News Willie Rioli Provisionally Suspended

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bit vague on the rule so can someone please clarify? Thought it was three strike policy.

But Thomas, Keefe, Murray and now Rioli look to be outed and suspended.

difference between (this rule) recreational vs performance enhancing drugs?

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bit vague on the rule so can someone please clarify? Thought it was three strike policy.

Two different codes, doping code and illicit drugs code.

Doping code is primarily interested in peds which includes illicit drugs in competition, outside of competition it doesn’t test for them.

The illicit drugs policy is out of competition and test just for recreational drugs, under that they have the 3 strikes policy.

Rioli has tested positive in competition, hence his run afoul of the doping code, like wise his out of competition test that he tampered with was conducted under the doping code.

Therefore the 3 strikes policy doesn’t apply in his case.

Edit: Murray was done for coke in competition so like Rioli, keefe and Thomas were done for clen, banned in and out of competition, not recreational drugs.

Last edited:

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
It's a shame it's gone this way because he has genuine game-breaking talent - his kicking in particular was sublime.

If it turns out that his career is over with the sample substitution issue or this adverse game-day test result then I'd be wishing him all the best in whatever path he ends up following up north, whether it be football-related or otherwise.

This was an ASADA PED test, as were Thomas Keeffe and Murray. Thomas and Keeffe tested positive to Clenbuterol our of competition. Murray and Rioli tested positive to cocaine and cannabis on gameday tests. Both are banned, performance enhancing substances to have in your system on game day under ASADA/WADA rules. If they had been tested on any other day other than their games, they wouldn’t have been in trouble. None of this has anything to do with the 3 strikes illicit drugs policy which is enforced by the AFL.

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
This was an ASADA PED test, as were Thomas Keeffe and Murray. Thomas and Keeffe tested positive to Clenbuterol our of competition. Murray and Rioli tested positive to cocaine and cannabis on gameday tests. Both are banned, performance enhancing substances to have in your system on game day under ASADA/WADA rules. If they had been tested on any other day other than their games, they wouldn’t have been in trouble. None of this has anything to do with the 3 strikes illicit drugs policy which is enforced by the AFL.
Thanks for explanation

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Two different codes, doping code and illicit drugs code.

Doping code is primarily interested in peds which includes illicit drugs in competition, outside of competition it doesn’t test for them.

The illicit drugs policy is out of competition and test just for recreational drugs, under that they have the 3 strikes policy.

Rioli has tested positive in competition, hence his run afoul of the doping code, like wise his out of competition test that he tampered with was conducted under the doping code.

Therefore the 3 strikes policy doesn’t apply in his case.

Edit: Murray was done for coke in competition so like Rioli, keefe and Thomas were done for clen, banned in and out of competition, not recreational drugs.
Thanks

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't get it, did he use Gatoraide as bong water and then drink it?

They are two seperate incidents on two seperate days.

1. Sample substitution was on a Tuesday.
2. Testing positive to marijuana was about 10 days later on game day. It’s considered a performance enhancing drug if it’s in your system on game day.

So on charge 2 Murray got two years after arguing that it was residual traces from taking cocaine a week or so before game day. Theoretically Rioli could argue the same , that he thought it would be out of his system by then.

Except for the fact that argument won’t fly given he’d done the Gatorade switch a few weeks earlier . That completely destroys any claims that he’d have about arguing along those lines of it being an innocent mistake.

He’s toast.

Last edited:
They are two seperate incidents on two seperate days.

1. Sample substitution was on a Tuesday.
2. Testing positive to marijuana was about 10 days later on game day. It’s considered a performance enhancing drug if it’s in your system on game day.

So on charge 2 Murray got two years after arguing that it was residual traces from taking cocaine a week or so before game day. Theoretically Rioli could argue the same , that he thought it would be out of his system by then.

Except for the fact that argument won’t fly given he’d done the Gatorade switch a few weeks earlier . That completely destroys any claims that he’d have about arguing along those lines of it being an innocent mistake.

He’s toast.
Very similar to Murray, however while prohibited on match day marijuana is classified differently to cocaine. Therefore on that matter he’s looking at a maximum 2 year ban.

Still looking at a maximum of 4 years on substitution though.

Either won’t help the other.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Very similar to Murray, however while prohibited on match day marijuana is classified differently to cocaine. Therefore on that matter he’s looking at a maximum 2 year ban.

Still looking at a maximum of 4 years on substitution though.

Either won’t help the other.

ASADA will treat them together in my opinion and his behaviour in the switching situation will obliterate any Murray- like arguments that he was unaware that he might be positive on game day

Of course he did. Meanwhile he was laying into Jaidyn when he had his betting scandal. Bloke is a ******* knob.
Robbo seems sympathetic to poor little Willie.
Imagine if it was a Pies player.
Would be up in arms, blaming poor culture, Eddie been there too long, Bucks has gone soft on player behaviour.
Drugs, gambling, injured players disobedience, players lies, drinking & fighting.
No wonder they lost the Pre-Lim...the Club is in crisis.
But...instead it’s “poor Willie”.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Two musician comedians rather tastelessly ridiculed Willie Rioli on The Footy Show (I only watched a bit of it!), drinking gatorade and making cracks about it being Willie's urine, saying it tasted of Willie and then claiming to have got stoned from it. Anyone see it? I think the audience found it a bit uncomfortable judging by their muted reaction. Didn't believe that the final Footy Show was the time and place to take such a blatant shot at Rioli. Or am I becoming too PC?

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Two musician comedians rather tastelessly ridiculed Willie Rioli on The Footy Show (I only watched a bit of it!), drinking gatorade and making cracks about it being Willie's urine, saying it tasted of Willie and then claiming to have got stoned from it. Anyone see it? I think the audience found it a bit uncomfortable judging by their muted reaction. Didn't believe that the final Footy Show was the time and place to take such a blatant shot at Rioli. Or am I becoming too PC?

Sounds horrible and the exact reason I gave up watching that shyte 25 years ago

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
COLLINGWOOD

Not saying it's right or wrong. But I can't imagine too many here being uncomfortable if it had been about the Essendon players during their scandal.

Back