News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

All this says is that they have trained their members and supporters very well. Quite sad to be honest that the modern members and supporters just go with the flow.
The modern members? By and large it's the same campaigners who were there in the early 90's.

All this says is that they have trained their members and supporters very well. Quite sad to be honest that the modern members and supporters just go with the flow.

You're an idiot.

West Coast joined the VFL. A state league based in another state.

It was a choice borne out of pragmatism.

Never in our clubs history have we been a type to rock the boat.

It has nothing to do with "modern members" whatever the fukk that means.

Only way change can happen is to withdraw financial support, don’t attend games, don’t be a member. Money talks and while you keep handing it over they will continue to do it how they want. There is no other way.
Yeah definitely, the only way is to stop supporting but it’s just as hard to get this sort of thing off the ground when you see some of the people that support the AFL (Facebook comments should lead you in the right direction) and that’s why nothing has and will not ever change.

The people running the clubs are pretty happy with the money they’re raking in and the reasonable amount of success.. and the majority of the AFL community have blinkers on and only see the scores flash up on FB, throw in a snarky comment without any other relative info (oh hey, sounds like the channel 7 commentary team) and that’s the sport we’re following.

It’s not a conspiracy that they’re all sitting around in a conference room dreaming up ways to f*ck us over, but people are naive to think they don’t follow the “traffic” of their support and make little decisions based on that.

I’d love to see the results in an alternate universe in which our current setup was based in Vic and Richmond’s was based over here. I’d put a large amount of money on the results of the last 3-4 years being a mirror image, and that’s entirely what’s wrong. Obviously us and Freo are going to have more to do than other clubs purely because we’re the most isolated city in the world. But surely a “national comp” sees that and makes allowances, they seemed to be fine introducing COLA when things were imbalanced in Sydney, oh but hang on.. they’re a rugby state while full stadiums and record members are already pencilled in for Perth. There’s the issue.

You're an idiot.

West Coast joined the VFL. A state league based in another state.

It was a choice borne out of pragmatism.

Never in our clubs history have we been a type to rock the boat.

It has nothing to do with "modern members" whatever the fukk that means.

Probably not well worded, let’s say current AFL members. They will complain and complain but never make a stand against anything even if it’s just an individual stand. They just go with the flow yet keep complaining.
If it’s not fair or if you think your club gets shafted then stop throwing money at it.

Probably not well worded, let’s say current AFL members. They will complain and complain but never make a stand against anything even if it’s just an individual stand. They just go with the flow yet keep complaining.
If it’s not fair or if you think your club gets shafted then stop throwing money at it.

You're still an idiot.

One that doesn't understand the basic premise of your own club.

West Coast do not have not and will not rock the boat.

It just isn't how the club operates.

I agree with you. West Coast supporters need to pull their heads out, its not the 1990's anymore.

Past injustices have nothing to do with decisions made by current AFL administration and the commission (which is chaired by a West Australian).

The AFL is not out to fukk over West Coast.

Supporters and members need to stop living in the past with bitterness.

It's time to get over it and grow up.

When Nisbett and the club cares then we should care, the club and Nisbett are just another in a long line of puppets that do what they are told when they are told. Never hear a peep from them. So obviously no issue for them.

Because Nisbett and the board are rational people with well reasoned logic.

They understand that things from the 90's are in the past and the AFL is not out to screw us over.

You're still an idiot.

I agree with you. West Coast supporters need to pull their heads out, its not the 1990's anymore.

Past injustices have nothing to do with decisions made by current AFL administration and the commission (which is chaired by a West Australian).

I am not an idiot champ, I fully understand exactly how our club works. All they want is our money, they could not give a crap about anything else. The same applies to AFL clubs the country over.

You're still an idiot.

If he’s an idiot... and you agree with him... what does that make you? Just asking for a friend.

They understand that things from the 90's are in the past and the AFL is not out to screw us over.

No they are lining their pockets and will never rock the boat. No different to any large organisation that has sheep that follow them no matter what.

If he’s an idiot... and you agree with him... what does that make you? Just asking for a friend.

It was sarcasm. I agree that West Coast supporters need to pull their heads out.

But the central tenet is for very different reasons.

