News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
18 months may as well be 12 months given he won't miss games. Sounds too slim to me.

On the other hand, 24 months may see him finished as an Eagles player - we aren't going to bring him in ~2 weeks before finals 2021 (assuming we make it) when he hasnt trained with us in 2 years, let alone played a game.

Maybe something like 21 months will placate both sides. He misses a season and a half and it gives him a chance to redeem himself in the second half of 2021.

18 months may as well be 12 months given he won't miss games. Sounds too slim to me.

On the other hand, 24 months may see him finished as an Eagles player - we aren't going to bring him in ~2 weeks before finals 2021 (assuming we make it) when he hasnt trained with us in 2 years, let alone played a game.

Maybe something like 21 months will placate both sides. He misses a season and a half and it gives him a chance to redeem himself in the second half of 2021.
We have more than enough dead wood on the list to keep Rioli even if he misses all of 2021 IMO.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The only scenario I'm not keeping him is a 4 year ban, he is too good to cut otherwise.
3 years would be 28, without a game played since...

I would say anything more than 2 would be the clubs max. It will be hard to maintain his fitness, focus and touch for more than 2 seasons I'd imagine. Bare in mind, he can't play state level either. I'm not sure if he's allowed to train with the club or not during that time.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
He can train with a club up until he gets officially banned. After that, he can't train with any official club in any league until one month before the ban ends. Conceivably, he could have been training with the Eagles all of this year, but I guess they deemed that not worth the effort, especially with COVID restrictions etc.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
3 years would be 28, without a game played since...

I would say anything more than 2 would be the clubs max. It will be hard to maintain his fitness, focus and touch for more than 2 seasons I'd imagine. Bare in mind, he can't play state level either. I'm not sure if he's allowed to train with the club or not during that time.
3 years would be an unusual sized ban. I would be putting it on him to stay fit and motivated, if he can't then he gets cut. It is very tough on him but the reality is that his decisions have put him where he is, it is not anyone else fault. I want to give him every opportunity to come back and I want him playing for us again.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the club would need to have a conversation with him if it's an especially long ban. If he 100% commits to signing with us as as a delisted free agent(?) after the ban is over, we should be okay to delist him until then to free some space. If there's any risk of another team poaching him (e.g. to join Daniel at Richmond), then we have evaluate if we want to risk it.

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
There will be a hearing in front of the AFL Anti Doping Tribunal. ASADA will present a case that Willie contravened ASADA rules and will put forward a penalty they think is fair given the facts of the case. QC David Grace will present his case, which is highly unlikely to dispute the facts, or any wrong doing, but will be centred around mitigating factors.

The AFL tribunal will hand down a penalty they think is fair. They will need to ensure that the penalty is satisfactory in ASADA's view, otherwise ASADA may challenge the ruling and it could play out all of next year too.

To me 12 months feels too light. Anywhere from 15-24 months is probably the sweet spot in my view. 18 months would allow him to play from March 12 (i.e. round 1) and return to the club one month before his ban ends (February 12).
One of the top contributors to this thread

You should change your name to Free Willie

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't help but think ASADA is going to push for 4 years unfortunately.

We might get a couple of clues depending on what the club does in the trade period.

If the club is currently working through Willie's defense they would have received the brief from ASADA outlining the infraction, including the commensurate penalty.

If we go all out for small forwards, he might be in a bit of strife.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I feel like weve got some half decent small forwards the problem in 2020 was they were all injured/unavailable at the same time and when they did play they didnt cement their spot.

Cripps
JJ
Cameron
even Treacy

looked ok in patches but not enough

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
If he kept himself fit, I'd keep Rioli even if he got 4 years. Could easily get 6/7 years out of him after he came back

Won't happen. Reduced list sizes and reduced TPP. More than 2 years and he will be off the list.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If he kept himself fit, I'd keep Rioli even if he got 4 years. Could easily get 6/7 years out of him after he came back

I'd be pissed off as a member if they did that.
It'd hard enough to miss 2 years.
No chance of retaining him for 4.
Why would you keep someone on the payroll for that long?

"6 or 7 years".
If he get's 4 years, will be close to 29 when eligible to play.

As others have said, I reckon 2 years is the maximum we can keep him.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Won't happen. Reduced list sizes and reduced TPP. More than 2 years and he will be off the list.
What's his contract situation? Could we not sign him to a minimum value extension coinciding with his ban period?

Personally I'd happily sacrifice one list place for him if his heart is in it. The first game he plays again will likely be more valuable than the entire seasons of at least a couple of blokes who end up at the bottom of our list.

I feel like weve got some half decent small forwards the problem in 2020 was they were all injured/unavailable at the same time and when they did play they didnt cement their spot.

Cripps
JJ
Cameron
even Treacy

looked ok in patches
but not enough

I must have missed this part. :p

Probably the first player delisted.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

Cripps
JJ
Cameron
even Treacy

looked ok in patches but not enough

I would not include Cripps in this company. He is few levels ahead of these kids.

Back