News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno, it made sense in my mind. That they'd prioritise lesser cases where time could be of the essence whilst the involved person were provisionally suspended, as opposed to someone who can afford to be stuck in limbo indefinitely as they would be getting a longer than usual sentence.
You speculated about the outcome and came to believe in the most severely negative outcome?

That doesn't seem like you at all.

Again, if you're treated as guilty before your hearing and serving a provisional sentence, as ASADA works, they'd be putting resources into cases where persons would likely serve a shorter sentence, not someone who'll very likely get the full penalty. Especially at a time where COVID is running rampant, they probably have less people working for them right now. Makes sense in my mind.
ASADA don’t determine his sentence though. Both Willie/WC and ASADA put forward their case to an AFL hearing who determine his penalty.

"That they'd prioritise lesser cases where time could be of the essence".

How is time more of the essence in other cases, would that apply to sportspersons on life support or something!!
And what organisation would consider something "Lesser" as a priority 🤣

Tin foil hat required: Spoke to someone today (who may know one of the investigators) who said that the verdict had been handed down at least a couple of months ago and that the AFL keeps blocking its finalisation for some reason. Not sure if they are trying to negotiate an outcome?

Really, I honestly never realised the length of time he's banned is decided on by the AFL.
Any idea who the actual AFL person/person's are that make the ruling?

ASADA have appeal rights and can request WADA intervention via CAS if the believe the code has been grossly misinterpreted. So, the AFL will need to be reasonable in their judgement.

No info on who the adjudicator's will be for Willie - they usually get former judges.

Just checked Willie's Instagram page to see if he was still posting his training vids - nothing in his story. But he's also deleted almost every photo from his profile. Old photos and videos from his time at the club along with many others. Anyone know if this is recent?

He puts stuff on Instagram regularly, daily almost, of him running around taking potshots on goal, and never missing.

The year is 2050AD.

The Robot Pacification Wars have concluded. Artificial Intelligence has been ruled by an international court to classify as "as form of life entitled to existence".

The newest generation of Humanity have grown up co-existing peacefully alongside the Androids. Parliament have recently passed the "Circuit Anti-Discrimination Act", making it illegal for employers to sack employees based upon the heritage of their manufacturer.

The expected #1 draft pick of the upcoming 2051 AFL season is Patrick "Bolts" Dyson, a plucky young inside mid who grew up as a vacuum cleaner in the western suburbs of Sydney. His elevation to an AFL list will see him become the 42nd player of mechanical origin to play the game.

Willie Rioli still awaits the announcement of his ASADA hearing.

Could have worked in "with the MCG GF deal only 7 years away from ending the AFL is acting fast to stitch up another 30 - 50 years to benefit the national comp"

Very well written up by Dean Rioli. It's a disgrace that this case hasn't been put to bed yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very well written up by Dean Rioli. It's a disgrace that this case hasn't been put to bed yet.

Yeah thought was well written. All laid bare.

Is it? There's some excerpts followed by a link to TheWest which is behind a paywall.

I bet TheWest approached Dean for a letter too, probably paid him to write one, and then they lock it behind a paywall hoping people will pay to read it.
Not like The West to do something like that

Is it? There's some excerpts followed by a link to TheWest which is behind a paywall.

I bet TheWest approached Dean for a letter too, probably paid him to write one, and then they lock it behind a paywall hoping people will pay to read it.

Yeah looks like the article's been edited - the fox article had the full letter at the end of the piece, but no longer.

Scummy move tbh

Dear Gillon McLachlan and Andrew Dillon,

I am writing to plead for the AFL to play a more active role in my cousin Willie Rioli’s hearing with ASADA in December.

It has been 15 months since Willie received the notice that he is to be suspended and whilst I agree that ignorance is not an excuse and he had to accept the punishment that was to follow, I am deeply disappointed that he has been left out in the wilderness and uncertain of where his future lies.

In 2015, Collingwood players Lachie Keefe and Josh Thomas tested positivefor a banned substanceafter taking illicit drugs in February 2015, and their verdicts were handed down in early August 2015—six months from test to verdict. Both players received two-year sentences for testing positive.
In the past eight years there have been nine cases of football players being sanctioned for prohibited substances. Only a third of these cases received the maximum sanction available, with the average sanction coming to just under 21 months. The shortest sanction was just six months.
Should Willie receive a similar fate, he will have already served close to the average sentence before his verdict was even handed down.
The cases of Sam Murray, Brayden Crossley, Ryan Crowley, Josh Glenn (SANFL), Khan Haretuku, Ahmed Saad, Sam Gilbert (VFL), Josh Thomas and Lachie Keefe, and the infamous 34 Essendon players, were all found to have prohibited substances present in their systems.
Willie was not found to have any illegal performance enhancing drugs in the sample he provided at the time of testing. Missing a finals series in 2019 and to miss an entire 2020 season is a hefty penalty already.
He has been advised for the last eight months that his hearing is coming up in the next month or two and it has now dragged on where it is not fair on Willie but also not right for any individual to have to go through.
Willie is from the remote community of Pirlangimpi on the Tiwi Islands with a population of 350, has a partner also from the Tiwi Islands and two young children aged three years and six months. He is in limbo here on Pirlangimpi until he awaits his fate.
I am currently visiting my community of Pirlangimpi as I write this letter and I know the outcome of the hearing will not only affect Willie and his family but the entire Tiwi Islands and the wider Aboriginal population across Australia.
I am saddened as I sit here today to see the issues and challenges faced in this part of Australia. I know every Aboriginal community across Australia faces their own challenges with education, employment, health, alcohol, drugs, violence, overcrowded housing, incarceration rates and so much more.
Willie Rioli’s outcome will give hope to so many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across Australia, showing them that regardless of the mistakes you have made, you can continue moving forward on your path and turn your situation into a positive outcome.

The journey for Willie is an inspiration for many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to never give up and that the continuous disappointments of being overlooked in many drafts does not have to be the end of your dream.

His persistence and dedication are qualities many programs across Australia are aiming to instil in our young boys and girls as they grow up to achieve great things in their own lives.

This is a great opportunity for the AFL to use its stance on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs to improve the outcomes of some really bleak situations faced by many across Australia.

I am no way saying that because Willie is Aboriginal, he should receive a different set of rules to everyone else. This is for all people who are caught up in a cycle of negative situations and very rarely get given a second chance to make things right.

I ask that you please step in and place your support behind Willie and show that the AFL fights for people in their system and supports their people who have made mistakes and deserve a second chance.

He acknowledged that ignorance was not an excuse and has accepted the ASADA and AFL ruling to suspend him but he does deserve to be given better priority as it is only fair he knows where his immediate future lies.

I believe an 18-month sentence backdated to August or September 2019 is more than sufficient for someone who did not test positive for any performance enhancing or illegal substance, especially considering the sanctions given to those who did test positive to illegal substances.

Regards,

Dean Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back