AFL Toast WIN against West Coast! - Rd 14 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

How come Shuey (I think) is allowed to abuse an umpire after making cleary the right call? Anyone got a gif? It's remarkable given the 50's we've had paid against us for lessser incidents.

How come Shuey (I think) is allowed to abuse an umpire after making cleary the right call? Anyone got a gif? It's remarkable given the 50's we've had paid against us for lessser incidents.
#DemeanerGate

Hmmm not a bad reply but I want more :) You said the season was over. We now need to win 6 from 8. Is our season over right now like it was last week, or were you wrong and was I right? :D. I’m not talking about what we might be thinking next week or the week after, I want to know is our season over right now?

Yeah, it’s over.

I think you’re underestimating how far back we’re coming from.

Yeah, it’s over.

I think you’re underestimating how far back we’re coming from.
Statistically we are a chance. We have to win 75% of our games. The last 5 weeks we are running at 80%. It's clearly not black and white. It would really help if North and Dees/Pies/Cats drop off badly.

Statistically we are a chance. We have to win 75% of our games. The last 5 weeks we are running at 80%. It's clearly not black and white. It would really help if North and Dees/Pies/Cats drop off badly.
We have a worse draw than all of those teams, and GWS + Hawthorn which we also need to get on top of. We need to bury a few teams to improve our crap percentage.

You can sometimes get into the 8 with 12 wins (if you are really lucky) more typically 13. They are predicting you will need 14 this year given the soft draws of the sides fighting for a spot in the 8. So we need 8 more wins out of 9 games and we still have to play Port in Adelaide, Richmond at MCG, Swans.

We have a worse draw than all of those teams, and GWS + Hawthorn which we also need to get on top of. We need to bury a few teams to improve our crap percentage.

You can sometimes get into the 8 with 12 wins (if you are really lucky) more typically 13. They are predicting you will need 14 this year given the soft draws of the sides fighting for a spot in the 8. So we need 8 more wins out of 9 games and we still have to play Port in Adelaide, Richmond at MCG, Swans.
Yep it's fairly unlikely. Going on form Gws aren't a contender. I reckon the only way it works is if North drop off and Hawks miss a few. Injuries could make a huge difference too. We lose a few and we are cooked.

Things can change. Melbourne were also sitting at 8-5 last year and we all know what happened to them...

Very true, without the pessimists of the world how would we ever not have achieved great things or had people that we didn't want to invite out to dinner.

Without a healthy dose of pessimism, we would be unprepared for things to go wrong. The pessimists of the world build shelters against storms, make dams to get through droughts, build buildings that withstand earthquakes, while the optimists blissfully dream of nothing ever going wrong.
You can look at life lots of ways, and the pessimists of the world get a bad wrap, because everyone loves optimism and positivity.

Without a healthy dose of pessimism, we would be unprepared for things to go wrong. The pessimists of the world build shelters against storms, make dams to get through droughts, build buildings that withstand earthquakes, while the optimists blissfully dream of nothing ever going wrong.
You can look at life lots of ways, and the pessimists of the world get a bad wrap, because everyone loves optimism and positivity.
Oh please. That's such rubbish. You're confusing pessimism with pragmatism.

And generally optimists understand full well s**t happens sometimes. They simply don't spend their lives cowering under a rock because of it.

In so many ways you create your own reality. This isn't just just a metaphor, this is actually a central tenet of quantum physics.

If you expect bad s**t to happen, it's more likely bad s**t will happen. Not because of any magic but because confirmation bias is inherent in our brains

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you believe that pessimists are the ones that get things done you are more of an optimist than you might think.

I find that stuff so frustrating because there's no free for the original action which is just a straight push in the back but then the guy who retaliates always gets pinged. Either the first action is wrong too or you just let them both go.
Yeah I agree.

In the real world, a person doesn't/shouldn't escape punishment for punching someone because their victim retaliates with their own punch. It's not a "last one to break the law loses" scenario. Both have broken the law, both are (in theory) published.

