Grand Slam Wimbledon 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
You think he's going to be moving like that in his mid 30s? There'll be a natural decline in his ability to play so defensively all the time. It's happened to Federer, it's already happened to Nadal... he's no exception.

but who will be there pushing him then? Federer has Nadal & Djokovic as an obstacle. Djokovic will have most of the folks already in the game who mentally disintegrate against him. Yes, Djokovic has this unbelievable ability to make you play an extra shot which is an asset that may decline, but I'd put more of a wager of Djokovic winning another 5 majors in the next 2-3 years than Federer winning another in that time. Federer's will be 40+ by then. He needs to win the immediate US & AUS to get a buffer because I think he's done after that.

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants
What would you have said the score was looking at these stats?

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 2.24.31 pm.png

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards

View attachment 709446
Tennis is a funny game. Need to look in the context of a game. Federer gets ace and unforced error in his serving suddenly it’s 15-15. Djokovic spaced his points and suddenly by the three tie breaks he’s got 21 extra point whereas Federer May have got 12 or so.
Mean you though, the stats are so close to even. Apart from aces.
First serve in is so close.
Federer winning a set 6-1 flipped those stats significantly. And was up 5-2 in the other. 6-1, 6-4 always going to be favouring him.
I’d look at the stats from the three tie breaking sets as an indicator

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

View attachment 709446

Djokovic in 5? :cool:

There isn't a huge discrepancy in most of those stats. The obvious one is net points but we know that Fed will always try to use the net to his advantage. Break points would be attributed to the second and fourth sets. Otherwise as FreoRicci has pointed out, it's fairly even.

but who will be there pushing him then? Federer has Nadal & Djokovic as an obstacle. Djokovic will have most of the folks already in the game who mentally disintegrate against him. Yes, Djokovic has this unbelievable ability to make you play an extra shot which is an asset that may decline, but I'd put more of a wager of Djokovic winning another 5 majors in the next 2-3 years than Federer winning another in that time. Federer's will be 40+ by then. He needs to win the immediate US & AUS to get a buffer because I think he's done after that.
How is Nadal an obstacle? He beat him in the SF and has won the past 6 of 7 against him, all happening on a non-clay court. Federer will always remain a chance to nab one here or there if he keeps on going deep in tournaments like this, especially if Djoker gets bundled out early (which has happened even when he was better). You say he will be 40+ by then but just remember this man had two match points on his racquet against an ATG just a few weeks shy of his 38 birthday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Federer lost... Well I am just glad that the crowd booed Djokovic. Deserved that and more.
Wtf. Djokovic approaches the umpire because the hawk eye called it in, even though the point wasn’t over. He had every right too. They then had to replay the point.
Thought the pro Federer crowd was at worst last night. Djokovic double faulting, and the crowd cheered.
In a way I’m glad Federer loss to stick it up to the fans.
See Novak’s celebration? Just didn’t cheered or anything. Was fed up with it in the end. It’s laughable how much the crowd goes against Novak. Dont think people can handle his greatness

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Crazy effort for a 38 year old, Novak is a god.

Imagine Tennis without Novak, Fed and Rafa, They really should cancel the sport for a decade to mourn.

I had one dolt friend today tell me that Novak is only winning because the competition is currently weak.

The three greatest players of all time are currently going around and he said the competition is weak.

Can’t make it up.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
How is Nadal an obstacle? He beat him in the SF and has won the past 6 of 7 against him, all happening on a non-clay court. Federer will always remain a chance to nab one here or there if he keeps on going deep in tournaments like this, especially if Djoker gets bundled out early (which has happened even when he was better). You say he will be 40+ by then but just remember this man had two match points on his racquet against an ATG just a few weeks shy of his 38 birthday.

considering 1 major is on clay, you have to say that Nadal is indeed an obstacle particularly as Nadal has his measure on that surface.

yes, he's a chance to nab one, but needs to nab one or two of the next couple IMO. Djokovic wins the US, and there's a good chance the King of Oz gets to 18 by end of January.

I can taste your fear.
Five slams is still hard to make up regardless who is trying to do it. That assumes Federer doesn't sneak in one or two more either.

Once Djoker's movement declines, it's just going to get harder for him because the cornerstone of his game is going to be a lot weaker as a result.

He may face a player on the other side of the net who doesn't choke like Federer when they have an opportunity to win.

considering 1 major is on clay, you have to say that Nadal is indeed an obstacle particularly as Nadal has his measure on that surface.

yes, he's a chance to nab one, but needs to nab one or two of the next couple IMO. Djokovic wins the US, and there's a good chance the King of Oz gets to 18 by end of January.
Then there are three majors on court where Federer has his number. Federer is never going to win the FO with Nadal still playing there, so that's not exactly anything new.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I had one dolt friend today tell me that Novak is only winning because the competition is currently weak.

The three greatest players of all time are currently going around and he said the competition is weak.

Can’t make it up.
errrrr...he is kinda right. Not about Novak only winning because of it but how the competition is weak.

lets ignore the big 3. superstars, GOATS etc etc etc. But to win Wimbledon, Novak beat a 37-year-old in 5 sets and.............

Who else is there......Only 1 current player can break apart the big 3 . that is Thiem at the French. We can't complain about how boring the men's side was until the semi and then say the competition is strong because he beat one fantastic player.

I remember when this GOAT discussion was young and the common complaint about Federer was that he had no competition.....At least he had Safin, Hewitt and Roddick....

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Then there are three majors on court where Federer has his number. Federer is never going to win the FO with Nadal still playing there, so that's not exactly anything new.
The fact Nadal has already beaten Federer on his own court demonstrates why. There’s no easy matches for Federer. Doesn’t exactly has Nadal’s number. I’d consider Federer a GOAT if he ever beat Nadal on Clay. That’s the obstacle. Nadal has done well his head to head in finals at Wimbledon at 1-2.
Djokovic comfortably has both Nadal and Federer, even at their peak. That’s scary.
Novak has already beaten Federer 3 times in Wimbledon finals. Supposedly his best surface.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Was every bit the epic we could hope for, even if it meant staying up beyond 4am.

I've always been more a Novak than Fedal fan, so enjoyed the result, but still keenly felt all the nervy moments for Federer as well (like in 2014).

On the GOAT discussion, it is worth remembering that Novak at the same age had more grand slam match wins than Fed, about the same number of titles & GS titles, and a lot more M1000s.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
errrrr...he is kinda right. Not about Novak only winning because of it but how the competition is weak.

lets ignore the big 3. superstars, GOATS etc etc etc. But to win Wimbledon, Novak beat a 37-year-old in 5 sets and.............

Who else is there......Only 1 current player can break apart the big 3 . that is Thiem at the French. We can't complain about how boring the men's side was until the semi and then say the competition is strong because he beat one fantastic player.

I remember when this GOAT discussion was young and the common complaint about Federer was that he had no competition.....At least he had Safin, Hewitt and Roddick....

Safin, Hewitt and Roddick.

You can’t be serious. They only picked up trophies when Sampras was done and Federer was very young.

Once Fed kicked in they all started getting steamrolled because they were bang average in an average period for tennis.

It’s funny that people focus on Novak beating Fed as a 37 year old overnight but ignore the times he’s beaten him before that.

They also ignore who Federer beat before Novak and Nadal turned up to challenge him.

It’s quite funny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back