Wimmera League 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on this year?? My ladder predictions although who would know. Wide open this year!

Warracknabeal
Giants
Saints
MM
Stawell

Nhill
Horsham
Dimboola
Ararat

Very wide open. That would be a big drop for Horsham - when is the last time they didn't play finals?

I suspect the Giants will be amongst the teams fighting it out for fourth and fifth. They were handy in the HDFL, but the WFL is a different beast and most clubs seem to be looking stronger this year as well.

I see where you’re coming from with Horsham, but jeezthey’ve lost a hell of a lot of senior players. And the other top teams only seem to have picked up. If Horsham do have a down year you can guarantee though it’ll be a once off.

Giants are the big unknown. I agree they are top 5 at least. I picked second as they’ve only lost a couple from last year but picked up some serious guns but who would know.

Really looking forward to seeing the round one match up with the eagles.

Yeah everyone will be watching that game closely. They've taken the challenge to come to the WFL so no doubt they'll be wanting to ruffle a few feathers, especially early on.

Every year when Horsham seem to lose a few they find a way. I'm hoping they don't make finals, as it would be nice to see someone else have a go, but I feel like they'll do enough to keep it together.

Thoughts on this year?? My ladder predictions although who would know. Wide open this year!

Warracknabeal
Giants
Saints
MM
Stawell

Nhill
Horsham
Dimboola
Ararat

Nice work! Bloody hard year to pick it! i think most teams will improve and you could make an argument for any team finishing in the top 5. except maybe dimboola. And even Dimmy have a lot of high quality talent coming down from darwin!! Exciting times!

Also i find it interesting that Jesse Murphy has been cleared to play for another club. I would've thought with all the talented ex locals coming back to the club this year he would have wanted to try win a premiership in his home town. Disappointing for the club!

Very wide open. That would be a big drop for Horsham - when is the last time they didn't play finals?

I suspect the Giants will be amongst the teams fighting it out for fourth and fifth. They were handy in the HDFL, but the WFL is a different beast and most clubs seem to be looking stronger this year as well.

Yes agreed the WFL as a whole is a lot stronger with bigger populations and more depth than district league however i wouldnt be surprised if the giants are atleast fighting for top 3 as some years the so called level and standard of the WFL can be grossly overrated.

I am not convinced the league will be stronger this year-look at reigning premiers horshams departures. If they are still up the top then i would say the league has dropped off a notch and everyone else has just caught up but will have to wait and see. A lot of clubs have lost more quality than gained looking at clearance page in my opinion.

I am also not convinced the premiers over the last few years are as strong or would even get near some of the horsham teams that won 10 in a row. They absolutely dominated some years.

Plus not too many years ago the so called major league WFL interleague team got quite the reality check and touch up from a struggling Mallee team in a league that folded not long after.

Whilst its going to be exciting with a new team in this year im not confident the standard of the league will improve is all i am saying and i think the best of the hdfl in yhe giants will be quite strong initially atleast anyway.

Looking forward to this year, i could be wrong and eating my words once i see a few games but only time will tell!

Also i find it interesting that Jesse Murphy has been cleared to play for another club. I would've thought with all the talented ex locals coming back to the club this year he would have wanted to try win a premiership in his home town. Disappointing for the club!
Agree. I thought he would definately want in and be a big part if they were to get it done. I had them as clear preseason favourites but now still have warrack, saints and MM in my top 3 with giants nearby just no clue in what order! Going to be tight at the top

Yeah all fair points. Perhaps the standard will come back a pegging or two, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing if it means a more even comp (fingers crossed).

And we've already had our first match. Ararat 16.11-107 to Stawell 8.3-51. Seems like a reasonably one-sided affair, but I'm not sure we should read too much into it given this is VERY early Round 1. Anyone go along and have a look?

Yeah all fair points. Perhaps the standard will come back a pegging or two, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing if it means a more even comp (fingers crossed).

And we've already had our first match. Ararat 16.11-107 to Stawell 8.3-51. Seems like a reasonably one-sided affair, but I'm not sure we should read too much into it given this is VERY early Round 1. Anyone go along and have a look?
On the wfl and ararat facebook page it is saying that was the score at 3/4q time...final score was apparently 142 to 59 which is an absolute hiding!

Yes its only round 1 and the rats play their home deck well but i think they will be in the mix for top 5 and stawell set to struggle bigtime!

Oh whoops - I just took that from the WFL site (which certainly doesn't mean it's correct). The Rats do play well at home, but that's still a very decent win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full story is widely known around the area.

With Anthony gone, Driscoll out for 12 months with an ACL and looking at Stawell's twos side from the weekend where they had 10-12 ringins it could be a very long season for them now.
fair enough - Anthony had a bit of a reputation as a loose cannon when he was at the pies.

Full story is widely known around the area.

With Anthony gone, Driscoll out for 12 months with an ACL and looking at Stawell's twos side from the weekend where they had 10-12 ringins it could be a very long season for them now.
Can anyone hint at the full story?

A hint is that he was caught trying to sell a few nose beers as well as a standard pot whilst working over easter.
Stawell will finish bottom in both grades. The wheels have fallen off. They only have a dozen reserves players at best.

Can anyone hint at the full story?
A hint is that he was caught trying to sell a few nose beers as well as a standard pot whilst working over easter.
Stawell will finish bottom in both grades. The wheels have fallen off. They only have a dozen reserves players at best.
Give or take the above with a little more as well.

Big meeting taking place at Stawell tonight with major changes happening. Be interesting to see what happens. Rumour had it that Anthony was meant to be moving into a higher role in a few weeks but with this happening I think it may have changed some plans.

It will be very interesting to see what Stawell can salvage this season.

Makes it tough playing for a club when off-field stuff gets in the way. Hopefully they have a positive meeting; still plenty of the season to go yet.

Is he still part of the club?
Based on the media release I'm assuming not. I guess the meeting might be about how the club continues with its season to date - getting beaten round 1, and then trying to get numbers for a practice match while waiting five weeks for round 3, wouldn't be the ideal preparation for the start of the season.

Warriors definately favourites for the spoon on the back of all this news.

Anthony must not have made much effort to hide whatever he was doing as plenty of this has gone on in many a footy club community without major repercussions previously.

I find it stupid and almost laughable that in the AFL there is the 3 strikes and your out policy yet he has been sacked straight up in country footy. Maybe there is more to it but. Im not sure.

Overall though credit to stawell for having the balls to sack him and preserve their culture despite them being up s#!t creek with player numbers.

Some interesting results with the senior footy already. Giants over Eagles, Burras over Giants & Eagles over Burras. Saints look to be off the pace early, lacking tall timber.
Disappointing to see the Giants struggling to field junior football sides. No U12's & a handful of U17's. Surely not viable long term

Some interesting results with the senior footy already. Giants over Eagles, Burras over Giants & Eagles over Burras. Saints look to be off the pace early, lacking tall timber.
Disappointing to see the Giants struggling to field junior football sides. No U12's & a handful of U17's. Surely not viable long term

What option do the giants have re juniors though? They have all the kids available from their area playing, they just don’t have the numbers.

It’s great for the competition that they have joined the WFL. Has given the senior competition a shot in the arm that was long overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back