I am not an idiot champ, I fully understand exactly how our club works. All they want is our money, they could not give a crap about anything else. The same applies to AFL clubs the country over.

No they are lining their pockets and will never rock the boat. No different to any large organisation that has sheep that follow them no matter what.

Sounds like you have deeply held resentments about how the club is run and the competition that it competes in.

Maybe you should follow a different team or different comp all together.

For the benefit of your own health, of course.

Sounds like you have deeply held resentments about how the club is run and the competition that it competes in.

Maybe you should follow a different team or different comp all together.

For the benefit of your own health, of course.

No I have no problem, I know how it all works and accept it for what it is. I handed in my memberships two years ago because I preferred my money to go to West Perth where it is valued.
I still follow the Eagles and they are my AFL club, I just don’t get the complaining from Eagles supporters and members. They need to accept it for what it is or just follow on tv.

Only way change can happen is to withdraw financial support, don’t attend games, don’t be a member. Money talks and while you keep handing it over they will continue to do it how they want. There is no other way.

No it isn’t.

You don’t have to withdraw support from a thing you love to still expect a fair go.

Standing up and calling out hypocrisy when you see it can bring about change, especially when other people see it too.

You know what doesn’t though? Pretending that an imbalance doesn’t exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it isn’t.

You don’t have to withdraw support from a thing you love to still expect a fair go.

Standing up and calling out hypocrisy when you see it can bring about change, especially when other people see it too.

You know what doesn’t though? Pretending that an imbalance doesn’t exist.

You can call it out as much as you want, it won’t change until you remove revenue in big numbers.

This isn’t just a historical discrepancy. Its not ancient history.

This is now. Everyone knows the fixture is compromised. We all see the MCG clubs with that special advantage. We all listen to the same bullshit commentary cheering on the doggies, the Pies, the dees etc. while forgetting west coast players names. We’ve all seen our players get smashed by MRO and we’ve all asked whether the same would have happened if it was Richmond.

It’s not deliberate. The AFL isn’t consciously out to get the Eagles, but there is an imbalance that favours one group of clubs above all others and it frustrates the hell out of me and a lot of other supporters.

But just because we don’t know how to fix it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be called out.

To sit back and pretend this doesn’t exist or say that it’s fine is just turning a blind eye to it. How the * will things ever change if everyone did that?

This isn’t just a historical discrepancy. Its not ancient history.

This is now. Everyone knows the fixture is compromised. We all see the MCG clubs with that special advantage. We all listen to the same bullshit commentary cheering on the doggies, the Pies, the dees etc. while forgetting west coast players names. We’ve all seen our players get smashed by MRO and we’ve all asked whether the same would have happened if it was Richmond.

It’s not deliberate. The AFL isn’t consciously out to get the Eagles, but there is an imbalance that favours one group of clubs above all others and it frustrates the hell out of me and a lot of other supporters.

But just because we don’t know how to fix it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be called out.

To sit back and pretend this doesn’t exist or say that it’s fine is just turning a blind eye to it. How the fu** will things ever change if everyone did that?

Everything you say has merit in it and may possibly be true but you need tens of thousands of people to make a stand to get change and more importantly you need the club to be the one directing it.

Everything you say has merit in it and may possibly be true but you need tens of thousands of people to make a stand to get change and more importantly you need the club to be the one directing it.

You don’t need the club directing it.

You need footy fans who can see a bigger picture and a better, more even, truly national competition to make noise about it.

And there are already thousands of of us. Every supporter of a non-Victorian club can see it, even supporters of Victorian clubs can see it. We all see it but for some reason it’s frowned upon to talk about it.

We’re just whingers. So lets just get on with it.

And nothing ever changes.

We all need to be vocal about this. We need to throw it back at the Victorian supporters. We need to put the asterisk on their premierships.

We all should be screaming from the roof top that this is bullshit. This imbalance is real and for a professional competition it is unacceptable.

If enough of us do it and if the AFL cares about its brand, it will listen.

You don’t need the club directing it.

You need footy fans who can see a bigger picture and a better, more even, truly national competition to make noise about it.

And there are already thousands of of us. Every supporter of a non-Victorian club can see it, even supporters of Victorian clubs can see it. We all see it but for some reason it’s frowned upon to talk about it.

We’re just whingers. So lets just get on with it.

