is 100% biased :$. From the GF venue, fixture, media commentary - they hate and are scared of us and only tolerate the fact we prop up half their shithouse competition. I'd even go as far as saying that dickhead heading up the MRP succeeds or attempts to rub out our players more than any other team.
If you honestly believe all of that, I'm surprised you can get any enjoyment whatsoever out of the game.
Unless we win of course but you cannot win all of the time.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I don't think the AFL is out to get us, but the lopsidedness of the competition is obvious.

The problem is that there appears to be no appetite to change anything:
Why does the GF have to be in Melbourne every year?
Why do the prevailing media, who set the national agenda, have to be based in Melbourne?
Why do all the commentary teams, have to come from Melbourne for every game?
Why do clubs like West Coast and Fremantle, the most travelled teams in the land, also have to play in one of (or sometimes both) Tasmania and Northern Territory?

The list goes on . . .

I will also note that these questions are rhetorical. I understand how it is justified by the AFL. I just don't understand why it is allowed to continue because "that's just the way it is".

There's no denying there is going to be a skewing to Victoria with so many clubs based there, but it really doesn't have to be as lopsided as it is in a national competition. The Melbourne clubs go through every season with AFL sanctioned concessions simply because they are from Melbourne. These concessions convert to advantages that convert to ladder positions at the end of the season.

Essentially, as noted earlier, there is no appetite to because there is no one raising these items as real concerns that effect fairness and the integrity of the game. Everyone knows this competition is not even and every year we just hand wave it away and are told just to get on with it, that it doesn't matter.

It does matter.

When Nisbett and the club cares then we should care, the club and Nisbett are just another in a long line of puppets that do what they are told when they are told. Never hear a peep from them. So obviously no issue for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If it were Freo offering a heap of coin to prop up a struggling Vic club like North by hosting a game at Optus, does.everyone think the AFL would knock it back on the grounds of offering too big of an advantage to Freo?
I dont buy in to the "they are out to get us/WA/ interstate" narrative but the AFL will never ever do us a solid and in some cases like the North game will forgo the greater good to ensure we get no favours.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Nisbett is perceived to be the head of a very well run club that is both financially successful and successful on the field. What appetite would he have to rock the boat?

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
When Nisbett and the club cares then we should care, the club and Nisbett are just another in a long line of puppets that do what they are told when they are told. Never hear a peep from them. So obviously no issue for them.
That's true. WCE have their own reasons not to rock the boat. From the beginning they've known how lopsided the competition is. And as a professional and benchmark organisation, the Eagles will work with what they have and find a way to be successful.

Still does not mean the imbalance is fine.

Frankly, I don't think it is up to the clubs themselves to drive the change anyway. They will advocate for what is good for them and with the current clique of Melbourne based teams, discussion will never be equal.

It is the role of the AFL administration to legislate for a true and even competition. It is their role to ensure all clubs and teams are being treated under the same conditions, restrictions, marketing etc. It is up to the AFL to ensure a fixture that is as even as possible, weighing the advantages and disadvantages the fixture will have on each club and team. It should be placing the integrity in the competition first and foremost above everything.

However, because the AFL continues place profit as the main concern, and to dance in lock step with the Melbourne media, there is very little advocacy for a truly national competition. Those few who do call for change are seen as fringe, even a little bit kooky.

It is up to the fans of Australian football, then, to call out the AFL for the biased and skewed competition it is. Overtime, hopefully, enough fans even in Victoria will understand how much this league is compromised and begin to demand better from the AFL.

Last edited:

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yeah on the Vic Bias stuff they probably aren’t actively trying to directly disadvantage us. But there’s no way in hell theyll sign off on something that gives us even a slight leg up (North game at home which had no bearing on anything other than North missing out on money and the training in groups s**t as good examples).. while they’re happy to be lenient to the big Vic clubs which causes the lopsidedness.

Theyre not going to give Willie a 4 year ban just because he plays for WC but they’re sure as s**t not going to do him any favours. If it was Dusty or Danger do we think they’d try and sweep it under the rug? Of course they would. Would they have given the Vic clubs the opportunity to train in larger groups if the tables were turned? 100%. That’s where the “bias” exists.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Nisbett is perceived to be the head of a very well run club that is both financially successful and successful on the field. What appetite would he have to rock the boat?
This.

He and the club are lining their pockets win or lose.

100k members throwing their hard earned at him why would he risk anything

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah on the Vic Bias stuff they probably aren’t actively trying to directly disadvantage us. But there’s no way in hell theyll sign off on something that gives us even a slight leg up (North game at home which had no bearing on anything other than North missing out on money and the training in groups sh*t as good examples).. while they’re happy to be lenient to the big Vic clubs which causes the lopsidedness.

Theyre not going to give Willie a 4 year ban just because he plays for WC but they’re sure as sh*t not going to do him any favours. If it was Dusty or Danger do we think they’d try and sweep it under the rug? Of course they would. Would they have given the Vic clubs the opportunity to train in larger groups if the tables were turned? 100%. That’s where the “bias” exists.
Just like in politics, the media plays a huge part in the decisions made at AFL house. They are always going to err on the side of "what will play well in the media?".

Concessions for Melbourne based clubs plays well in the Melbourne based media. On the flip side, restrictions on non-Victorian clubs plays just as well.

Additionally, as one of the most successful clubs in the league and the biggest club outside Victoria, restrictions on WCE play even better.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Here’s my take on it...

The fact that WCE were ok to accept the provisional suspension indicates that they expect Willie to get significantly less than 4 years.

Alternatively they would have challenged the provisional suspension, and have him playing for us this year for as long as he can. A 4 year suspension would most likely signal the end of his WCE career. If West Coast expected a ban in that range, they would want his services now before the ban becomes official.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Here’s my take on it...

The fact that WCE were ok to accept the provisional suspension indicates that they expect Willie to get significantly less than 4 years.

Alternatively they would have challenged the provisional suspension, and have him playing for us this year for as long as he can. A 4 year suspension would most likely signal the end of his WCE career. If West Coast expected a ban in that range, they would want his services now before the ban becomes official.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
we need to remember that in matters of PED you are guilty until proven inocent and Willie didnt leave much in doubt.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
That's true. WCE have their own reasons not to rock the boat. From the beginning they've known how lopsided the competition is. And as a professional and benchmark organisation, the Eagles will work with what they have and find a way to be successful.

Still does not mean the imbalance is fine.

Frankly, I don't think it is up to the clubs themselves to drive the change anyway. They will advocate for what is good for them and with the current clique of Melbourne based teams, discussion will never be equal.

It is the role of the AFL administration to legislate for a true and even competition. It is their role to ensure all clubs and teams are being treated under the same conditions, restrictions, marketing etc. It is up to the AFL to ensure a fixture that is as even as possible, weighing the advantages and disadvantages the fixture will have on each club and team. It should be placing the integrity in the competition first and foremost above everything.

However, because the AFL continues place profit as the main concern, and to dance in lock step with the Melbourne media, there is very little advocacy for a truly national competition. Those few who do call for change are seen as fringe, even a little bit kooky.

It is up to the fans of Australian football, then, to call out the AFL for the biased and skewed competition it is. Overtime, hopefully, enough fans even in Victoria will understand how much this league is compromised and begin to demand better from the AFL.

Only way change can happen is to withdraw financial support, don’t attend games, don’t be a member. Money talks and while you keep handing it over they will continue to do it how they want. There is no other way.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
This.

He and the club are lining their pockets win or lose.

100k members throwing their hard earned at him why would he risk anything

All this says is that they have trained their members and supporters very well. Quite sad to be honest that the modern members and supporters just go with the flow.

Back