Grand Slam Wimbledon

Remove this Banner Ad

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
It will be interesting to see whether any players pull out since there's no points at stake.

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't agree. I would of liked to see all points frozen so players don't lose any ranking points and have their ranking impacted. I think a lot of players won't play. The stange thing maybe Krygios without the pressure might bloody win it.

I still can't get behind players losing ranking points and sliding down the rankings.

Yeah, I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have a slightly thinner field this year.

We'll have a thinner field because there are 20+ players from Russia and the Belarus who will not play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Will it even count as a grand slam?
Absolutely it will, just won't have the ranking points attached to it.
Just like the 2022 Men's Australian Open tournament missing the #1 due to what I believe being the wrong decision, this years Wimbledon is also clouded due to another decision being made that I don't agree with.

With so many good players missing from the Wimbledon Grand Slam draw due to being banned and no rankings points, there is an asterisk against the winners in my opinion.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bencic might be in doubt for Wimbledon, injured her ankle last night in the final looked pretty nasty, was able to play on for a couple of games but was clearly not herself

I didnt expect Serena to come back and play.

Serena realises this is here one chance to get that last slam. Iga's worst surface (honestly I'll be shocked if Iga is in the second week), and there aren't many grass courters and most of them have been taken out due to the ban. Don't think she will win but I get why she's trying.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
I am not a huge fan of Serena but I hope she does well. She is a champion and I have missed her a little bit in the last year.

Sounds like she is having fun with Ons in the doubles. In the semis. Picked a really good partner. Ons Jabeur must be one of my fav players. such an honest, hard-working player from a country and region where women in sport is not as developed as the rest of the world. Such a great role model

Remove this Banner Ad

Back