Review Win for the ages

Remove this Banner Ad

Took 13 steps i think. Was close though. Don't think any umpire would have had the balls to pay such a free given the circumstances and the crowd, unless it was blatantly obvious, which it most definitely wasn't.
Took 12 steps. The first one was to steady himself as he took the ball, two were to sidestep and the last two were to steady himself for the kick so those five were pretty short. if you put the speed on the video of the last two minutes to 0.25 it's easy to see that it wouldn't be called.

Took 12 steps. The first one was to steady himself as he took the ball, two were to sidestep and the last two were to steady himself for the kick so those five were pretty short. if you put the speed on the video of the last two minutes to 0.25 it's easy to see that it wouldn't be called.

It is like the "6-seconds rule" in soccer, when the keeper marks the ball, he has 6 seconds to put it back in play. It is never called before 10 seconds.

Motlop would need to go more five, ten meters ahead to be called. It was the correct decision.

Motlop wasn’t even close to running too far. I reckon I’ve seen players take the ball half way between the 50 and the goal and run all the way to the goalsquare without bouncing. Umpires never call those.
Sort of like the travel rule in the NBA these days. Not uncommon for players to take 3-4 steps leading into a dunk, or after gaining possession in the backcourt.

Sort of like the travel rule in the NBA these days. Not uncommon for players to take 3-4 steps leading into a dunk, or after gaining possession in the backcourt.

Also a bit like how you can infringe in various ways taking a speccy mark but as long as you complete the mark the umpires let it go because the AFL don’t want that aspect of the game removed......unless you’re Daniel Motlop and Darren Goldspink pays a free against you in Tassie for pushing your Hawthorn opponent in the back with your feet....

tKjOAdV.gif
This is the greatest!!

It is like the "6-seconds rule" in soccer, when the keeper marks the ball, he has 6 seconds to put it back in play. It is never called before 10 seconds.

Motlop would need to go more five, ten meters ahead to be called. It was the correct decision.

I only catch a bit of EPL, and I used to watch a bit of Serie A a few years ago but I've never seen it called. Not that I've ever seen goalies hold onto the ball for ages. Is the roll of the ball like the bounce in AFL and does it start another set of 6 seconds?

As to the length of the run, umpires are sometimes a bit lax, but usually only for the spectacular moves. I have seen Lewis Jetta speed into the fifty at a hell of a lick and run at least 30 metres before kicking a goal. On the other side I have seen Jimmy Bartel called up because he may have only just gone over 15 metres, and he did not actually gain 15 metres but went 8 metres one way then went back on himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve seen Franklin run 25 metres to goal more than once.

“Buddy’s natural long step”.

Joel Garner ran a cricket pitch in 6 steps, so his 15 steps would be 50 yards!

I love seeing goal celebrations by teammates 20-50-100m away from the ball in the background.
^ :D
Watching the replay I paused it as Mot's kick sailed thru'. Footage was from the camera behind the Northern goal.
Paddy has his arm raised in the middle, TC (Clurey) has both arms raised at Half Back, Ollie is off the ground punching air
and Mots is in the midst of a murder of crows. Talk about a moment in time.
Apologies if it's already been done but one of youse with the replay take a screen pic of this and put it on here.
It's beeeeee uuuuuuuuuu teehee full.

Neade clearly pushed McGovern in the back, Sam Grey threw the ball to Motlop who ran 30 metres before his kick was touched off the boot by McKay. Not going to change the result though.
I wish every one of those was right. It would be a "right in front of me!" moment and the salt would be delicious. It's too bad the cows fan at the bottom of the road is one of those wimpy fans who wouldn't even say boo to a goose or I could be having a great old time now.

I’ve seen Franklin run 25 metres to goal more than once.

“Buddy’s natural long step”.
Natural long step.
Natural arc.
Natural head-high bumps.
Natural pushing-Hombsch-in-the-back-strolling-into-goal, turning around and waiting for the ump to pay the obvious free kick.

Lance "Buddy-Natural" Franklin.

^ :D
Watching the replay I paused it as Mot's kick sailed thru'. Footage was from the camera behind the Northern goal.
Paddy has his arm raised in the middle, TC (Clurey) has both arms raised at Half Back, Ollie is off the ground punching air
and Mots is in the midst of a murder of crows. Talk about a moment in time.
Apologies if it's already been done but one of youse with the replay take a screen pic of this and put it on here.
It's beeeeee uuuuuuuuuu teehee full.
Watched it over and over on 360 last night pausing it each time and looking at the players in the background. I'd title the image "Flashpoint". Worthy of going straight to the pool room.

Watched it over and over on 360 last night pausing it each time and looking at the players in the background. I'd title the image "Flashpoint". Worthy of going straight to the pool room.
It's funny but on first reading I thought that last sentence read "worthy of going straight to the pr0n room".

Would be just as fitting.

Also a bit like how you can infringe in various ways taking a speccy mark but as long as you complete the mark the umpires let it go because the AFL don’t want that aspect of the game removed......unless you’re Daniel Motlop and Darren Goldspink pays a free against you in Tassie for pushing your Hawthorn opponent in the back with your feet....

When you watch the footy this weekend, start taking notice of the types of short kicks that are paid as marks (must be at least 15 metres). Then, imagine for a second a player running over that same distance and ask yourself whether they would be called for running too far without bouncing the ball (again, 15 metres). Once you see how ridiculously short one version of 15 metres is compared to the other, you can't unsee it.

In practice, a mark gets paid for a 10 metre kick and running too far is more like 20-25 metres.

When you watch the footy this weekend, start taking notice of the types of short kicks that are paid as marks (must be at least 15 metres). Then, imagine for a second a player running over that same distance and ask yourself whether they would be called for running too far without bouncing the ball (again, 15 metres). Once you see how ridiculously short one version of 15 metres is compared to the other, you can't unsee it.

In practice, a mark gets paid for a 10 metre kick and running too far is more like 20-25 metres.

And yet, somehow, it makes sense...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back