And nothing ever changes.

We all need to be vocal about this. We need to throw it back at the Victorian supporters. We need to put the asterisk on their premierships.

We all should be screaming from the roof top that this is bullshit. This imbalance is real and for a professional competition it is unacceptable.

If enough of us do it and if the AFL cares about its brand, it will listen.

I think the club has to be directing it, for there won't be enough supporters that rally to bring about an effectual fan protest because the AFL well know that the average footy-goer just wants their circus on their days off work and can't be bothered looking at the big picture, let alone getting involved in affecting change. On top of that, many a footy-goer are tragic's/addicted to the circus. Some of these may agree to help out, but only so long as they're not put out in any way. Supporters chirping at how the AFL is unfair won't do s**t, because the AFL know that regardless of what these fans say, they're still going to turn up and hand over their hard-earned, thus there's no incentive for the AFL to act. Without proper organization, the very best one can expect from a fan protest is a platitude or two spewed forth from the AFL to appease the peasants. This is why I believe greatwhiteshark is correct, that in order to affect change it has to be lead by the club. The supporters will rally around the club, but they won't do so for other supporters and the issues they raise.

I like crapping on the AFL from all angles but come on if some of us actually believe whats being typed up you are idiots.

It is getting close to the Freo take that the umpires give us more free kicks because it sells more newspapers.

Chill out, if we are good enough we will win thats it. Pus we will always be rich baby.

I think the club has to be directing it, for there won't be enough supporters that rally to bring about an effectual fan protest because the AFL well know that the average footy-goer just wants their circus on their days off work and can't be bothered looking at the big picture, let alone getting involved in affecting change. On top of that, many a footy-goer are tragic's/addicted to the circus. Some of these may agree to help out, but only so long as they're not put out in any way. Supporters chirping at how the AFL is unfair won't do sh*t, because the AFL know that regardless of what these fans say, they're still going to turn up and hand over their hard-earned, thus there's no incentive for the AFL to act. Without proper organization, the very best one can expect from a fan protest is a platitude or two spewed forth from the AFL to appease the peasants. This is why I believe greatwhiteshark is correct, that in order to affect change it has to be lead by the club. The supporters will rally around the club, but they won't do so for other supporters and the issues they raise.
But if its led by the club, instantly you have sidelined other supporters from other clubs who feel the same way. You are also giving the AFL and the Melbourne media a convenient out by labelling West Coast as "sooks", reinforcing the whining West Aussie stereotype, allowing for it all to be easily glossed over.

Nothing will change.

And it's not just West Coast supporters who see this. Everyone does. It's just that we're always told to shut up, just get on with it. Nobody cares.

Nothing gets fixed.

All it takes is for like minded fans on a site like Bigfooty.com to come together and talk about their frustrations. Then they may be motivated to do something about it in a more organised way.

Believe me, the AFL couldn't care less about 100K West Coast fans complaining because it can write it off through the media as an anomaly. It can't write off 100K fans from all over Australia making those same complaints.

That is when the AFL will need to respond because that is when it will affect their brand. If the AFL is trying to push into new markets, the last thing they'd want is a navel gazing reputation, with a compromised competition, skewed heavily toward its Victorian heartland.

But it takes the fans to make the noise not the clubs.

Last edited:
You're still an idiot.

The AFL is juggling the needs of many stakeholders some of which will move heaven and earth to either gain an advantage or ensure other teams don't get an advantage.

The AFL is also focused on $$$$ not fairness.

AFL House may not 'be out to ### West Coast' but they sure make a lot of decisions that favor other clubs ahead of the Eagles. Our wealth actually hurts us in some respects. We can afford to cop a raw deal / raw fixturing where other clubs need a bit of a hand from the AFL in various ways.

I like crapping on the AFL from all angles but come on if some of us actually believe whats being typed up you are idiots.

It is getting close to the Freo take that the umpires give us more free kicks because it sells more newspapers.

Chill out, if we are good enough we will win thats it. Pus we will always be rich baby.

I don't understand why so many people are ok with things the way they are.

So you're ok with the yearly compromised fixture?
You're happy listening to sports commentators who mix up our players names and consistently barrack against us?
You're not furious when the AFL makes decisions based entirely on Victorian sensibilities without any consideration for the rest of the competition?
You think it's fair enough that the Grand Final is locked into the MCG for the rest of our lifetime?
You're happy to have played less real home games than every other club that hasn't fled its home state this year because of "integrity in the competition"?

