Grand Slam Wimbledon 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Wtf. Djokovic approaches the umpire because the hawk eye called it in, even though the point wasn’t over. He had every right too. They then had to replay the point.
Thought the pro Federer crowd was at worst last night. Djokovic double faulting, and the crowd cheered.
In a way I’m glad Federer loss to stick it up to the fans.
See Novak’s celebration? Just didn’t cheered or anything. Was fed up with it in the end. It’s laughable how much the crowd goes against Novak. Dont think people can handle his greatness
Yep,- the crowd was ordinary doing that. They might prefer Fed but Djokovic is a worthy opponent and winner. A great game just needs to be celebrated.

The fact Nadal has already beaten Federer on his own court demonstrates why. There’s no easy matches for Federer. Doesn’t exactly has Nadal’s number. I’d consider Federer a GOAT if he ever beat Nadal on Clay. That’s the obstacle. Nadal has done well his head to head in finals at Wimbledon at 1-2.
Djokovic comfortably has both Nadal and Federer, even at their peak. That’s scary.
Novak has already beaten Federer 3 times in Wimbledon finals. Supposedly his best surface.
He does have Nadal's number on non-clay surfaces, the numbers show it... including the SF win. If they meet at the AO, Federer will be favourite.

Djokovic has never beaten Federer at his peak, their peaks don't even overlap.

People don't seem to fully appreciate this: Federer almost pulled off the impossible on a slower grass court against the best defender ever.

In a five set match. At almost 38.

That's ******* insane. It was ridiculous reading some people here not giving Federer a chance. He was always a chance, and proved it last night. As I said earlier, the winner depended on who didn't dip on important points. Unfortunately for Federer, he didn't really go for his shots and ended up wasting the winning shot similar to last year's SF where Nadal approached the net and lost. Also, Djokovic should have never been in the position to be facing 2 MP against him (up 4-2 in the 5th). Federer practically handed him the title after Djoker gave him many chances to nab it. Their recent matches have been close, the difference was holding nerve. Fed converts one of those match points and it'd be his best victory ever, 21 slams and hard to chase down. He still has a shot at USO/AO if he keeps his nerve.

Last edited:

Jack Gun Cyril Stun

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
there's one stat not in there that is the entire bedrock of djokovic's play - forced errrors -> that extra shot Djokovic makes his opponents play that they eventually lose

Yep, Whatever happened to forced errors, it used to be a regular on the stat summary in the ‘old’ days.
Novak’s defence and ability to make his opponent play not just one but several extra shots is insane. His depth of shot too is rarely mentioned.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Safin, Hewitt and Roddick.

You can’t be serious. They only picked up trophies when Sampras was done and Federer was very young.

Once Fed kicked in they all started getting steamrolled because they were bang average in an average period for tennis.

It’s funny that people focus on Novak beating Fed as a 37 year old overnight but ignore the times he’s beaten him before that.

They also ignore who Federer beat before Novak and Nadal turned up to challenge him.

It’s quite funny.
Kevin Anderson(final), RBA and Lucas Poulie. (semis). That is the competition Novak has had to beat in his last 3 slams.

The US Open in 2017 was the worst slam depth I have ever seen. It has been a huge issue for years and until the next gen finally grow up(ZVEREV!!!!!!!!!!), it is just getting worse as the likes of Stan and Cilic get older while others are permanently sidelined(JMDP, Murray)

Yes, the big 3 are great but 3 players don't make the competition strong. For heaven's sake, Matteo Berrettini and Guido Pella are the 12th-13th ranked players on the race this year.................I rest my bloody case.

Antonio Conte

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Man City
actually thought djokovic played pretty poorly yesterday. wouldn't read too much from this match. loved his celebration at the end there, pretty much saying FU to the crowd. didn't do his normal celebration as he felt the crowd was not deserving.

Last edited:

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Federer won 14 more points for the match, a much better winner to UE ratio, more aces, more break points. It's a very tough loss for him.

Djokovic on the other hand was not at his best in the first 2 sets that I watched. He was clutch in the tiebreaks, which in the end got him the trophy.
Federer has to be at an extremely high level to go hammer and tong with Novak. I would argue that Novak wasn't quite at his best throughout the match because he wasn't allowed to be by Fed. His serving was just out of this world elite. The greatest clutch server in the history of the game. That reason alone he was able to keep himself in with a big chance till the end. But it comes back to the point of had he been a little off serving wise he would have been wiped in straight. The fine line between a so-so final and an absolute ball tearer.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He got lucky today. Federer, an almost 38 year old, had him on toast. There's no guarantee he'll win the USO or AO. Eventually father time will curb his defensive wall. He'll probably fall just short. Upsets also happen etc.
Federer clinically wins so many matches these days because his serving is just incredible. If that goes you will see a drop off in form. There is a reason he generally tries to finish matches quickly. He was running on fumes by the end last night. Doesn't like to grind anymore.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Safin, Hewitt and Roddick.

You can’t be serious. They only picked up trophies when Sampras was done and Federer was very young.

Once Fed kicked in they all started getting steamrolled because they were bang average in an average period for tennis.

It’s funny that people focus on Novak beating Fed as a 37 year old overnight but ignore the times he’s beaten him before that.

They also ignore who Federer beat before Novak and Nadal turned up to challenge him.

It’s quite funny.
Safin when he turned it on was capable of matching the best. That AO semi final against Fed was a thing of beauty. Problem was he couldn't get his head in the game often enough.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Safin when he turned it on was capable of matching the best. That AO semi final against Fed was a thing of beauty. Problem was he couldn't get his head in the game often enough.
Was like the Russian Kyrgios. Guy was so talented. My favourite player tbh. Could do everything and match with prime Federer.
Sadly just didn’t have it mentally nor cared much about the game. Rather party and count the cash

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was like the Russian Kyrgios. Guy was so talented. My favourite player tbh. Could do everything and match with prime Federer.
Sadly just didn’t have it mentally nor cared much about the game. Rather party and count the cash
He at least achieved some level of grand slam success. Probably should have won 2 Aus opens Johansson played out of his skin to beat him in 03 but Safin was way off that day. Got to the pinnacle but couldn't sustain it over many years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Wimbledon was fun to go to except for the fact that I lost my hat.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I couldn't find a General Tennis Questions thread so will put this here:

can anyone remember the Wimbledon final some time in the last 10-12 years where McEnroe, Borg and Connors strolled around centre court before the match began? They were chatting, analysing and reminiscing on British TV and received hearty applause from the crowd.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I couldn't find a General Tennis Questions thread so will put this here:

can anyone remember the Wimbledon final some time in the last 10-12 years where McEnroe, Borg and Connors strolled around centre court before the match began? They were chatting, analysing and reminiscing on British TV and received hearty applause from the crowd.
i do slightly recall something like that but I may be confusing it for other times things like that happened and I wouldn't be able to say when or what they said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back