M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I had never heard of this guy Wim Hof until early this morning when it was mentioned on SEN that Jeremy McGovern used his breathing techniques as part of his recovery from his injury to get up for the Grand Final.

I've spent the last 4 hours googling him and watching/reading various links. He basically says he can control his autonomic bodily functions. I haven't researched it extensively yet but in short the method/s he uses involves controlled breathing and exposure to cold.

I wont link anything on here but suffice to say if you google Wim Hof you'll find it quite extraordinary, he has subjected himself to scientific testing. Investigative journalist Scott Carney set out to debunk Hof's methods and was converted and has written a book about his experiences "What Doesn't Kill Us".

Anybody know anything about Wim Hof? Tried his methods?

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I had never heard of this guy Wim Hof until early this morning when it was mentioned on SEN that Jeremy McGovern used his breathing techniques as part of his recovery from his injury to get up for the Grand Final.

I've spent the last 4 hours googling him and watching/reading various links. He basically says he can control his autonomic bodily functions. I haven't researched it extensively yet but in short the method/s he uses involves controlled breathing and exposure to cold.

I wont link anything on here but suffice to say if you google Wim Hof you'll find it quite extraordinary, he has subjected himself to scientific testing. Investigative journalist Scott Carney set out to debunk Hof's methods and was converted and has written a book about his experiences "What Doesn't Kill Us".

Anybody know anything about Wim Hof? Tried his methods?
Pete Evans had a lot to do with him some years back and was ridiculed from pillar to post. I'll try and find one particular video they did, it was amazing.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Pete Evans had a lot to do with him some years back and was ridiculed from pillar to post. I'll try and find one particular video they did, it was amazing.
Yep, it's only been a few hours but I'm amazed at what I'm reading and viewing. Over the last few months I've really got into Yoga for the first time in my life and breathing techniques are a large part of it. The exposure to cold idea also at this early stage of me looking into it seems to have some science behind it.

I actually like Pete Evans. I don't watch his MSM shows though.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
This is a really interesting interview with the author who set out to debunk Hof, Hof not mentioned much, it's more about environmental conditioning. Using fat for fuel ie. Ketosis also gets a mention.

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
WIMDAY-76kSc78mLL

50% of code the fundamentals course think it cost me $250 aussie

The physical difference is astounding but not what i use it for.
I need to be at my mental peak every day and the wim hof method has changed my mind. I have full control of my emotions,
Which in my line of work , only the very elite achieve

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Life changing, highly recommend it.
Good to hear Barry, the last 3 weeks I have been doing the breathing technique at least once a day and all my showers have been cold, the first few showers were hard to get into but now I actually look forward to them, you get a bit of a high straight after. I must say I do feel more alert and calm and I've noticed that my automatic/normal breathing function is now not as shallow. I also feel better when I go for a run and I put that down to the new and improved breathing.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Good to hear Barry, the last 3 weeks I have been doing the breathing technique at least once a day and all my showers have been cold, the first few showers were hard to get into but now I actually look forward to them, you get a bit of a high straight after. I must say I do feel more alert and calm and I've noticed that my automatic/normal breathing function is now not as shallow. I also feel better when I go for a run and I put that down to the new and improved breathing.
I remember Tom Elliott saying he hasn't had a warm or hot shower for over 5 years, all cold. Like you he said it was quick to adapt and he really looks forward to them even in the middle of winter.

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I remember Tom Elliott saying he hasn't had a warm or hot shower for over 5 years, all cold. Like you he said it was quick to adapt and he really looks forward to them even in the middle of winter.
The cold showers are awesome its not only the health benefits but also the mental control thats required to not gasp stepping into a cold shower. I feel like i have a lot more control over my whole body.

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Completed 60 pushups this morning with no air in the lungs, started on 30 few months back its taken a while to double it, not sure entirely what hormones are released on finishing but the closest thing ive ever felt to it is hard drugs, maybe its just massive amounts of dopamine or adrenaline not sure, but its an amazing cheap feeling

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Completed 60 pushups this morning with no air in the lungs, started on 30 few months back its taken a while to double it, not sure entirely what hormones are released on finishing but the closest thing ive ever felt to it is hard drugs, maybe its just massive amounts of dopamine or adrenaline not sure, but its an amazing cheap feeling
Love this idea. Something I'd like to try

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Before I started the breathing method I could do at an absolute maximum 20-25 nose tapping the ground slow rhythmic push ups. Immediately on first attempt at exhale and hold push ups I did 36, I am now up to 53. I also use the same method for other body weight stuff eg. squats, planks, crunches with the same ability to extend the time.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Not sure about injury prevention but I've been doing a lot of reading about the benefits of a good morning routine this year and the WHM has been by far the best thing I've tried. No idea if the science stacks up but I feel bloody great after doing it (takes 15 minutes or so). Highly recommend. The meditation gets me in a good frame of mind, the push ups are like having a strong cup of coffee and by the time you're done with the cold shower, you'll be ready to run through brick walls.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/b09b6da09e2dbda25f6387d39b7935c0

Tom Burgess is the last one of the Burgii left standing at the Rabbitohs and he’s stripping fitter at 120 kilograms — and it’s all down to a Dutch guru known as “The Iceman”.

Hof credits his ability to withstand freezing temperatures down to training his body and his mind through hyperventilation and other breathing practices, as well as meditation.

And Burgess has followed some of the methods practised by Hof to try and improve his standards.

“I do my cold therapy, ice baths ... the cold showers. It is all about the breath,” Burgess said.

“We have some really cold ice baths. It’s all mental. The mind is a strong tool. It all gives you confidence to perform.

“We are all looking for the one percenters and this gives me something … an edge of some kind. I like the alternative methods and Wim is an interesting bloke.”

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Another guy on breathing techniques - James Nestor, great watch >

We get more energy from our breath than we do from food or hydration or sleep. And yet most people have never considered assessing how properly they breathe. Thankfully James has spent years speaking to the leading researchers, breathwork teachers, monks and free divers in the world to find out what we need to know.

Back