Grand Slam Wimbledon 2021 - CONGRATS ASH BARTY! 🥳🍺🎉🎾

Who will win?

• Total voters
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I'm still massively buzzing from that win. I think it might even be my fave of the 7 post-Cash slams. Watching all seven matches live on television is something I never quite did with the others, and each slam this year Ash has come in with an uncertainty narrative around the Covid break, the clay injury, and then the injury/surface match practice. And it is Wimbledon. On grass. The historical stars aligning, and arguably the toughest-fought final of all those seven slams once Karo got into the contest.

Last edited:

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm still massively buzzing from that win. I think it might even be my fave of the 7 post-Cash slams. Watching all seven matches live on television is something I never quite did with the others, and each slam this year Ash has come in with an uncertainty narrative around the Covid break, the clay injury, and then the injury/surface match practice. And it is Wimbledon. On grass. The historical stars aligning, and arguably the toughest-fought final of all those seven slams once Karo got into the contest.
It was awesome. I got more emotional after Barty's win than I did for Stosur, Hewitt or Rafter's victories. The semi was as impressive as the final for me. Kerber was on a good winning streak on the grass and lifted her level big time in the 2nd set. That Ash matched and raised that level in such an important match was a big sign.

If you can, listen to the First Serve podcast (hosted by Brett Phillips). They dedicated the full 40 minutes to Barty's win. He spoke to Tizer and Molik about it.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
It was awesome. I got more emotional after Barty's win than I did for Stosur, Hewitt or Rafter's victories. The semi was as impressive as the final for me. Kerber was on a good winning streak on the grass and lifted her level big time in the 2nd set. That Ash matched and raised that level in such an important match was a big sign.

If you can, listen to the First Serve podcast (hosted by Brett Phillips). They dedicated the full 40 minutes to Barty's win. He spoke to Tizer and Molik about it.
Yeah the SF was one of the best matches I've seen in some time, a lot more difficult, accountable and intelligent a contest to win than the final. I'll be remembering that match for a long long time as a big fan of both players. I was more nervous in the early three rounds when you couldn't take a set for granted and didn't know how Ash would pull up. But her level increased with each match and by the time she did away with Krejcikova it felt like something might be happening. The way she managed the Kerber test was so fkin impressive. I was a bit more emotional too than with the others, agreed.

Its not really fair on any overseas Aussies. Covid sucks

No China this year. You have Indian Wells in October, plus the Year End Champs hosted somewhere. But by the time the US Open comes around, she would have been overseas for 6 months. That is a long time. Especially if the Australian Open isn't held in Australia, then you would barely have a break.

She should ask for a special exemption like the Hollywood stars get. She could easily afford a mansion and a private plane.

It appears most of the Asian swing will not happen which is especially bad for the WTA tour - Lots of Aussie overseas based sporting professionals didn't return home in 2020 and this will happen again in 2021 - I suspect if the OZ Open is not held in OZ in 2022, then some Aussie tennis players may stay abroad for the year.

Craig Tiley will be desperate to promote Barty in Australia, but when she returns is anyone's guess.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Ash not playing the French really helped her to win Wimbledon. If she had gone deep in Paris she may have been too tired or anything to give Wimbledon her all. I hope she is still celebrating somewhere in the world.

Back