News Willie Rioli: tampered with drug testing sample; tests positive for cannabis

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested to know what sort of amounts you would need to drink the dilute the sample as unusable under WADA code.
I believe the timing of how much you drink is important. Say if you drunk a couple of litres straight after a game to bring on a pee for a test this would not effect the results until hours later.

The argument usually goes a bit like this: golly gee, it's so hard to catch drug cheats, woe is us, I know what we should do, eliminate any notion of legal rights, everyone is assumed guilty, just throw everyone into the slammer and throw away the key. That ought to fix it.

I don't know why everyone is arguing about whether he had used drugs or not.
For ASADA, thats is no longer the issue anymore.
The problem is that Rioli tampered with him sample. Legally, that's ultimately the crux of the issue. The agencies are directed to then assume the worst as soon as a sample is tampered with.

It sucks though, a simple brain-fade like this can ruin his career :(
breatho and run spring to mind

The alleged blood sample poses more questions than it answers!!
Who ordered them? ASADA?
Did he disclose to the club what he had done with the urine sample and they took him to get blood taken in the hope that they would "prove" no PED's??
If that was the case, thats a whole new can 'o worms....

Last edited:
The alleged blood sample poses more questions than it answers!!
Who ordered them? ASADA?
Did he disclose to the club what he had done with the urine sample and they took him to get blood taken in the hope that they would "prove" no PED's??
If that was the case, thats a whole new can 'o worms....

At the moment it's all speculation, so personally I think it's pointless to say this or say that because it's based on circumstances that are rumoured by media - for obvious reasons, none of them are privy to the inside intel on what actually happened.

It is being reported he poured the drink after trying to pee for 4 hours, i find that quite unbelievable.

The report’s author, John Townsend from The West Australian, told 6PR Radio on Monday that Rioli’s “absolutely extraordinary” version of events was “feasible”.
“He got called out at Eagles training. He was then required to provide a sample and his explanation is that he was dehydrated and was unable to do so,” Townsend said.
“He became increasingly frustrated which led him to tip the drink into the cup, which seems absolutely extraordinary, but perhaps if you’ve been waiting four hours.
“I’ve been told that it took four hours for him to provide a sample, that he was unable to provide the sample in four hours of waiting, and it sounds like he became so frustrated that he’d just had enough and he did what he did — to tip the drink into his specimen jar.”

I dont know .Just looking past the spiteful vindictive stuff here which tells me a bit about the People posting it and nothing about the Willie Rioli situation if I could send a message by carrier pigeon to the tiwi islands and say your alright Willie you have friends here in Eagles land dont stress about what you can't control ,then I would.

As a fan who has watched the Eagles games this season Rioli is the player least likely to have any performance enhancing drugs.I mean he is not a strength player his game realies on skill and being sharper and quicker and better with his decisions and disposals than other players.There are no drugs for that. His stamina has been below average all year.He had a long lay of with injury early ,about ten weeks ,and when he came back he was blistering for about one quarter then faded and he has slowly built up his match day tank week by week.As a spectator week in week out the improvement has been slow and steadily and consistent with building the tank through cardio work no more no less.For that reason.( from watching what actully happens on the field ) .I'm inclined to see this situation as a either a big set back or a set back for Willies career depending on the verdict but not character defining .

This report claiming he “later had a blood test which revealed that he had no illicit or performance-enhancing substances in his body.” makes no reference to who did the blood test or who made those findings.

Unless it was ASADA it will have zero bearing on the case.
ASADA have ordered the blood test, they have the power to get as much evidence as they want including hair samples, blood tests and urine samples. it would have to be monitored by them as well. ANyway regardless he still tampered with the urine sample regardless

I dont know .Just looking past the spiteful vindictive stuff here which tells me a bit about the People posting it and nothing about the Willie Rioli situation if I could send a message by carrier pigeon to the tiwi islands and say your alright Willie you have friends here in Eagles land dont stress about what you can't control ,then I would.

