Windows 10 BSOD

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Windows 10 helpfully updated itself last night and today I can't get more than about ten minutes usage before it BSODs with an APC_INDEX_MISMATCH error. Even more helpfully, it's one of these generic "shrug - FIIK" errors that could be ANY driver or a potential hardware fault.

Any clues on how to narrow down the search?

Thanks in advance
OTP

******* thing has crashed 36 times so far today.

I've checked and tested and reinstalled so much s**t my head is spinning.

The offending update is, of course, an un-uninstallable and un-rollbackable "service stack".

Any more of this s**t and it's "lets spend the next two days installing a virtual machine manager and linux" time.

page fault in non page area
reference by pointer
kmode exception not handled
irql not less or equal
apc index mismatch
kernel security check failure
driver overran stack buffer
win32kbase.sys
system service exception

^^^ single and multiple instances of the above errors so far

******* windows
campaignering thing

Fixed it. Second time its bitten me, pissed off I didn't remember the cure before.

Windows Update installing the service stack changed a registry key that affects amdppm.sys - which caused arguments between the processor and windoze.

******* microsoft.

Embrace the penguin

I have on my two other PCs.

Somewhere is an archive of emails and usenet posts I shared with Linus Torvalds after he announced he was writing his own kernel. I have history in this area :) But sometimes you have to do whats convenient and convenient in this instance was to upgrade my win7 machine hardware which unfortunately brought an unwanted requirement for win10 with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back