AFL Toast WIN against West Coast! - Rd 14 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay. If we hadn't been winning I think I would have burst a blood vessel with the umpiring.

Natanui is going to cop it all week for his acting when Bellchambers punched him lols

He should also cop it for failing to take a mark. For a bloke that big and athletic that is piss weak.

Watching the replay. If we hadn't been winning I think I would have burst a blood vessel with the umpiring.

Usually don’t let it bother me but that seriously was ridiculous. Three WA umpires! They would have mostly likely all grown up Eagles supporters.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of pessimism, but people losing their s**t and calling the team embarrassing after WINNING against Brisbane away (where no team in the league has properly collared the Lions) was a bit OTT.

Natanui is going to cop it all week for his acting when Bellchambers punched him lols

big tough guy likes to smash under sized mids but when tommy bell hits him up he sinks quicker than s**t in water.

I’ll admit I have been critical of the Brown selection, largely due to his lack of presence - but he was key in the first qtr, both in the forward 50 and up on the wing. The game was over after that.

Dea performed a couple of very gutsy acts too, and with Hooker back he’s not being asked to defend players too big for him. I think both deserve to hold their spots.

I was also very critical of the leaders and bemoaned the lack of physical intent - tackling, shepherds, blocks etc, but geez they’ve turned it around. It’s been a very satisfying 5 weeks since the Carlton game. Even the Richmond game I thought we were ok, Richmond were just clinical when we turned it over, and were too good as a result.

Even if we lose games, it’s hard to be critical when our intent and physicality is at the level it’s at now

For anyone who plays social team sport, you see that same ref or umpire week after week after week. You know that if you build a positive relationship with the ref or umpire over time, the 50-50 calls start going your way. It's human behaviour. It's wrong that the same umpires call the games in Western australia. My feeling is that the umpires have built good, positive relationships with many of the players in the west and now a lot of the 50-50 calls go their way. My theory anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The crazy thing about the umpire situation is that bias is unconscious. It’s actually not their fault it’s just a fact of life. The Afl are in fact setting them up to fail at their job and they should refuse to umpire games involving teams they grew up supporting.

For anyone who plays social team sport, you see that same ref or umpire week after week after week. You know that if you build a positive relationship with the ref or umpire over time, the 50-50 calls start going your way. It's human behaviour. It's wrong that the same umpires call the games in Western australia. My feeling is that the umpires have built good, positive relationships with many of the players in the west and now a lot of the 50-50 calls go their way. My theory anyway.
Doesn't seem to apply for Fremantle.

They HATE Dean Margetts with a passion over here.

It's completely correct and pertinent to say they were undermanned though. They clearly were and it hurt them. Sure we were too but so what? Making too much of it. It doesn't devalue the win to recognise the loss of Darling and Kennedy was a factor

It's a literal interpretation. They played like a bunch of girls last night.

As far as the umpiring goes, I think they need to give the umpires more opportunity to interpret the play and not just make black and white rulings, after all they've all had long and successful playing careers at the top level. What an absolute ****ing disaster

Got the 4 points. Great start and did enough in the other 3 quarters.
No surprise 2018 is the year of #FREEKICKWESTCOAST
Triple S Excellent. Great work by the back 6 (albeit the Eagles kicked horribly) and sustained pressure.

If we can get Parish, Colyer, Franga, Ridley and Ambrose in pushing for spots we'll be super competitive.

Green (omitted) and Redman (injured) would be the only outs for mine for the Roos game.

Shouldn't risk Zacka or Joe later in the year unless we're a real real chance for top 8.

Mckernan does some dumb things But the 50 for being in the west coast 15 m protected zone was just plain horse s**t

I reckon where the umpires set the eagles players off to the side of mitch Brown when he marked on the goal line was closer to Mitch Brown than what McKernan was to the eagles player too.

Bit we've been through the umpire bias.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back