As a fan who has watched the Eagles games this season Rioli is the player least likely to have any performance enhancing drugs.I mean he is not a strength player his game realies on skill and being sharper and quicker and better with his decisions and disposals than other players.There are no drugs for that. His stamina has been below average all year.He had a long lay of with injury early ,about ten weeks ,and when he came back he was blistering for about one quarter then faded and he has slowly built up his match day tank week by week.As a spectator week in week out the improvement has been slow and steadily and consistent with building the tank through cardio work no more no less.For that reason.( from watching what actully happens on the field ) .I'm inclined to see this situation as a either a big set back or a set back for Willies career depending on the verdict but not character defining .

Nah, he's a drug cheat. No other reason he would do that. He deserves a long ban.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ASADA have ordered the blood test, they have the power to get as much evidence as they want including hair samples, blood tests and urine samples. it would have to be monitored by them as well. ANyway regardless he still tampered with the urine sample regardless

When? Where? The initial urine test was performed at training. We know that. How would they know where to find him later that day? ASADA don’t stake out houses with flying hit squads despite the media bent for portraying them as covert military actions. As far as I’m aware, OOC tests are conducted at training. The club provides details to ASADA as to where and when training is conducted and when players will be at training. ASADA are not going to organise a DCO, a chaperone and a privately contracted pathology nurse on the basis that a player MIGHT be home.These tests are ‘user-pays’ that the AFL pays for. I seriously doubt that a blood test witnessed and organised by ASADA was done later that day.

Last edited:
Couldn't urinate for 4 hours? And then tries to avoid the test. Yeah, because that's normal.
Yeah it's not normal but that's what has been reported. I really wish ASADA would have a press release on what has officially occurred. With Murray did they announce anything other than test found cocaine on gameday? Or did it take months to release some more information?

The argument usually goes a bit like this: golly gee, it's so hard to catch drug cheats, woe is us, I know what we should do, eliminate any notion of legal rights, everyone is assumed guilty, just throw everyone into the slammer and throw away the key. That ought to fix it.
Let's not get too dramatic here.

If Willie finds the requirements of being a professional sportsman too onerous, he can always get a job in the other 99% of the economy.

It is being reported he poured the drink after trying to pee for 4 hours, i find that quite unbelievable.

The report’s author, John Townsend from The West Australian, told 6PR Radio on Monday that Rioli’s “absolutely extraordinary” version of events was “feasible”.
“He got called out at Eagles training. He was then required to provide a sample and his explanation is that he was dehydrated and was unable to do so,” Townsend said.
“He became increasingly frustrated which led him to tip the drink into the cup, which seems absolutely extraordinary, but perhaps if you’ve been waiting four hours.
“I’ve been told that it took four hours for him to provide a sample, that he was unable to provide the sample in four hours of waiting, and it sounds like he became so frustrated that he’d just had enough and he did what he did — to tip the drink into his specimen jar.”
The West could not be a more bias media platform for the Eagles if they tried, and that article is is indicative of how they report things over here. That bloke has written that like a WCE Cheerleader. In their headline, The West are actually referring to the incident as a ‘Test Confusion’ rather then the tampering act it is.

The West could not be a more bias media platform for the Eagles if they tried, and that article is is indicative of how they report things over here. That bloke has written that like a WCE Cheerleader. In their headline, The West are actually referring to the incident as a ‘Test Confusion’ rather then the tampering act it is.
They are gathering as much public sympathy as possible. Normal WC way using all their media sycophants as pawns.

If he couldn't piss for 4 hours because he was supposedly dehydrated that's fairly serious level of dehydration. Like, not something that professional athletes who prepare their bodies and know what they need to do to perform do. It's a complete load of crap.

If he didn't want to piss for 4 hours, there was another reason. But if you are going to try and cheat the system for whatever reason even if to avoid illicit drugs, you may as well come up with some rubbish excuse to save face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back