Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
long ago in the museum with his friends
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I am getting married soon and do not have a will. My wife to be and I are travelling overseas for honeymoon and with the house in my name I am wanting to Make a will, however my wife to be already has a will in her maiden name with her parents and sibling as beneficiaries. When I do my will and once married will this affect the validity of her existing will? Any suggestions

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm no big city psychologist, but unless there's exceptional circumstances (i.e. somebody has underage kids) wanting a prenuptial agreement seems like a red flag.

And I'm no big city judge, but a prenuptial agreement seems like it'd be disregarded if it were just to try and dick over the partner with a worse hand on wedding day.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm no big city psychologist, but unless there's exceptional circumstances (i.e. somebody has underage kids) wanting a prenuptial agreement seems like a red flag.

And I'm no big city judge, but a prenuptial agreement seems like it'd be disregarded if it were just to try and dick over the partner with a worse hand on wedding day.
More the reverse, if you've got a large wealth disparity between partners a prenuptial makes perfect sense. The red flag should be if the partner with less says they won't marry without it. A red flag they'll look to bail with a grab for wealth they weren't responsible for having any part in creating / inheriting etc. They should be a requirement of marriage if anything (and no I don't have one, but if I'd have been much wealthier than my wife to be I would have looked into and likewise if she'd been and wanted to protect her financial assets wouldn't have had an issue with her doing the same). We were both bog average starting out youngish adults when married though, so no point.

Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
long ago in the museum with his friends
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Not having a will i am mainly concerned what would happen to my mortgage and assets (not loaded) if something happened to me whilst overseas?
Also the fact my fiancé already has a will but made before we met.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not having a will i am mainly concerned what would happen to my mortgage and assets (not loaded) if something happened to me whilst overseas?
Also the fact my fiancé already has a will but made before we met.
Pretty much what WCErevival said, in the absence of kids if one of you dies the other gets the cash. In your partner's case if you survived you could more than likely challenge it. Wills pretty much these days for most people (not really loaded) are an intention, it can however make things less messy.

Depending on the state regardless of what Wills are in place if you share a home with your partner in joint title you will get their half automatically. Invesment properties are another matter.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am getting married soon and do not have a will.
Get a $10 will kit from the post office and fill it out. Do it yesterday. Even if you have virtually nothing in your own name, the mere existence of a document will save your kin a lot of ******* around with the Public Trustee trying to get probate if you get hit by a bus. Sorting out the affairs of someone who died intestate is a pain in the arse, trust me.

When you have time, go and see a lawyer with your prospective wife to sort out proper wills. See a financial adviser at the same time and make sure you both have appropriate levels of income protection and life insurance for your personal circumstances.

Last edited:
Back