Wimbledon

Remove this Banner Ad

Funkalicous said:
Gonzales in a chance to beat Federer. I always figured the way to beat Federer is to make him run (like what Safin did in the AO) and if you let Gonzalez dictate the point, you'll be doing a lot of running. I doubt that'll happen though...
Correct.

Funkalicous said:
Hewitt will beat Lopez. I'm surprised Ancic lost lost to Lopez, but Hewitt will love to battle another baseline player.
Correct.

Funkalicous said:
I have a hunch that Johanson and Grojean will win the last 2 matches.
Grojean lost in 5, but the game could've gone either way. Tipped Johanson correctly.

Tips for the semi

Johanson to beat Roddick

Federer to beat Hewitt. :(

The Federer/Hewitt game could be close though. I noticed Hewitt was trying to get to the net a lot more in the QF match. He will have his opportunities to break like he always has, but it's critical that he holds all his service games. C'MON Lleyton!

on other wimbledon news

Woodbridge Says It's Time To Go - Wednesday, 29 June, 2005

Todd Woodbridge, the most successful doubles player in the Open Era history, surprised the world of tennis by announcing his retirement from the men's doubles tour this evening.

The defending Men's Doubles Champion, who has 82 doubles titles to his name, called a press conference at 7.10pm to say he was 'calling it a day'.

The Australian had hoped to notch up 10 Wimbledon Men's Double's titles, but his dream came to an abrupt end when, partnering Mahesh Bhupathi, he was knocked out of the second round by qualifiers.

"Things didn't work out according to plan," he told reporters. "I didn't even come to this tournament planning to retire. But I felt I had so many good, strong memories here, it was the right place to do it and the right time in my career to do it."

For the past three years the Australian has won the Men's Doubles event with Jonas Bjorkman. He also took the title with the Swede in 2000 and, alongside Mark Woodforde, was the holder between 1993 and 1997.

The news comes shortly before Australia prepares for the Davis Cup. "I had to make an announcement because our Australian Davis Cup team is getting ready to play the quarter-final against Argentina," he continued. "I felt it was unfair to sort of sit on the fence for a few more days for them. They need to be clear on what they've got to do."

Woodbridge added: "The seed has been planted in my head for a couple of weeks. I think it germinated here when I didn't play too well in the dubs."

The Sydneysider described his best memory as his first Wimbledon win with compatriot Mark Woodforde in 1993. "Coming from Australia there are two goals, I think, as a player and they're to play Davis Cup and win Wimbledon. The moment you become a Wimbledon champion, you take a step up as a tennis player. That was probably the first time where I felt I had made it as a player."

Woodbridge cited his reasons for retiring as "completely personal". He has not won a tournament since January and promised he would call it a day when he began losing matches.

But he will have fond memories of The Championships, where he has also notched up two Junior Doubles titles, a Mixed title and one appearance in a singles semi-final. "All of my greatest results came here," he said. "[Wimbledon is a] place that sometimes people come here and they don't feel comfortable, they feel nervous. I came here and felt like I was absolutely at ease, at home, and enjoyed every time I could walk out on the court.

"I think I held the place with so much respect that mentally I focused better here and I kept my temper in check. Everything I did here was very purposeful. You know, that's why for me this was the best place to retire."

But it's not over yet. With his Australian partner Samantha Stosur, the 34-year-old won his Mixed Doubles match today and will appear in the quarter-finals tomorrow

:(

roostersgal4eva said:
i think its gonna be a federa/roddick final BUT i am hoping that the results are the opposite!

C'MMMMMMONNN!!!

That c'mmmoon chant is part of reason I so despise Hewitt.
That and those annoying boganish Aussie Fanatic fans who always embarrass the country of Australia wherever they are seen around the world.
They reduce the dignity of the flag those w@nkers.

Ricketts said:
Why? Roddick and Federer are clearly the top 2, cant have them in the same half.
Roddick is NOT clearly top 2 by a long stretch, if you said, arguably, then I'd agree with you.

You could say that Roddick and Hewitt are both arguably 2nd and 3rd in the world, regardless of what order. Therefore, they should both have the luxury of avoiding Federer in the semis. I'm not saying that Roddick should play Federer in a semi, I'm saying that the 4th seed, in this case, Johannson (Nadal was #4) should face off with Federer.

If Hewitt were to beat Federer, I'd say that we would have all been robbed of the best possible final, that being, Federer v Hewitt.

celtic_pride said:
That and those annoying boganish Aussie Fanatic fans who always embarrass the country of Australia wherever they are seen around the world.

The cmon chant hey? What's wrong with showing a bit of emotion?
The fanatics? Unless they are doing illegal acts or getting in fights then how are they embarassing us? They are passionate and loyal to Aussie sports people. It seems you have a problem with people who show emotion or passion whether it be Lleyton or the fanatics. Are you a timid, feeble person who is too timid to display emotion and show some passion? Is that why you are so against people who do?

BomberAUS said:
Go Federer you King!

How about you change your name to "Bomber", or even better pi$$ off over to Switzerland!

Are people scared because Hewitt has a bit of character or personality, or because he is a great player, tough opponent and an allround Aussie fighter?

Don't hate him cause of the way he expresses himself on the court, support him because he's Aussie!!!

Warmo said:
How about you change your name to "Bomber", or even better pi$$ off over to Switzerland!

Are people scared because Hewitt has a bit of character or personality, or because he is a great player, tough opponent and an allround Aussie fighter?

Don't hate him cause of the way he expresses himself on the court, support him because he's Aussie!!!

I'm embarassed that he calls himself a bomber fan!

Scout, of course the commentators are biased and want Lleyton to win!!!

And I just wanted to say that Channel Nine is a disgrace. For South Australian viewers, they always put the tennis on at 10:30. Last night we joined the coverage when Lleyton was already up a set. This is the one of the best tennis tournament in the world, and Lleyton is the only Aussie left so couldn't they put it on from the outset instead of showing Comedy Ink!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

celtic_pride said:

They are great! Love em.

eastaugh36 said:
One minute you stick up for Hewitt and the next you bag me. WTF are you on? :eek:

Yer sorry mate, I took it as if you were having a stab at me (I am also a bomber fan, but you obviously meant BomberAUS), just gets me fired up when people have a go at LLeyton and the way he plays or acts on the court.

P.S. Simon Eastaugh was a champion on his day. :) ;)

Warmo said:

OH great, i suppose he should support Martin Bryant as well, just because he is Australian.
Your argument won't wash and it must be disconerting for hewitt that half of the country wants him to lose.

Warmo said:
Yer sorry mate, I took it as if you were having a stab at me (I am also a bomber fan, but you obviously meant BomberAUS), just gets me fired up when people have a go at LLeyton and the way he plays or acts on the court.

P.S. Simon Eastaugh was a champion on his day. :) ;)

Yeah I meant Bomber AUS. These morons bagging Hewitt have no idea. They are the type who got picked on at school and therefore have low self esteem. Hence, bagging everyone that is the exact opposite to them.

celtic_pride said:
OH great, i suppose he should support Martin Bryant as well, just because he is Australian.
Your argument won't wash and it must be disconerting for hewitt that half of the country wants him to lose.

You're a clown. I was over on the basketball board and you are getting stuck into Andrew Bogut. You have serious self esteem issues. :rolleyes:

celtic_pride said:
QUOTE]

Yeah you can really compare Hewitt to a mass murderer. There are many dimwits on bigfooty but you would almost take the cake. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back