The AFL should punish both if it breaches their rules (it would need to be an out of game punishment).

Oh please. That's such rubbish. You're confusing pessimism with pragmatism.

And generally optimists understand full well s**t happens sometimes. They simply don't spend their lives cowering under a rock because of it.

In so many ways you create your own reality. This isn't just just a metaphor, this is actually a central tenet of quantum physics.

If you expect bad s**t to happen, it's more likely bad s**t will happen. Not because of any magic but because confirmation bias is inherent in our brains

It's not rubbish. It's just different to how you like to look at he world.
Pessimists are much more likely to be pragmatic than optimists, because they recognise the possibility (probability, if you like, depending on the degree of pessimism) of things going wrong. Optimists don't like to think about things going wrong.
I understand that you associate pessimism with fear, and so you call it cowardly. It's a valid point of view.
But it is also a valid point of view to fear falling from great heights, and so choose not to abseil, skydive, or mountain climb. You probably would call that fear cowardly, whereas I would call it a healthy fear.
And confirmation bias is where a person interprets events to confirm an already held point of view. It doesn't make events happen.
My golfing partner says if you believe you're going to hole a putt, you are more likely to. But I've holed a lot of putts I thought I wouldn't, and vice versa.
It's crap. Or so I believe, but he swears by it. That's confirmation bias for you.

Last edited:
That rule is the worst piss it off

Also 50m penalty for not giving the ball back is crap too unless the player throws the ball into the crowd or useses it to hurt a player then that's when it should be 50 why should it be 50 if he drops the ball to the ground?
The thing that dhits me is when a free is awrded and the player on the mark keeps bodying over the ball so the player awrded the free cant get to it. Total time wating but they do nothing about it. West coast did it numerous times and wasted 5 seconds each time allowing their players to get in position. If the afl is seriuos if the oppostion player impedes the player from getting to the ball it should be a 50 m penalty

If you believe that pessimists are the ones that get things done you are more of an optimist than you might think.

The idea that being a pessimist would mean you can't get things done is just another unwarranted put down of a pessimist. My idea of a pessimist is one who sees and acknowledges the likelihood of bad outcomes, and gives them due weight, or, being pessimistic, maybe excessive weight. Whereas Lance Uppercut thinks that is just a pragmatist, and you can be optimistic and pragmatic at the same time.
We are all praised for so called positivity, the overriding belief that all will turn our right. I believe in hope, which is a long step back from full on optimism, which I see as hope, combined with a refusal to acknowledge, or an understatement of, likelihoods.
Anyway, enough philosophy.
I just don't like to see people howled down for saying so called "negative" things.
The original poster (Macca?) seemed to be being told that he had been negative in the past, and so shouldn't enjoy the win, and that his negative views showed cowardice in not having the courage to expect a win and risk disappointment, which I think is a bit rough.

The idea that being a pessimist would mean you can't get things done is just another unwarranted put down of a pessimist. My idea of a pessimist is one who sees and acknowledges the likelihood of bad outcomes, and gives them due weight, or, being pessimistic, maybe excessive weight. Whereas Lance Uppercut thinks that is just a pragmatist, and you can be optimistic and pragmatic at the same time.
We are all praised for so called positivity, the overriding belief that all will turn our right. I believe in hope, which is a long step back from full on optimism, which I see as hope, combined with a refusal to acknowledge, or an understatement of, likelihoods.
Anyway, enough philosophy.
I just don't like to see people howled down for saying so called "negative" things.
The original poster (Macca?) seemed to be being told that he had been negative in the past, and so shouldn't enjoy the win, and that his negative views showed cowardice in not having the courage to expect a win and risk disappointment, which I think is a bit rough.

I didn’t mean to be putting down pessimists, to be honest I didn’t think anyone aspired to, or labeled themself, a pessimist. Just optimistic or pessimistic about ‘things’.

Anyway, agree all Essendon supporters get to enjoy that win. Hopefully few more wins like Thursday and we can all be optimistic more often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back