I agree, if we're good enough we will win. That's the Eagles culture and its part of what I love about this club. The Eagles will always retain that culture and will succeed whatever the circumstances.

But it doesn't mean we shouldn't still expect an even competition.

But if its lead by the club instantly you have sidelined other supporters from other clubs who feel the same way. You are then also giving the AFL and the Melbourne media another out by labelling West Coast fans as whingers who are never happy. Nothing will change.

Have you not read the sentiments on the main board when non-Victorian supporters raise related issues? Victorian fans typically deny and obfuscate... until they're ground down, backed into a corner and finally get from them: 'well, you did join the VFL, so be grateful and stop bitching.' The strategy of getting Victorian fans on board is a losing proposition, because footy is tribal, and these fans want to keep the status quo whereby their team receives a leg up.

All it takes is for like minded fans on a site like Bigfooty to come together and to talk about their frustrations. Then they may be motivated to do something about it in a more organised way.

What you've suggested has been tried and tested on Figbooty to no avail. Tribal factions will never unite. Where's the incentive to do so for Victorian supporters? Appealing to their sense of fairness and justice has proven to be a waste of time and energy. Rather than bringing about unity, mockery and derision is what ensues.

Believe me, the AFL couldn't care less about 100K West Coast fans complaining because it can write it off through the media as an anomaly. It can't write off 100K fans from all over Australia making those same complaints.

I agree with you on the part where the AFL don't give a s**t about any number of WCE supporters complaining.

If the club lead the charge, some sections of the national media will start covering it. That's a start. It's likely the sycophantic Vic media will ignore it, as they're largely AFL controlled.

It's well and good to have high-minded ideals of bringing everyone together, but the real bitch of the situation is in the how, given competing interests.

That is when the AFL will need to respond because that is when it will affect their brand. Especially if the AFL is trying to push into new markets, the last thing they'd want associated with is as a navel gazing league with a compromised competition skewed heavily toward its Victorian heartland.But it takes the fans to make the noise not the clubs.

There's just too many tribalistic fans who revel in flipping the bird to the opposition and who care nothing for integrity, fairness, justice and so forth. Such fans unwittingly run interference for the AFL. The AFL need not do anything but let the disputing fans bicker among themselves. Tribalism is the nature of the beast we're up against. It's why I believe much more is needed than a weak fan-lead protest.

The club getting involved is a start, but a weak half-arsed effort will be mocked by the Vic-based supporters and the AFL. A weak threat or statement from the club will be ignored or mocked and lessen the club's credibility, so play hard, play to win, be prepared to go to extremes and don't threaten without the will to follow through. The fans can only protest, and the protestations of the plebs will be ignored. The club can hit the AFL where it hurts and really * their s**t up if they're willing to get their hands dirty and forgo their stoic professionalism for the time being. If you want to win, prepare for a (metaphorical) fist fight, for the gentlemanly approach will get the club and its supporters nowhere. Either go hard or go home.

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many people are ok with things the way they are.

So you're ok with the yearly compromised fixture?
You're happy listening to sports commentators who mix up our players names and consistently barrack against us?
You're not furious when the AFL makes decisions based entirely on Victorian sensibilities without any consideration for the rest of the competition?
You think it's fair enough that the Grand Final is locked into the MCG for the rest of our lifetime?
You're happy to have played less real home games than every other club that hasn't fled its home state this year because of "integrity in the competition"?

I agree, if we're good enough we will win. That's the Eagles culture and its part of what I love about this club. The Eagles will always retain that culture and will succeed whatever the circumstances.

But it doesn't mean we shouldn't still expect an even competition.

I agree with a bunch of what you said, but I also think that I have a bias and am really sensitive to all things eagles. There are a bunch of teams that cop the exact same, the Vic teams claim no real home ground etc. Everyone has their own team rank highest priority. The AFL's job is near impossible.

I am essentially happy and put up with all of the above because I love footy and they next best option is WAFL. I will eat the s**t sandwich the AFL serve and smile because I know it wont be too far away where they will eat it when we lift the cup again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back