Wimmera League 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How bout them Rats though! Might finally be putting it together and could be in for a strong year after a few years in the wilderness.

Stawell impressed on the weekend too, it would be good to see a resurgence from these two towns. The Horsham sides have been dominate in the the league for far too long.

Giants looked good today. They have worked their way nicely through the year. Built into some really good form. Surely Horsham will get back to face them in the gf? They seem better then Ararat or saints.

Yes, kudos to Giants on making their way through. I imagine Alexandra Oval would have suited their playing style nicely too.

I think I am correct in saying that Saints have beaten the Giants twice this year, but it would be a fair task for them to get through to the Grand Final. It shows the top five has been pretty even all year though, with Saints only just getting over Warrack last week in a great game.

I'd say the Giants have proved beyond doubt that they should have been in the WFL the previous two seasons. They were always too dominant for the HDFL. I think it's also another strong argument for promotion/relegation and I'm disappointed that after all of the discussions and reviews at league level this season nothing is really going to change next year (not even a merger of the governing bodies).

Today's results in both grades should be close too I'd say. We'll find out soon enough.

What are the predictions for both grades?

I think Horsham might be able to reverse their fortunes from the Second Semi-Final and sneak over the line by about eight points. The slightly smaller ground may help. In the Reserves, I fear Saints will be too hard to beat for the Burras and they'll get up by around 23.

Head says Horsham heart says giants to complete fairytale season coming up from district league.

By far the two best teams all year and giants will need to start faster than last time out. Only demons early innacuracy kept them in it.

I think horsham will win by 2 goals. Not a fan of the horsham based clubs, couldnt draw a crowd from their pissy supporter bases if their life depended on it! Really hope im wrong...GO GIANTS!

some very good pick ups for Dim this year according to the Mail Times - should enable them to be far more competitive.

Predictions for this year?

Mine below

Horsham
Warracknabeal

Saints
Ararat
Giants

MM

Stawell
Dimboola

Nhill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, it's certainly at Davis Park. Not the first time I've seen grounds listed incorrectly.

Should be a cracking finals series coming up? MM in the box seat but I don’t think their undefeated season really indicates just how close all the top 5 are. Any side can beat each other on their day.

Yeah this could be a season spoken about for a long time to come, with some very close results. Everyone would be going in with confidence. Hopefully someone can take the flag who hasn't done so since at least the early 2000s.

Has been a good year for wimmera football leauge I think,

No teams with 0 wins. plenty of upsets and improvements from sides like Ararat, Stawell & even Dimboola scared some top of the table side and took some good wins.

MM should raise the cup with ease. i think lossing two grand finals has hit them hard and they have stayed strong as a club to still be at the top of the table. but if anyone is to knock them off it will be the giants on a good day and Murtoa to choke ( again unfortunately haha)..

next year will be interesting as always with warrack having Rooey retire and argall to coach laharum.. rumours luke fischer is off to rupanyup. Horsham's stalwarts getting to the point of retirement.Rumours Dimboola have got Darren Ewing to come to dimboola for next year

Has been a good year for wimmera football leauge I think,

No teams with 0 wins. plenty of upsets and improvements from sides like Ararat, Stawell & even Dimboola scared some top of the table side and took some good wins.

MM should raise the cup with ease. i think lossing two grand finals has hit them hard and they have stayed strong as a club to still be at the top of the table. but if anyone is to knock them off it will be the giants on a good day and Murtoa to choke ( again unfortunately haha)..

next year will be interesting as always with warrack having Rooey retire and argall to coach laharum.. rumours luke fischer is off to rupanyup. Horsham's stalwarts getting to the point of retirement.Rumours Dimboola have got Darren Ewing to come to dimboola for next year
From an article in the mail times a while ago it said that Mckenzie is just stepping down as coach after 4 years but will continue as a player.

Well done Burras on an undefeated season.

Looking at some posts here from start of the year and most of us had them written them off! Great effort to turn it around after last year

It was great to see MM come away with the flag. They were the standout team all year; although I was worried they could stumble at the last hurdle only because the season had been even all year.

Also congrats to Ararat on winning the Twos flag, also off an undefeated season. That's not easy to do. I feared one of the other sides might have been able to snatch it by putting a few senior blokes back in. But they were definitely the best team all year and deserved the win.

Rats loosing quite a few I hear, Ganley x 2, Mendes x 3& Giants losing Mcnally and Weddell, any other clubs losing big names?

Looking at Top 4 from 2019
MM
In: L Fisher, N Petering, L Johns
Out:T McIntyre
Giants
In:
Out: S Weddell, R McNally
Ararat
In: B Taylor, J Robinson
Out: D Mendes, J Ganley, H Ganley, N Mendes, C Mendes, D Shelly
Saints
In: L Hendy, D Rees